New ford bronco capabilities. Is jeep in big trouble?

• HTML tutorial

Alan_Hepburn

Rank II

Enthusiast III

San Jose, Ca USA
First Name
Alan
Last Name
Hepburn
You are correct not only did the Toy Haulers go up, so did regular RV’s... the down side is the RV manufacturing business isn’t considered essential so a lot of plants were closed most of 2020... I’m still laid off as a material handler for one of the high end plants. They are currently running at 20% capacity which is causing the price to sky rocket as well. A trailer that was taking 8 hours to build is now taking 40 hours...
It's too bad that some of those extra hours for the build didn't go into doing some QA before sending the units out to the dealers...

BensonSTW

Rank III

Enthusiast III

It’s damn near impossible to turn out quality product when workforce is cut by 80%. We’ve only been missing the guys that were out sick and you can tell by availability numbers that our fleet isn’t getting the same quality repairs. Buying anything during a pandemic is like buying a first model year product. Keep your fingers crossed. It would be a year or 2 before I’d even consider buying a bronco.

SquishBang

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
JuicyJ
Last Name
Wiggler
I kinda like the Gladiator, now I see the used market is flooded with low milage year old Gladiators, must be a reason.
I see the Gladiator as a huge compromise, even more so than a 4-door Wrangler. Lots of cab, not much truck bed, super-long wheelbase (for a Wrangler) and your choice of a relatively poorly matched minivan V6 or a super expensive diesel option. I'm wondering if people just realized it's such a huge compromise in too many ways?

I feel like Jeep should have made extended cab Gladiator with more bed. I'd be very interested in that.

surfnturf

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor II

Kings Mountain, CA, USA
Member #

I'm a fan of both Jeep's and Bronco's. I currently own a 84 CJ7 and a 68 Bronco. Both are very capable off road but are a bit antiquated on the road. I can see myself in a brand new JL Rubicon or a Bronco Sasquatch in a couple years. I've been doing my homework on studying all the specs. Jeep is hard to beat with the tried and true dana 44's front and rear along with the NP241 4:1 transfercase. Bronco however has it beat with factory equipped 35's and a better crawl ratio. Pricing on the two seems competitive to each other but by the time you add a lift to the Jeep with 35's... the Bronco may be a better deal. We'll have to wait and see!

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
It's too bad that some of those extra hours for the build didn't go into doing some QA before sending the units out to the dealers...
The company I worked for only built custom units for the dealers... lead time is six months to the dealer.

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
I'm a fan of both Jeep's and Bronco's. I currently own a 84 CJ7 and a 68 Bronco. Both are very capable off road but are a bit antiquated on the road. I can see myself in a brand new JL Rubicon or a Bronco Sasquatch in a couple years. I've been doing my homework on studying all the specs. Jeep is hard to beat with the tried and true dana 44's front and rear along with the NP241 4:1 transfercase. Bronco however has it beat with factory equipped 35's and a better crawl ratio. Pricing on the two seems competitive to each other but by the time you add a lift to the Jeep with 35's... the Bronco may be a better deal. We'll have to wait and see!
The rubi with a 2" lift and 35's is about a quarter of the cost of a sasquatch package with dings in at 7k Candian. Yeah. jeep has NOTHING to worry about. 1000 for a 2" lift from a reputable company and 2000 for 37's and you are in less than half of a tire and wheel package from Ford. Ford prices their rigs way to high now. I am a ford fan, and was super excited for the bronco in both levels. I am not swapping out our patriot or wrangler for either of those rigs.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
The upcoming Hemi Gladiator could be really tough. If the hemi has been fixed, and no longer lunches on cam shafts like a lionfish in a goldfish tank. There's no excuse for unreliability in a 1960's engine design.

My neighbor has a red Gladiator Rubicon on 37's. It looks awesome. But the minivan engine isn't acceptable on the hwy. As for length, it's the same size as a Tacoma. But good luck fitting 37's on one of those.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I reckon as long as there are lesbians and short guys with colored hair, jeeps will be OK.
They survived the originals like ihi scout, original Bronco, k5 blazer, hilux, hummer so I'm sure they will survive this Bronco too.

Reactions: SquishBang

Padams7

Rank V
Investor

Advocate II

First Name
Phillip
Last Name
Adams
Member #

The rubi with a 2" lift and 35's is about a quarter of the cost of a sasquatch package with dings in at 7k Candian. Yeah. jeep has NOTHING to worry about. 1000 for a 2" lift from a reputable company and 2000 for 37's and you are in less than half of a tire and wheel package from Ford. Ford prices their rigs way to high now. I am a ford fan, and was super excited for the bronco in both levels. I am not swapping out our patriot or wrangler for either of those rigs.
Presently driving a 2012 JKU Sport, 3.5” Lift, 35” KO2’s. 210,XXX miles.

I am in the market for a new vehicle, and I am opting for the Bronco Badlands - I priced a similarly equipped Rubicon, and a Gladiator Sport with Max Tow, and both Jeep products are coming in significantly higher.

I’m not opting for the Sasquatch Package, I am sticking with the Standard 33” tires, same as a stock Rubicon. I upgraded the Jeep interior to leather, since the Bronco has MGV, and upgraded the tech on both brands since this is a daily driver as well.

On the Jeep product, I looked at the diesel option, with 210,000 miles on my Pentastar, and the issues, fuel economy, etc. I wanted something different.

At the end of the day, my version of the Bronco came in at $4000 less expensive than a similarly equipped Rubicon.

That’s a lot of fuel!

I love my Jeep, but I also think that the Bronco is a great fit!

SquishBang

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
JuicyJ
Last Name
Wiggler
I just did a MSRP comparo of a Rubicon 2dr turbo 4cyl and a Bronco 2dr turbo 4cyl Sasquatch and the Bronco was over $4K cheaper.

As for putting 37's on either vehicle, you really should consider the top-dog engine for both vehicles.
The 2.7T in the Bronco is the best choice for 37's and is available on nearly every Bronco config, including 2dr.
The diesel would be the best engine for 37's on the Wrangler, but it is not available on the 2dr.

Neither top-engine are available with a manual transmission.

I didn't price out top-engine versions of either, so I am not sure who would win on pricing there, though I know the diesel is a famously expensive option on the Wrangler and the 2.7T is quite affordable upgrade. Also, the Bronco 2.7T would deal with 37's on the road better than the Wrangler diesel would.

This comparo may be moot though, when Bronco's hit the dealerships we might see ridiculous price gouging for the first year. May still be a great time to pick up a Rubicon as there might be more aggressive discounts at that point, until the market figures out the actual value of the new Bronco

SquishBang

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
JuicyJ
Last Name
Wiggler
One other thing I forgot to add is that every Bronco has LED headlights standard.
With the Jeep it is an expensive option. My co-worker has a Rubicon with the halogen headlights and he says they are so bad he can hardly see at night with them (it is persistently rainy and dark here). If you go to a dealer, you'll see most Wranglers have halogen lights, and you'll even see well spec'd Rubicons with halogens, and lower spec'd Wranglers with LED. The option list for Wranglers is a mess.
My wife's 2020 Toyota came with standard LED headlights. I don't see how Jeep charges well over $50K for a rig with halogens!

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
I reckon as long as there are lesbians and short guys with colored hair, jeeps will be OK.
They survived the originals like ihi scout, original Bronco, k5 blazer, hilux, hummer so I'm sure they will survive this Bronco too.
You have gotten Jeep confused with Subaru.

It's very understandable. Jeep seems to have made the same mistake themselves.

• Haha

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Presently driving a 2012 JKU Sport, 3.5” Lift, 35” KO2’s. 210,XXX miles.

I am in the market for a new vehicle, and I am opting for the Bronco Badlands - I priced a similarly equipped Rubicon, and a Gladiator Sport with Max Tow, and both Jeep products are coming in significantly higher.

I’m not opting for the Sasquatch Package, I am sticking with the Standard 33” tires, same as a stock Rubicon. I upgraded the Jeep interior to leather, since the Bronco has MGV, and upgraded the tech on both brands since this is a daily driver as well.

On the Jeep product, I looked at the diesel option, with 210,000 miles on my Pentastar, and the issues, fuel economy, etc. I wanted something different.

At the end of the day, my version of the Bronco came in at $4000 less expensive than a similarly equipped Rubicon.

That’s a lot of fuel!

I love my Jeep, but I also think that the Bronco is a great fit!
that's fine but you are pricing a "sport" trim level bronco againsts a rubicon level Wrangler. Compare apples to apple and you would be better off with the jeep. The sqatch package is the rubicon package...lockers, disco's etc.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Base model Bronco with Sasquatch package is around 4 grand cheaper than a Rubicon. It's more expensive than a base Wrangler but you can't get lockers in a base Wrangler because Jeep. Supposedly the toughest 4 letter word on wheels and you have to step up to a top tier trim package to get off road options.

that's fine but you are pricing a "sport" trim level bronco againsts a rubicon level Wrangler. Compare apples to apple and you would be better off with the jeep. The sqatch package is the rubicon package...lockers, disco's etc.
Kind of hard to compare the base Bronco with sasquatch vs the base Wrangler since there is no base Wrangler with lockers.

Padams7

Rank V
Investor

Advocate II

First Name
Phillip
Last Name
Adams
Member #

2021 Bronco Badlands, 33” wheels, front and rear locker, sway disconnect. 2.3L 7 Speed. High package, 360 degree camera. Roof rails, tow package. I’m below $54,000

2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. 2.4L Turbo, Auto Transmission, lockers, swat disconnect, front camera, rock rails, 8.4” infotainment - $57,620.

I’m not looking at the Bronco Sport, I’m looking at the 4 Door Bronco with the removable top, Badlands is equal to the Rubicon. Sasquatch adds lockers to all trim levels - I’m giving them a side by side, “apples to apples” comparison on what I want on a vehicle. The Bronco does have better tech, which makes my daily driving experience better. But it is difficult to compare “apples to apples” because Ford does have the 360 camera vs front facing camera, the Bronco comes with Rock Rails, the Rubicon is an add on. The Manual Bronco Badlands is equipped with 4.7 gears, you have to upgrade the Rubicon to 4.10 (comes with 3.73).

It’s a great option, and out of the gate looks like a solid performer, and based on my needs it’s about $4000 less expensive. That’s all I was trying to get across. Each of us are going to want different things in vehicles, I presently drive a very capable Wrangler, but I have had Pentastar Gremlins since 100,000 miles, the top leaks, and I see the JL has the same leaking issues, so did the TJ, YJ.

I am hoping that having another open air off road vehicle in the mix fosters healthy competition in the manufacturers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Downs

SquishBang

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
JuicyJ
Last Name
Wiggler
Base model Bronco with Sasquatch package is around 4 grand cheaper than a Rubicon. It's more expensive than a base Wrangler but you can't get lockers in a base Wrangler because Jeep. Supposedly the toughest 4 letter word on wheels and you have to step up to a top tier trim package to get off road options.
Kind of hard to compare the base Bronco with sasquatch vs the base Wrangler since there is no base Wrangler with lockers.
If you consider the fact that the Bronco comes standard with LED lighting, and it is a significant upcharge on Wranglers, the Bronco is about $5K cheaper than a Wrangler when you try to compare "apples to apples" as difficult as that is...

Jeep would do very well to begin allowing the option of locker and disconnects at the base end of the Wrangler range. Do like Ford, allow someone the ability to buy maximum capability on a budget. Not everyone wants embroidered leather seats and fancy painted interior trim.

BensonSTW

Rank III

Enthusiast III

The biggest question I have is what are you going to use this vehicle for when you’re choosing between the 2? I just glanced at both websites and kind of picking the options I want and leaving out what I don’t like or would change on my own anyway. It’s by no means an apples to apples comparison. To me the bronco is more daily driver that was upgraded for weekend warrior use. The jeep is more unrefined but ready for harsher use. Either one, in stock form, is going to be great for 90% of all people.
Those of us in this discussion will be modifying either one. Me personally I want big tires, minimal lift but great articulation, descent on road manners, horsepower to spare, solid axles, and toughness to handle what I want to throw at it. Also me personally, I hate independent front suspension. Yeah it rides good. Watch anyone who wheels ifs, they’ll have a lot of time with one wheel off the ground. You’re not going to get traction in the air. This is why straight axle swaps are a thing.
I know I said it earlier, but Ford missed the mark when it comes to guys like me. I’ve owned a 70, 71, 79 and 88 bronco, who thought they were going to build something truly bad ass and ready to take on the American west. Instead they gave us a dressed up Ford exploder with good highway manners and descent fuel economy. And no v8 option. I’m not picking jeep over the bronco. But I still continue to miss a real bronco.
Take what for calls a bronco now... Do a 5.0 transplant. SAS it on a Dana 60, and do a 14 bolt rear with linked suspension. Release that to the public, then ask if jeep needs to watch it ass.

SquishBang

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
JuicyJ
Last Name
Wiggler
The biggest question I have is what are you going to use this vehicle for when you’re choosing between the 2? I just glanced at both websites and kind of picking the options I want and leaving out what I don’t like or would change on my own anyway. It’s by no means an apples to apples comparison. To me the bronco is more daily driver that was upgraded for weekend warrior use. The jeep is more unrefined but ready for harsher use. Either one, in stock form, is going to be great for 90% of all people.
Those of us in this discussion will be modifying either one. Me personally I want big tires, minimal lift but great articulation, descent on road manners, horsepower to spare, solid axles, and toughness to handle what I want to throw at it. Also me personally, I hate independent front suspension. Yeah it rides good. Watch anyone who wheels ifs, they’ll have a lot of time with one wheel off the ground. You’re not going to get traction in the air. This is why straight axle swaps are a thing.
I know I said it earlier, but Ford missed the mark when it comes to guys like me. I’ve owned a 70, 71, 79 and 88 bronco, who thought they were going to build something truly bad ass and ready to take on the American west. Instead they gave us a dressed up Ford exploder with good highway manners and descent fuel economy. And no v8 option. I’m not picking jeep over the bronco. But I still continue to miss a real bronco.
Take what they offer now. Do a 5.0 transplant. SAS it on a Dana 60, and do a 14 bolt rear with linked suspension. Then ask if jeep needs to watch it ass.
The thing is, most people that buy a $50K+ off-roader with a solid front axle, don't use them any where near their full potential. Heck, people pay nearly as much for a 4Runner and loathe to get them dirty.

This hard-core offroading usually occurs later in a vehicle's life when it's value has tanked. So many nice solid axle Jeeps of every type out there, killing it off-road. Hardly ever see a current-gen Rubicon on the trails I go on (I do see them on YT vids, but I also see people on YT intentionally destroying brand new expensive vehicles for views).

Most buyers want the "coolest" and "latest" expensive toy, they'll over-extend themselves so much they'll need it in a 4-door because they'll have no extra funds for a reasonable daily driver, and they won't dare scratch it with it's $700/mo for 84 months car payments.

Ford's gonna make 99.7% of it's buyers totally happy.
But yeah, we'll see if the aftermarket offers SAS in a few years when these things begin transactioning for under $20K used. I could be wrong though, people may SAS them right off the dealer lot. When I was getting 5100's installed on my truck, there were 2 new Tacomas in the shop getting solid front axle swaps. I talked to the owner of one of the Tacomas, it had 73 miles on it. And it was getting chopped up!

BensonSTW

Rank III

Enthusiast III

I truly understand what you are saying on every sentence you wrote and agree 100%. (P.s. The guy that destroyed the new trx ram is a blooming idiot.) I’m in the position where if I buy a new vehicle it will most likely be purpose built. Not a daily driver wearing out parts chasing groceries. And I agreed that 90% of customers would be happy with either. The bronco is cool. I’m just saying it isn’t bad ass. And I get that I’m just a guy doing some armchair wheeling at the moment. A guy who’s opinion does not matter. But I wanted Ford to come out with middle fingers in the air. Release a bronco with a Calvin pissing on jeep decal across the entire back window. And do a monster 10 mpg burnout on 40s with solid axles and linked suspension. The only way jeep could have responded would be to take the lower 40 concept with pro- rock 60s and combined it with the trail cat concept. Then we can really debate the most capable. I’m ready for the battle of the trail to start. Create real competition. Hey mustang meet the camaro and cuda type competition. Something so awesome that the other has to take notice and up their game or be left winching themselves out of a hole.