Need Trail recommendations in the San Luis Obispo Area?

• HTML tutorial

Overland Rich

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Placerville, CA
Member #

Hello ALL,

We are heading to Pismo next month and going to spend a day in the dunes. I'm wondering if any of you know of an easy to moderate inland trail to take the kids on that is in a beautiful area or has a good view. We will be a 3-4 rig convey. 3 tundras and a 100 series land cruiser. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

v_man

Rank IV

Advocate I

Redwood City
Hi Mountain road that goes from Lopez Lake to Pozo, although it gets closed in poor weather. There is a tougher side trail off Hi Mtn. called Garcia Ridge trail.

There is also Rock front OHV area off hwy. 166 and national forest off hwy 58. Just look for the green parts in google maps and the "forest route" roads .

Reactions: Overland Rich

Overland Rich

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Placerville, CA
Member #

Hi Mountain road that goes from Lopez Lake to Pozo, although it gets closed in poor weather. There is a tougher side trail off Hi Mtn. called Garcia Ridge trail.

There is also Rock front OHV area off hwy. 166 and national forest off hwy 58. Just look for the green parts in google maps and the "forest route" roads .

Thanks this looks like a great place to check out. Have you driven the stretch of road from the condor lookout to big falls? How is that part?

v_man

Rank IV

Advocate I

Redwood City
Are you talking about the Condor lookout off Hi Mtn. road? Yes that road was quite easy, I believe it passes by a campground.

Overland Rich

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Placerville, CA
Member #

Are you talking about the Condor lookout off Hi Mtn. road? Yes that road was quite easy, I believe it passes by a campground.
Yes I am talking about the condor lookout and I have read that the road up to there is great. From what I can tell the road, Hi Mountain Road continues passed the lookout and ends out at a waterfall called big falls. It seems like there are a lot of water crossings on the way out there and I'm wondering what that trail is like and how long it takes to get from the lookout to big falls. Have you done that part of the trail?

v_man

Rank IV

Advocate I

Redwood City
Yes I've been to Big falls. The turn off for the bf trail head is separate from the road to the condor lookout. You wouldn't pass the lookout to get to bf. Yes there are water crossings, a few. Not sure how they are after a big rain. I made it out to bf several times in a 2wd truck. Lots of poison oak in general.

Overland Rich

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Placerville, CA
Member #

Yes I've been to Big falls. The turn off for the bf trail head is separate from the road to the condor lookout. You wouldn't pass the lookout to get to bf. Yes there are water crossings, a few. Not sure how they are after a big rain. I made it out to bf several times in a 2wd truck. Lots of poison oak in general.
I found some youtube vides, I stopped counting at about 7 crossings, looks like fun. About how long does it take to get from pismo all the way up to the falls? Is there a good place to find accurate directions to get there?

Thanks for the info!