never thought I would say this................

• HTML tutorial

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

The wife & I have always been cast iron cook wear fans whether home use or camping. Just a few days ago she mention @ her age of 66yrs, cast iron fry pans are getting too heavy for her. We have the 5" & 10" lodge cast iron fry pans. We've been doing a lot of research on replacements pans for camping. We've settle with & ordered the GSI Outdoors Pinnacle 8" Fry Pan (going with one only). Also she ordered the MSR 2.5 L Ceramic Pot. She is doing away with the Farberware cook pots too. She like the idea that the handle is detachable & can be stored inside the pot. I believe she is scaling down our cook kitchen tub to be more manageable.
The home use she went with stainless. She will use the cast iron fry pan for her cornbread.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jonny G and Kent R

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
The wife & I have always been cast iron cook wear fans whether home use or camping. Just a few days ago she mention @ her age of 66yrs, cast iron fry pans are getting too heavy for her. We have the 5" & 10" lodge cast iron fry pans. We've been doing a lot of research on replacements pans fort camping. We've settle with & ordered the GSI Outdoors Pinnacle 8" Fry Pan. Also she ordered the MSR 2.5 L Ceramic Pot. She is doing away with the Farberware cook pots too. She like the idea that the handle is detachable. I believe she is scaling down our cook kitchen tub.
The home use she went with stainless.
I too am about to change over so thanks for the research!

Reactions: ArkansasDon

Jonny G

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Gorham, ME, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Gertig
Member #

We have a GSI Pinnacle Camper cookset and it's been great. We actually used just this for cooking and serving, along with our 2 burner camp stove for our entire 14 day honeymoon camping trip. It packs up real nice and organized... easy to clean. The tops have a strainer in them, so great for pastas. I think you end up having to make some exceptions with what you can cook and how to cook with these, as they get hot fast depending on the stove and you can easily burn food if you're not careful. But things like jambalaya, soups and stews, baked beans, mac and cheese, hash... all work well in the pots. Water boils quick.

We did get a 12" cast iron pan not long ago. Also have a square flat pan with a handle for pancakes/fried eggs, and an old 12" home use aluminum fry pan (for scrambled eggs as we've found it is easy to overcook scrambled eggs in the GSI pan). A lot for our car camping, but we enjoy cooking different things.

Reactions: ArkansasDon

Jonny G

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Gorham, ME, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Gertig
Member #

Thanks Arkansas Don! We actually have the same stove. Great little stove by the way!

T. Stanley

Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep Kansas
Launch Member

Member III

Clay Center, Kansas
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

i had the same issue with the weight of the cast iron skillets and bought a carbon steel skillet that gets seasoned the same way as cast iron, but they are lighter. i Have been using them for about a year and they are ok, but nothing works like cast iron.