New ford bronco capabilities. Is jeep in big trouble?

• HTML tutorial

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

If we're talking about primary uses rather than capabilities or images, then we should accept that the majority of all 4X4s - including Rubicons, Defenders, and TRD OffRoads - stay on paved and gravel roads. Most people buy the image, or just-in-case capabilities, and then put lower profile tires and angry faces onto their Wranglers.
This is correct.

How many fire extinguishers do you own? How many fires did you put out this week?

How many wrench sets do you own? How many engines did you replace this week?

I could go on forever. Individual use case and intrinsic capability are frequently divergent models. Pretending that capability is somehow diminished because it is infrequently utilized is just that, pretend.

BensonSTW

Rank III

Enthusiast III

There is where the real comparison should be made. Jeep Cherokee vs bronco sport. As far as the results are concerned...

I’m not going to pretend to care. I’d never own either in current form. I did once upon a time ago own a 70 bronco sport. First bronco with a 302. It was in such bad shape I got it for a can of Copenhagen. Sold it for $50. Got part of it back when I bought my 71. Probably shouldn’t have given much more then 2 cans of Copenhagen for it.

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
If we're talking about primary uses rather than capabilities or images, then we should accept that the majority of all 4X4s - including Rubicons, Defenders, and TRD OffRoads - stay on paved and gravel roads. Most people buy the image, or just-in-case capabilities, and then put lower profile tires and angry faces onto their Wranglers.
that was my point when responding to Lostwoods. That being said, for those of us who do use the capabilites of suv's, the trailhawk is one of the best small SUV's for actually using them. Much better than the bronco sport that it competes with.

Reactions: DevilDodge

The Roach ...

Rank IV

Member III

Frisco, TX, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
V
Member #

wow... troll action on this forum.

first... the usage is a valid argument.

second... tires selection should be vased upon usage... not image.

third... I own FOUR overlanding vehicles. 1 gets used. 1 is being built.. 1 is for a major trip that takes huge planning so it sits... and the last one is my driver... that would be more glamping version of overlanding than either the first or the second rig. are any of them poser vehicles? no... 2 don't have dents. 1 is rhinolined.. and the third you couldn't dent unless you rolled it down the grand canyon.

the whole point of build a rig.... IS USING IT. the rest of the debate is bullshit and personal preference. the huge trip truck... UNIMOG... is too big for most stuff... and is for GLOBAL stuff that I HOPE TO DO IF I CAN EVER RETIRE.... which covid pushed back at least another 3 years. will it get used? yes someday.. by someone... my 'used' rig.. went over the continental divide for 14 days last summer... 900 miles off road. who has done that on this thread? likely few. the being built truck... I used it for 17 years before I decided to rebuild it.... more than 100k miles off road.

the series 2 defender has 942 miles on it today... and only 20 of them are dusty trail. but we are headed to big bend in two weeks to pop it's cherry.

my point in all of this is.... pretty simple. How much do you overland bro? if its 1% of your time... you only need x of a truck. if you do it 100% of the time.. I have a unimog for sale. most of us are in the middle somewhere.

happy trails.

Smokinjoe

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Ridgecrest
Member #

After all the BS... To answer the original question .. " Is Jeep in Big Trouble " Bronco vs Jeep Price point they are the same ... Availability... Bronco fans still holding on to wet dream, Jeep coming out with new power options available now ...
I like the Bronco but real Bronco's wont be available till 2022..... Jeep has nothing to worry about

Reactions: The Roach ...

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
I saw the Lil Bronco already. Seems nicer than a Range Rover or CRV.

The Roach ...

Rank IV

Member III

Frisco, TX, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
V
Member #

After all the BS... To answer the original question .. " Is Jeep in Big Trouble " Bronco vs Jeep Price point they are the same ... Availability... Bronco fans still holding on to wet dream, Jeep coming out with new power options available now ...
I like the Bronco but real Bronco's wont be available till 2022..... Jeep has nothing to worry about

I agree in part... but Bronco does show Jeep's weakness. It's huge jump in price from the base models to the rubicon models. This shows a revenue weakness that FCA has been trying to coverr up
I saw the Lil Bronco already. Seems nicer than a Range Rover or CRV.

i bought the defender 110... after looking at both the big bronco (at a show) and driving the little bronco... the d110 series 2 is truly amazing...

but people have their preferences.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Been there done that. If you have clutch or viscous AWD or 4wd, it better have some temp warning devices.

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

I agree in part... but Bronco does show Jeep's weakness. It's huge jump in price from the base models to the rubicon models. This shows a revenue weakness that FCA has been trying to coverr up
Totally agree on this one... it's like Ford took a whole lot of Jeep people and asked what they wanted, dropped the front axle, and then built it. There's a lot of cool little things all over that would be great to have and, as was mentioned, the fact you can get the full blown Squatch package on an otherwise bare bones model instead of ponying up for a top trim just to get any sort of locker is why I think Ford has the right strategy (even if I'm not so much a fan of the truck model) in the midsize pickup segment too.

Though I've said it before... Ford isn't going to take the SFA or nothing Jeep crowd but that's a small portion of new buyers anyway... most who are going that hard on a Jeep are the secondary market.

Reactions: SquishBang and Anak