New England Area Trail Rides / Car Camping

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!
I’m new to the East coast, currently bouncing from Massachusetts to NH while I’m in the Navy. I have come to realize that expansive trails and open fire roads are harder to come by in New England than anywhere I’m used to in the west.

Realistically, how far would I have to drive to get to an area with longer trails, places to camp, and getting a decent distance away from “civilization”? I don’t even know where to look. Any suggestions? If New England itself doesn’t offer such things, how far would I have to go to find these things?

4RunneRUS

Rank II

Contributor I

Boston, MA, USA
Member #

Looks like not many people from New England here.... I was trying to find trails or open roads in Mass, nothing... But there is few trails in NH. Check this site Home - ExploringNH. I didn't go there yet, but let me know if you find something interestin in Mass or NH)

Baystate4Runner

Rank II

Member I

Westwood, MA
Member #

There are some trails and roads in western Mass but you are better off in NH (class VI roads) and northern Maine to get away from civilization.
My favorite area: north of Moosehead Lake in Maine.

Reactions: Road

4RunneRUS

Rank II

Contributor I

Boston, MA, USA
Member #

Thank you! Also I heard about trail in Kingston, MA. But guy told me that there are too many trees right next to the road and you can scratch you vehicle. I just bought my 2018 4Runner SR5 few months ago, I don’t wanna scratch it))
This trails at Mooshead lake are open or you need a permit? I’m new, everything is stock on a car, only put KO2 tires on it. I was at Race Point Beach, not much off road, but it was fun to drive on sand beaches!

Baystate4Runner

Rank II

Member I

Westwood, MA
Member #

Thank you! Also I heard about trail in Kingston, MA. But guy told me that there are too many trees right next to the road and you can scratch you vehicle. I just bought my 2018 4Runner SR5 few months ago, I don’t wanna scratch it))
This trails at Mooshead lake are open or you need a permit? I’m new, everything is stock on a car, only put KO2 tires on it. I was at Race Point Beach, not much off road, but it was fun to drive on sand beaches!
Nice - I will go down to Race Point Beach next week to buy my annual permit.
No permits needed in northern Maine. You get hundreds of miles of Northwoods, not populated (last town is Greenville) and get everything from good gravel roads (used by logging companies) to smaller trails and barely maintained roads. You get remoteness not found anywhere else in New England.

Reactions: Road and 4RunneRUS

Skyymann21

Rank 0

Contributor I

hey check these guys out they do a bunch of trails in VT. I also agree with Maine it's "Wicked" nice up there! Enjoy New England while your up there at least your not stuck in Norfolk! I'll be taking a couple weeks of leave in the summer to head back to VT and do some trails.

Reactions: JWk2 and 4RunneRUS

Yankeewoodsman

Rank II

Member II

Cheshire, CT
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Polaski
Member #

Connecticut is a barren wasteland when it comes to off-roading. I’ve been searching and found a bunch of trails and roads in the Pine Barrens in NJ, with camping to boot. I may end up headed there this summer.

Reactions: JWk2

danh489

Rank I

Member I

Rhode Island, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Harris
Member #

My home base is in Rhode Island and I haven’t heard of really anything nearby unfortunately. Will likely need to go up to NH or ME.

NolanDick

Rank I

Member I

Boston, MA, USA
First Name
Nolan
Last Name
Dick
Member #

Has this gotten any further recently? I've currently just been going up to Green Mountain National Forest and White Mountain National Forest and exploring Forest Service Roads. From what I've found, there are a decent amount of already established Dispersed Camping sites (nothing like out west, but, usually a couple open spots, and I know, if it's dispersed camping, there should be no sign but we all know how that is), whereas in White Mountain National Forest it is very hard to find anything where you can even pull off a road, let alone a dirt road. I'm looking for what I knew living out west which doesn't seem to exist.

Spencer Adams Jr.

Rank I

Member I

Worcester, MA
Ham Callsign
KC1CIX
There are a decent number of class IV roads in Vermont. You have to dig through some maps and do some exploring to find them, but they are there. That is what the guys from Mountain State Overland were doing with Peter Vollers guiding them. Peter Vollers organizes events as Vermont Overland. One of the events that he hosts is the Vermont Overland Rally at the end of September. Registration is limited and sells out within hours when it opens months in advance. However, if you get in, you will get some maps you can use and refer back to for future trips to Vermont.

Massachusetts has Ma Bell and Old Florida Road.

I know nothing about New Hampshire, other than them having class VI roads.

As always, I would urge vigilance in being a steward of the trails when using them, as they are a dwindling resource.

Reactions: NolanDick