Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Columbus Ohio
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wohn
Member #

So i made the decision to sell my jeep and picked up a 2022 trail boss. Thought the extra payload and towing abilities would be a great fit for me and my girlfriend. Does anyone have any other full size truck builds that can pick the brains of or get ideas of how i should build it out

Attachments

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
To do what? If you're going camping on long weekends and not going into really terrain then you don't need to do anything with it; if you;'re planning to drive it to Tierra del Fuego then you may need different tyres although still not much else.

Adamw1212

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Columbus Ohio
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wohn
Member #

To do what? If you're going camping on long weekends and not going into really terrain then you don't need to do anything with it; if you;'re planning to drive it to Tierra del Fuego then you may need different tyres although still not much else.
I would mostly be doing some weekend trips places. But i also have goals set out to see Alaska and go down to Baja. Would also like to try and complete the trans American trail

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
First I would take time a decide what you actually need/want, here is a great article to help set your brain, I of course did not follow this with a few 4x4 and dumps tons of cash for nothing...: Interesting Article

Take time, no need to rush. Go camping, where do you camp? Make a list (sitting quietly outside maybe) of the things you "Need" and one "Want", Think like ok, I need to drive 20 miles on a beach/sandy area cause our fav camp spot is there, maybe I need better tires, traction boards, wince and anchor etc..... make your list, then prioritize the things. Worst think to do is get a rig, go hog wild doing all the "mods" you seen and/or want, sure you will have a built rig, lots of money in it. Worth it?

I would look for build threads for your specific truck and other like it, see what has worked, and worked over time for their builds. It took me some time to zero in on the suspension I wanted, I knew what I wanted it for (ie not hard core rock crawling) and I checked who had it and how it performed, which worked great because I found that swapping rear shocks made huge difference.

Go to show and shines, check out the tech on all the other rigs, see what you like and can adapt for you.

Number one thing is enjoy the rig, no matter how built or not it is, get out and camp! Hook up with fellow OB people in your area, see if there are meetings you can go to, meet folks.

We are glad you are here, and do research but ask questions, there are some very smart folks on here!

Jim

Adamw1212

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Columbus Ohio
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wohn
Member #

First I would take time a decide what you actually need/want, here is a great article to help set your brain, I of course did not follow this with a few 4x4 and dumps tons of cash for nothing...: Interesting Article

Take time, no need to rush. Go camping, where do you camp? Make a list (sitting quietly outside maybe) of the things you "Need" and one "Want", Think like ok, I need to drive 20 miles on a beach/sandy area cause our fav camp spot is there, maybe I need better tires, traction boards, wince and anchor etc..... make your list, then prioritize the things. Worst think to do is get a rig, go hog wild doing all the "mods" you seen and/or want, sure you will have a built rig, lots of money in it. Worth it?

I would look for build threads for your specific truck and other like it, see what has worked, and worked over time for their builds. It took me some time to zero in on the suspension I wanted, I knew what I wanted it for (ie not hard core rock crawling) and I checked who had it and how it performed, which worked great because I found that swapping rear shocks made huge difference.

Go to show and shines, check out the tech on all the other rigs, see what you like and can adapt for you.

Number one thing is enjoy the rig, no matter how built or not it is, get out and camp! Hook up with fellow OB people in your area, see if there are meetings you can go to, meet folks.

We are glad you are here, and do research but ask questions, there are some very smart folks on here!

Jim
Thanks Jim! I’ll for sure read that article and ask fellow overland bound members.

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
I would mostly be doing some weekend trips places. But i also have goals set out to see Alaska and go down to Baja. Would also like to try and complete the trans American trail
This is helpful; further, the extent to which you plan "off-road" travel is key. You can get to Alaska in a VW Polo, however if you want to get into the tundra in Spring that's a different story.

Great advice from JimSoG.

I think it's best to start with the vehicle as it is and learn through experience what (if anything) is needed beyond standard.