New 19 4Runner OR owner looking for recommendation

• HTML tutorial

Michael Andrews

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Riverview
Member #

So I just got a new 4Runner and I am starting to build it out, I have already got new tires which are Nitto Terra Grapplers G2. I am looking at getting a new suspension to lift it 2.5" - 3" along with C4 rock sliders. So what are yalls recommendations for a suspension? I am currently looking at the Icon stage 2 as a possible choice.

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

Matoolie

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Virginia
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Allen
Member #

Might consider Dobinson. A lot of great reviews, many spring options for weights and lift, no shock rebuilding. Huge thread with all info on T4R forum. Will be putting system for 3” / 2” lift on my 14 4runner this coming week after Christmas.

Mtntrekker

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Hurricane, UT
First Name
Dale
Last Name
Bauer
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD0THS
General trail riding and also planning a trip to MOAB and doing the Georgia traverse
I originally planned to get the ICON Stage 2 and after doing some reading and watching a couple youtube I went with the ICON 2.5 with CDC (adjustable dampaging or ride). Glad I did. Ride is great. I have BFG KO2 285-70R-17s and have no tire rub.

Shane B

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Martinez, Ca
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Berry
Member #

There are lots of things to consider when buying coilovers and shocks. Personally I went with the Kings with the compression adjusters.
Go on YouTube and look up Filthy motorsports you’ll find a video on the different types of valving and shocks that’s what helped me with my decision.

Utilityman

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Albuquerque NM
First Name
Jesse
Last Name
Raether
Member #

I put 302/325 Dobinsons lift and Dirt King BJ UCAs on my 4runner and have been thrilled with the ride. It’s definitely not oversprung like my OME on my 3ed gen snd the nose dive when braking is gone. It’s super comfortable on and off road.

With Dobinsons Dirt Kings and FN Six Shooter wheels I had only minor rubbing on the fender liner with E rated 285-70-17s. Quick 15 minute fix.

Good choice on C4 sliders. Mine have been awesome. We put them on right after we bought the 4Runner in 2016. The filler plates are perfect steps for kids and getting up to the rack. No regrets on the sliders. Definitely saved my rockers from damage and door dings in parking lots.

I was considering kings but I wanted a setup that wasn’t $3k just for suspension and requires rebuild maintenance. Icon and King are definitely industry leaders with their products they sell, theres no denying that. For me it just wasn’t something I was willing to commit to at this time. Maybe one day though. From what I read people are getting a ton of miles out of their Dobinsons with ride comfort that I was looking for at the price ($860) I wanted to pay. Part of my decision making was due to watching a few front runner outfitters vids on YouTube. They have some good content out that talks about how they go through their decision making processes for parts they put on their rigs.
5727B611-96DB-4E94-85B1-4163F01ADF76.jpeg
A04CEEE5-CDD4-4A3E-BAC1-06B451C81391.jpeg
D7A650E0-EAB1-4B23-9732-5DD9649592B5.jpeg
8F2D895C-DFF4-4746-BD3C-1D25DE263D87.jpeg

Last edited: