Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I just received Wealers nesting pot set, Wow Just Wow! I replaced a 30 year Coleman pot set, that isn't made anymore. It was good for a lot of years but the handles started to fall off. These pots are great, they have a thick bottom for even heat flush lids. They are big enough to feed 4 easily, I added a measuring cup to the set. I like to cook well on the road, making sauces is a something I do a lot and these thick bottoms will help keep from burning. So my pots and pans are a S/S coffee percolator, a T-Fal Frying pan, and these very cool Wealers pots. I used them at home and like them a lot. Kinda like All Clad For the road . I looked at the GSR and found them thin for fine cooking.

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
I just received Wealers nesting pot set, Wow Just Wow! I replaced a 30 year Coleman pot set, that isn't made anymore. It was good for a lot of years but the handles started to fall off. These pots are great, they have a thick bottom for even heat flush lids. They are big enough to feed 4 easily, I added a measuring cup to the set. I like to cook well on the road, making sauces is a something I do a lot and these thick bottoms will help keep from burning. So my pots and pans are a S/S coffee percolator, a T-Fal Frying pan, and these very cool Wealers pots. I used them at home and like them a lot. Kinda like All Clad For the road . I looked at the GSR and found them thin for fine cooking.
We need pictures. I'm like a 3rd grader. Post em up. LOL
Zim

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Or a link to the set you got!

OcoeeG

Rank II

Enthusiast III

SE TN
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Gee
I searched them up on the WWW, look nice. There are numerous sets, nopt sure which you got. But they all look nice.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

This set: Camping Cookware Set 304 Stainless Steel 8-Piece Pots & Pans

I like that a lot. I paid a good bit more for what I use, and while I like it a lot I'm not sure it was "necessary." I added the colander/strainer thingy (which also works for steaming veggies) and if I nest that with it, the set no longer fits in the carry bag well or the cabinet I put them in. :/

I have this:

Plus:

-TJ

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
i like stainless cooking gear and most of the pots and pans youll find are 304 stainless, which is standard and does well, but stainless will corrode and pit, especially if using a lot of acid, like tomatoes. you can find pots and pans made from 316 stainless that has more nickel in it and some moly, which is the coating youll find on hydraulic cylinder rams. very hard and durable stuff.
it costs a bit more to go with the 316 stainless, but it will hold up a lot better for camping.
i've been seeing a lot of "stainless" steel items coming from china and they definitely are NOT stainless.

Reactions: MOAK and MMc

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

i like stainless cooking gear and most of the pots and pans youll find are 304 stainless, which is standard and does well, but stainless will corrode and pit, especially if using a lot of acid, like tomatoes. you can find pots and pans made from 316 stainless that has more nickel in it and some moly, which is the coating youll find on hydraulic cylinder rams. very hard and durable stuff.
it costs a bit more to go with the 316 stainless, but it will hold up a lot better for camping.
i've been seeing a lot of "stainless" steel items coming from china and they definitely are NOT stainless.
Yep I picked up a stainless steel table a few years ago for cooking. It's got rust in spots that I fight.

Reactions: grubworm

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Yup, I’m shopping now, the old aluminum and non matching ceramic pot have been nearly beat to death over the past 25 years. How about the magnet test? Is cheap stainless only a coating?

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
How about the magnet test? Is cheap stainless only a coating?
hard to say with what china is doing to things. a little off topic, but an example is china making "copper" wire that is copper plated aluminium wire and people are unknowingly having that in their homes. china is tweeking a lot of their metals and alloys. when i was working offshore on oil rigs, we got some shackles made in china and they failed before even getting close to their rated load. chinese shackles and slings were not allowed to be used by a lot of companies because of the high failure rate. not busting on china, but we are getting most of our metal products from them and they are not of the quality we had when the US steel mills were producing.

also to note on cookware...magnalite is a very respected name for heavy pots. magnalite was originally made in sydney, oh starting in the 1930s and was an aluminium alloy with magnesium and other elements added to make a very durable pot. china has been producing magnalite for a while now and people are noticing that they are pitting real bad and are turning black, especially when used with acidic items like tomatoes. a lot of people down here use magnalite and even pass the pots down the family line. a lot of the cajuns will not use the new magnalite because they think the new material used is toxic.

a little long winded post, BUT the wife and i do a lot of cooking and we have done a good bit of research on nonstick coating and different types of stainless, etc. i have some viking stainless pots and pans and the 5-layer stainless professional series is made in the US and is an excellent grade of stainless compared to the 3-layer version of viking made in china with lower amounts of nickel and chromium.

and yes, you are very right about the magnet test. long story made short, i was going to buy some stainless items a while back and a friend stuck a magnet to it. so yes, a lot of things being called stainless steel really arent and may be more of a coating, just like them copper coating aluminium wire....if in doubt, see if a magnet sticks

Last edited:
Reactions: MOAK

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder III

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

This set: Camping Cookware Set 304 Stainless Steel 8-Piece Pots & Pans

I like that a lot. I paid a good bit more for what I use, and while I like it a lot I'm not sure it was "necessary." I added the colander/strainer thingy (which also works for steaming veggies) and if I nest that with it, the set no longer fits in the carry bag well or the cabinet I put them in. :/

I have this:

Plus:

-TJ
I have the same, don't go on every trip with me but they are really great cookware.

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder III

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

Any 316 stainless you can point us to?

World Traveler III

Nokomis, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Fazio
We have been using an all stainless 10 piece Magma nesting set for over a decade. We took it on our 7 year trip and never had any issues. It's heavy but worth it if you like to cook. The removable handles are beefy too.

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder III

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

We have been using an all stainless 10 piece Magma nesting set for over a decade. We took it on our 7 year trip and never had any issues. It's heavy but worth it if you like to cook. The removable handles are beefy too.
We have the Ceramica version and love it. Weight keeps it from gluing on every trip but performance is superb.

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder III

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

I have not posted many videos lately for fear of being accused of "self-promotion" instead of my intended goal of passing on some knowledge, but I just tested a new camping skillet made by OXO, which is a well respected designer of kitchen gear. They have come out with a new line of cooking/kitchen gear dubbed OXO Outdoors and it is being sold (I believe) exclusively to REI Members as this point but I am sure will get broader distribution when the agreement ends. I tested their 10" carbon steel pan which is a material we use a lot at home for cooking (along with cast iron and US made stainless steel) and I have to say this is a really nice pan. The design is very nice with broad cooking surface relative to rim size, nice higher sides and it is taking a seasoning very well.

The best feature is that the handle is removable and allows for efficient packing, one thing that has kept me from taking my home carbon steel pans along on trips. Made in China.

if you want to check out the pan and the review here is the video-

Reactions: GunRunnersActual

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I gave up on Carbon steel, all the hassle of cast iron and none of the benefits. I use T-fal for my frying pan in my camp box. with the Wealers kit I am very complete.

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder III

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

I gave up on Carbon steel, all the hassle of cast iron and none of the benefits. I use T-fal for my frying pan in my camp box. with the Wealers kit I am very complete.
I am curious what benefits you found lacking in carbon steel vs cast iron? For sure everyone has their favorites and I won't say carbon or cast are what everyone needs as cooking styles are so individual and that is what makes the world go round!

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder III

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

yeah, i bought several of the carbon steel pans and food sticks to them as bad as it does to my stainless pans. the carbon steel is GREAT for a wok...i have a couple carbon steel woks and they work great when using oil and moving the food around a lot.

even with oil, cooking an egg on carbon steel usually leaves half the egg stuck to the pan. not that big a deal, but when my SPAM started sticking and getting wasted, i had to do something...
I found the same thing when I first got some carbon steel and still find them a bit harder to season initially than cast iron, which is why this pan was so surprising to me. Over time I have grown to use them a lot and they have seasoned very well and become as non-stick as my CI-though I do use generally lower heat settings on both than I do on SS. Not Teflon but very good and will never have to be replaced-then again a very good SS pan should last a lifetime too as our All-Clad are now 30 years old and work as good today as the day we got them.

On the other hand the loss of SPAM would certainly cause me to second guess my cookware for sure!