New England Area Trail Rides / Car Camping

• HTML tutorial

Voyyagr

Rank I

Contributor III

I’m new to the East coast, currently bouncing from Massachusetts to NH while I’m in the Navy. I have come to realize that expansive trails and open fire roads are harder to come by in New England than anywhere I’m used to in the west.

Realistically, how far would I have to drive to get to an area with longer trails, places to camp, and getting a decent distance away from “civilization”? I don’t even know where to look. Any suggestions? If New England itself doesn’t offer such things, how far would I have to go to find these things?

Reactions: Dusther210

4RunneRUS

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Boston, MA, USA
First Name
Andrey
Last Name
Ivanov
Member #

Looks like not many people from New England here.... I was trying to find trails or open roads in Mass, nothing... But there is few trails in NH. Check this site Home - ExploringNH. I didn't go there yet, but let me know if you find something interestin in Mass or NH)

Reactions: Dusther210

4RunneRUS

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Boston, MA, USA
First Name
Andrey
Last Name
Ivanov
Member #

Thank you! Also I heard about trail in Kingston, MA. But guy told me that there are too many trees right next to the road and you can scratch you vehicle. I just bought my 2018 4Runner SR5 few months ago, I don’t wanna scratch it))
This trails at Mooshead lake are open or you need a permit? I’m new, everything is stock on a car, only put KO2 tires on it. I was at Race Point Beach, not much off road, but it was fun to drive on sand beaches!

Baystate4Runner

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Lee, New Hampshire, United States
First Name
Peter
Last Name
USA
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Thank you! Also I heard about trail in Kingston, MA. But guy told me that there are too many trees right next to the road and you can scratch you vehicle. I just bought my 2018 4Runner SR5 few months ago, I don’t wanna scratch it))
This trails at Mooshead lake are open or you need a permit? I’m new, everything is stock on a car, only put KO2 tires on it. I was at Race Point Beach, not much off road, but it was fun to drive on sand beaches!
Nice - I will go down to Race Point Beach next week to buy my annual permit.
No permits needed in northern Maine. You get hundreds of miles of Northwoods, not populated (last town is Greenville) and get everything from good gravel roads (used by logging companies) to smaller trails and barely maintained roads. You get remoteness not found anywhere else in New England.

Yankeewoodsman

Rank II
Launch Member

Member II

Cheshire, CT
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Polaski
Member #

Connecticut is a barren wasteland when it comes to off-roading. I’ve been searching and found a bunch of trails and roads in the Pine Barrens in NJ, with camping to boot. I may end up headed there this summer.

Reactions: Dusther210 and JWk2

danh489

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Rhode Island, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Harris
Member #

My home base is in Rhode Island and I haven’t heard of really anything nearby unfortunately. Will likely need to go up to NH or ME.

NolanDick

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Boston, MA, USA
First Name
Nolan
Last Name
Dick
Member #

Has this gotten any further recently? I've currently just been going up to Green Mountain National Forest and White Mountain National Forest and exploring Forest Service Roads. From what I've found, there are a decent amount of already established Dispersed Camping sites (nothing like out west, but, usually a couple open spots, and I know, if it's dispersed camping, there should be no sign but we all know how that is), whereas in White Mountain National Forest it is very hard to find anything where you can even pull off a road, let alone a dirt road. I'm looking for what I knew living out west which doesn't seem to exist.

Spencer Adams Jr.

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Worcester, MA
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC1CIX
There are a decent number of class IV roads in Vermont. You have to dig through some maps and do some exploring to find them, but they are there. That is what the guys from Mountain State Overland were doing with Peter Vollers guiding them. Peter Vollers organizes events as Vermont Overland. One of the events that he hosts is the Vermont Overland Rally at the end of September. Registration is limited and sells out within hours when it opens months in advance. However, if you get in, you will get some maps you can use and refer back to for future trips to Vermont.

Massachusetts has Ma Bell and Old Florida Road.

I know nothing about New Hampshire, other than them having class VI roads.

As always, I would urge vigilance in being a steward of the trails when using them, as they are a dwindling resource.

Reactions: NolanDick

MeHere!

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Somerville, MA, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Witkus
Member #

Hey all, I'm looking to plan a camping trip next summer, was hoping to find a good off grid camping spot in NH, VT or ME...any particular class IV roads to check out? In the process now of building a nice drawer system for the rear of my X...

Gilligan

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Norton, Massachusetts, USA
First Name
Daxton
Last Name
Tarantino
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Gilligan
Freetown state forest has a good few trails I've heard. Never done it personally. There isn't too much around us sadly.
I've been to Freetown a few times but just on my dirt bike. I was just thinking recently I may head there to play around in my jeep. For the most part you drive the central road throught the park but it has some good ups and downs. Much more to offer with a bike.

Maine is great! Baxter state park has endless logging roads. I am pretty new to over landing so never driving and camped there. But have hung around up that way quite a bit.

phlfly

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesburg, VA, USA
First Name
Vadim
Last Name
Zubkov
Member #

anything between NY and VT border? My plan to drive from VA to NY around High Peak wildness. Find a good trail around stay few days there and there, than move VT and do few more trails, go thru White mount toward a ocean, find few place near ocean to camp, and go back. I was looking get to Cape Cod and stay may be few days there.
Any suggestion will be nice. All summer trip.

Geisterbild

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Bellingham, MA, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Cunniff
Member #

Check out The Appalachian Byway (The Appalachian Byway). You can download the GPX files of these trails (GA to ME) for short money. Most of these roads are paved up north, but once you're in Vermont the website lists that most of these roads are class IV and require an equipped vehicle to handle them. Lots of logging roads in NH and ME also. I’m planing on running this from the CT/NY boarder into ME this summer (or at least that’s the plan...). You should also check out the Trans New Hampshire Expedition (Home - ExploringNH), you can download the GPX files for a self guided tour or sign up for one of their guided tours. If for some reason I can’t schedule the New England section of the Appalachian Byway this year I might go the NH Expedition route, but in reveres (south to north). Then slip into Canada for some French flies and gravy, eh.

kcTrek19

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

massachusetts
First Name
Kenneth
Last Name
Sorber
Member #

Im new to the forum but i have been following the overland bound youtube page for years. its awesome to see people from the north east coast here. I am also from Massachusetts about 20 minutes from Springfield Massachusetts. I just bought a 2019 subaru crosstrek premium 6 speed about a month ago. right before this whole quarantine happened.

Dirtjumper4130

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Enfield, Connecticut, United States
First Name
Jay
Last Name
B
Member #

Im new to the forum but i have been following the overland bound youtube page for years. its awesome to see people from the north east coast here. I am also from Massachusetts about 20 minutes from Springfield Massachusetts. I just bought a 2019 subaru crosstrek premium 6 speed about a month ago. right before this whole quarantine happened.

I’m about 10 minutes south of Springfield

Reactions: Markpaul1