Off-Road Ranger I

Tracy California, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
K
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6PXJ
I work for a company who owns more than 500 trademarks and registries. When we find a company using a common name that we own the rights to, we have to send them a Cease & Desist letter with proof of our ownership. If the don't my boss is mroe than h appy to take them to court for infringement.
500? What does the company do with these?

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Do not mix the business at all. If one gets sued and you have commingled anything the other side will get sucked in, even if it does not, you'll pay lawyers to keep them apart.

Reactions: Yota-Rover

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Do not mix the business at all. If one gets sued and you have commingled anything the other side will get sucked in, even if it does not, you'll pay lawyers to keep them apart.
A friend of mine who did business law always said the worst decision your could make is to go into business without something that legally separates the individual from the business. I seem to remember getting an LLC is not hard or very expensive and will do this.

Yota-Rover

Rank 0

Traveler I

A friend of mine who did business law always said the worst decision your could make is to go into business without something that legally separates the individual from the business. I seem to remember getting an LLC is not hard or very expensive and will do this.
You bet. Definitely going to do either and LLC or Corp. first thing though, finish the prototype and figure out a name.

Reactions: Dilldog

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

500? What does the company do with these?
Pharmaceuticals and OTC's. We have more than 400 products over 16 brands. Some are centered around ingredients our R&D has developed. He also buys recognizable trademarks that have expired and are no longer in production but are instantly recognizable to consumers.

Yota-Rover

Rank 0

Traveler I

That doesnt help. My construction company was a Sub S corp and the commercial strip malls I own are all different LLCs and when shit hits the fan and you are in court against greedy lawyers, they immediately go after everything you have and if you are 100% owner of a corporation or LLC, it maters not. That only protects the company if you have partners and you are being sued personally, then they can only take what ever percentage of ownership you have in that company, otherwise if you are a 100% owner of anything, there is no protection of the "corporate veil". If I get in a car wreck and get sued for punative damages, they can come after my business. Been there done that. I still do the LLCs, but I heavy up on insurance and even have an umbrella policy.
Ouch.. that sounds like it could be a mess. Definitely going to do my reading on all that. In our current company we have never run into any legal issues but pretty much all our clients, so far.. are all really cool. The new overland company will be geared towards small families as the design for the camper incorporates 4 potential sleeping spaces (maybe more with “little ones”) so I don’t foresee any crazy lawsuits from your average small family..... I hope.. but anything can happen.. and from what you say, looks like its best to be prepared.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Hobo Wheeler Boxes.

Models named after homeless people styles:
Old Canadian. Cab over model, like a Lance, Bundutec, etc. etc. Modeled after any of the ten thousand beat up slide in campers in Alaska right now.
San Diego. No toilet.
Florida man. Purpose built for camping at exit ramps. Extra sound insulation.
Baltimore. Cedar paneling, plexiglass windows, extra rodent proofing.
Utah. Nothing but bunk beds.
Detroit. No potable water.
West Texas. Every cabinet can be locked. Hidden storage under bed mattress.
Carny. Corrugated aluminum siding and one thousand incandescent bulbs lined up on every exterior seam.

Yota-Rover

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hobo Wheeler Boxes.

Models named after homeless people styles:
Old Canadian. Cab over model, like a Lance, Bundutec, etc. etc. Modeled after any of the ten thousand beat up slide in campers in Alaska right now.
San Diego. No toilet.
Florida man. Purpose built for camping at exit ramps. Extra sound insulation.
Baltimore. Cedar paneling, plexiglass windows, extra rodent proofing.
Utah. Nothing but bunk beds.
Detroit. No potable water.
West Texas. Every cabinet can be locked. Hidden storage under bed mattress.
Carny. Corrugated aluminum siding and one thousand incandescent bulbs lined up on every exterior seam.
That’s hilarious!

Yota-Rover

Rank 0

Traveler I

Okay I’m just brainstorming now.

Timberwolf overland outfitters
Greypoint industries
Blackridge outfitters
Flatdeck overland

Let me know what y’all think. And feel free to share your own brainstorming ideas.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Dark storm campers.

Overland McOverland Face.
Goosehouse.
Ultradyne Systems Incorporated.

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

Start with - What do you do NOW and what do you plan on doing in the FUTURE. Makes no sense to call it an voerlanding company if you have a remote possibility of doing say... car stereos or alarms installs or dog treats. Look past today and think about tomorrow.

Another thing to consider is one or two syllable words.
Cus-tom Over-land.
Bobs Speed Shop
Gray-wolf Off-road
Out-bound Trail-ers

Its about creating memory retention and people can mix up and forget more than two syllable words.

Ni-ke
Un-der Ar-mour
Tide
Tom-mys Roof-ing
Air Jor-dan
Cole-man
GE
Boe-ing

You see what I mean. Doesnt matter much how many letters, but reducing the number of syllables allows better retention.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Okay I’m just brainstorming now.

Timberwolf overland outfitters
Greypoint industries
Blackridge outfitters
Flatdeck overland

Let me know what y’all think. And feel free to share your own brainstorming ideas.
Graypoint Industries is good. Like I had posted earlier, if you keep it slightly vague, you are not pigeon-holing yourself to one specific thing that might change over time. Maybe you are doing trailers and design something really cool for portable kitchen set up or something and then there ends up being more of a demand for that and you shift gears...
Even Timberwolf Industries sounds good and you can have a logo with a wolf with its head up howling next to the name or something. Since its your company and is personal to you, do something that reflects you and what you like. You like Greek mythology, go with Thor Industries and a dude with a hammer as part of the logo, etc... Like I said earlier, the trick is going to be finding a name that is not taken for a domain name. I had fun starting my construction company and designing a logo and getting stickers and promotional items made...I had my logo on nice new cargo trailers and it looked professional and in no time I had a name that a lot of the locals recognized. Branding yourself is an important part of a business.

Yota-Rover

Rank 0

Traveler I

Did you settle on a name and are you prototyping?
Thanks for checking in. Yes decided on a company name! (Finally) (Exodus.Overland) currently in the process of getting a DBA and all the applicable legal docs. And yes currently working on a total of 5-6 prototypes all at once.(basically building a complete rig)
We may stick to the more custom “one off” type builds but it remains to be seen. So far all the equipment being designed is geared towards the 2nd gen Tacoma.

Reactions: MMc