Launch Member

Advocate I

tarboro nc
First Name
Al
Last Name
Killebrew
Member #

Just me , the missus and hopefully the grand daughter will be joining us on more trips as she grows older. Cindy and I were long time tent campers and still make the ocassional overnight backpack but most of our camping for the past fifteen years has been from our small Scamp fifth wheel now pulled by a 19 Colorado. Looking forward to learning and contributing.

Al
IMG_6880 (3).JPG

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Just me , the missus and hopefully the grand daughter will be joining us on more trips as she grows older. Cindy and I were long time tent campers and still make the ocassional overnight backpack but most of our camping for the past fifteen years has been from our small Scamp fifth wheel now pulled by a 19 Colorado. Looking forward to learning and contributing.

Al
View attachment 137718
Hello Al and welcome to the OB crew....nice looking rig. Look forward to seeing your adventures.

overpakd

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

First Name
David
Last Name
Mayo
Member #

Sweet Bison! Welcome from another ZR2 North Carolinian!

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Welcome! Looks like you are familiar withe the OBX. Cool place I will be back! Any tips for my next trip? Ocracoke was very interesting.

huachuca

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

tarboro nc
First Name
Al
Last Name
Killebrew
Member #

Thanks for the kind words and warm welcome folks - appreciate it.

overpakd - Tacomas for the past fifteen years. Good trucks and no complaints but its good to be back with GM - just feels like home. There's also an older TJ and a Montero in the stable so I don't do much bragging on any particular brand.

FishinCrzy - Good eye, that photo was taken two weeks ago as we were coming up one of the ramps at Ocracoke. The folks there are struggling mightily from Dorian with a lot of damage still visible. Sorry, I can't help with fishing tips - anything beyond a night crawler, cork and cane pole is well beyond my skill level but we do camp over there as often as possible and I may be able to offer some suggestions there. Are you familiar with Cape Lookout National Seashore? That seems to be the mecca for serious surf fishing along our coast. We've been going out to the Portsmouth Island section since the late sixties and are hoping to put something together for late April or early May of this year. Maybe there's some interest from you or other folks on the board in joining us?

Al

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
First time I was up around Hatteras mid-October when they open most of the beaches to driving. I was talking with someone on here a while back that was trying to plan a trip to Cape Lookout around Memorial Day. Lookout is probably a little closer for me and I would love to get out there. Given enough time I can plan anything around work. I am planning to retire this year anyway and been burning a bunch of leave time. Always good to go with someone who knows the area. That rarely slows me down though! Yes, let me know what's up.
Rob

Reactions: JButtress

huachuca

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

tarboro nc
First Name
Al
Last Name
Killebrew
Member #

Rob, will definitely post back as things move forward with our plans. As best I can tell, the Park Service will not be re-opening the cabins on Portsmouth this summer so it'll be tenting only which isn't a problem for us. Whether they'll have the restrooms and showers open or get potable water back is still up in the air. Looks like things may be back to what they were in the old days.

Al

Reactions: FishinCrzy

JButtress

Rank VI

Traveler II

Chattanooga, TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Buttress
Member #

First time I was up around Hatteras mid-October when they open most of the beaches to driving. I was talking with someone on here a while back that was trying to plan a trip to Cape Lookout around Memorial Day. Lookout is probably a little closer for me and I would love to get out there. Given enough time I can plan anything around work. I am planning to retire this year anyway and been burning a bunch of leave time. Always good to go with someone who knows the area. That rarely slows me down though! Yes, let me know what's up.
Rob
A group and I did Cape Lookout last September, just days before Dorian hit. I would definitely love to go back this year with a bigger group for 4-5 days at least. Its such a relaxing and enjoyable place to spend some time

huachuca

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

tarboro nc
First Name
Al
Last Name
Killebrew
Member #

A group and I did Cape Lookout last September, just days before Dorian hit. I would definitely love to go back this year with a bigger group for 4-5 days at least. Its such a relaxing and enjoyable place to spend some time
I'm in the planning stages of an early to mid May 3-4 day tenting trip to the Portsmouth Island section of Cape Lookout NS. It would be me and the missus, likely our five year old grand daughter and possibly our daughter and SIL. Nothing super organized but anyone who might care to join us to share beach drives and an evening campfire would be welcome.

Basics for those unfamiliar with Cape Lookout National Seashore - A chain of barrier islands off the coast of NC accessible only by boat Cape Lookout National Seashore (U.S. National Park Service) Estimated round trip cost on the private ferry services is roughly $75/vehicle and $15/person; There are no other fees for visiting but a no charge permit is required for beach driving; 4WD high clearance vehicles strongly recommended; There are no stores, roads or services including medical assistance; Ice and fuel may be available but best to assume they will not be; Portsmouth Island cabins, restrooms, potable water and showers were severly damaged by Hurricane Dorian and are currently closed;

Al

Reactions: FishinCrzy

Altaholic

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Montesano, WA, USA
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Payton
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Hey there Huachuca, I'm Altaholic. I lived in E-City ad Chesapeake for a bunch of years and now I'm in WNC. If you get toward Asheville and want to explore off the beaten path send me a msg. Have a good one

huachuca

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

tarboro nc
First Name
Al
Last Name
Killebrew
Member #

Hey there Huachuca, I'm Altaholic. I lived in E-City ad Chesapeake for a bunch of years and now I'm in WNC. If you get toward Asheville and want to explore off the beaten path send me a msg. Have a good one
Thanks for the offer and just may take you up on it. We camp in Nantahala NF near Joyce Kilmer fairly often.

Al