New CB antenna, not sure I like it.

• HTML tutorial

What should I do with this Antenna set up?

• Keep it, but bend the bracket to make it more straight up and down.

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Move it more to the center behind the back window (this is how I had it on my old Tacoma)

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Ditch it and go with a Lil Wilson on the roof (this is the set up I use on my XJ and like it.)

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters

cw50must

Rank 0

Traveler I

I have the CB antenna off my old Tacoma, which I have been meaning to install on my new one (three years later) Finally got to it today, and I'm not sure I like it. I've been using a little 2 footish magnet mount and its limited. I just don't know if I like how this fire stick Looks. 20170930_130423.jpg 20170930_130423.jpg 20170930_130640.jpg 20170930_130658.jpg Help me decide what to do next.

Reactions: Luis Merlo

cw50must

Rank 0

Traveler I

got a spring mount? does it whip the cab when driving under branches?
I do have a spring. On the old truck it did hit the cab so I took the spring off, but I did keep it. I don't keep the antenna on, other than when I'm out. I have it off when I'm in town because I do in to go into parking structures from time to time.

CavGeek

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Phoenix, AZ. 85027
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Reiner
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6ZWC
Service Branch
U.S.Army
I have the same antenna, I just haven't made the time to mount it yet, Have you had a chance to test the range on it?
I was also thinking about running the spring and/or QD mount for it, but it's still all in the planning stage, I haven't decided where to mount the CB in the cab yet. I even was considering fabbing up a bracket that connects to the bed rails (3 points to make it flex free) to raise the base of the antenna to approximately roof height for maximum effective radiation. It seems like a lot of work but it would be an interesting piece of equipment.

jordan04gx

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Chittenango, NY
First Name
Jordan
Last Name
Moore
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2NFZ
I find the standard firestik to be too bulky. I switched it out with the thinner firestik firefly series and like the way it looks on the vehicle much more. I have the 3' and 4', and typically run the 3' foot. I've tested it to 7 miles.

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

Add a spring and a tennis ball to protect the cab. Adjust the bracket as desired. My Firestik is probably 10 years old and it still holding up great.

FJ81

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Southern California
Member #

OI001961.jpg
Firestik Ftw! Mine is an adjustable one, on a wilson gumdrop mount, works good. I have the wilson spring mount, but since I stuck it up behind the bumper I left it on. On the pickups, I like when the antenna is in the center, it makes them look like r/c cars lol!

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

That's where I have mine mounted on my Frontier. I run a 2' stick for daily use (fits in most parking ramps and also my garage) and I keep the 4' stick behind the back seat for if and when I need some more range.

cw50must

Rank 0

Traveler I

So I ditched this set up, I didn't really like it. I went to a Lil Wil on the roof.

I kept the mount in case i ever make it to the dunes again I'll use it for my whip or if I decide to try a different antenna, I tend to change my mind from time to time.

danthman114

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Yuma, az
First Name
Dan
Last Name
H
Member #

you need to tune the antenna to the radio. otherwise you can burn out components on the xmitter...

Chris

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Plano
Member #

I have 97 Land Cruiser with the ARB bull bar, Gobi Roof Rack. Lots of points to mount the 4 ft Fire stick. But which location is best?

bendts

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

A Pasture in Wisconsin
First Name
Bendt
Last Name
S
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N0WTR
I have 97 Land Cruiser with the ARB bull bar, Gobi Roof Rack. Lots of points to mount the 4 ft Fire stick. But which location is best?
On passenger side of your Bull Bar (like the post on the white Toyota above). Keeps it low enough for tree's and parking ramps, and the slightly lower (-3') height will not have any effect on your range.

The Ideal is center roof - that will give the best omni-directional pattern. But if you go into the woods kiss it goodby.

Caddis

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kingsburg, CA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Regier
Member #

20171124_125642.jpg I run the 4' firestik. Do you not like the looks, or the performance? I've been happy wth mine. I have the spring mount, and the quick disconnect. 4' is tall, but I also like the looks and performance of it. Plus it works as a whip flag as well.

Reactions: LVCoffeeguy