Need to get out lol. Anyone have a couple dispersed camping spots NorCal you can share?

• HTML tutorial

sissupr

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
B
Did a camp out at Lake Mead / Boulder 3 weeks ago and need to get out again with the family. Live in NorCal (Bay Area) and haven't really adventured out. Was just going to do Half Moon Bay, etc... but everything is either closed or full if they are open due to... yup, COVID.

Any suggestions would be great. Not too adventurous if that makes sense, have the wife and the three young ones that need a little time outside! Not too mention I want to try out my new dual battery setup, solar, new iceco JP50, rock lights, hahahaha...

0D9222A3-B7E0-45FC-B704-E114F5096B78.jpeg

*coming back from Lake Mead earlier this month

Reactions: Alfonso Rojas

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
Here are a few easily accessible areas to research:
  • The Black Springs Route area north of highway 4 near Bear Valley.
  • The Blue Lakes and Indian Valley area south of highway 88 near Kirkwood.
  • Mendocino National Forest
  • National Forest north of Bass Lake (south of Yosemite).
  • Bowman Lake north west of Lake Tahoe.

Reactions: sissupr

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
Mendocino NF is only a couple of hours north. Check out the area around just south of the Snow Mountain Wilderness, or around Lake Pillsbury.

Supernaut

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Marc
Last Name
Heinze
Member #

I'm in the Bay Area also. My new playground is North of Reno in the Black Rock Desert / High Rock Canyon area. Not as hot as DV, fewer rules, and 2-3 hours closer to home. It's all the wheeling you could want. @Overland California is correct. Sonora Pass area is loaded with great dispersed camping. Alabama Hills is also a great spot on the Eastern Sierras.

Alfonso Rojas

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Modesto, CA
First Name
Alfonso
Last Name
Rojas
Member #

Did a camp out at Lake Mead / Boulder 3 weeks ago and need to get out again with the family. Live in NorCal (Bay Area) and haven't really adventured out. Was just going to do Half Moon Bay, etc... but everything is either closed or full if they are open due to... yup, COVID.

Any suggestions would be great. Not too adventurous if that makes sense, have the wife and the three young ones that need a little time outside! Not too mention I want to try out my new dual battery setup, solar, new iceco JP50, rock lights, hahahaha...

View attachment 163243

*coming back from Lake Mead earlier this month
Great looking rig!

So I was planning on heading out to Castle Crags, near Mount Shasta. I just received the email this morning stating the campgrounds were closing this Thursday...2 days before I was getting there. My wife and I are back at the drawing board as well. I'm thinking about going up Highway 108 due to fact I know that area...I dont really want to head in territory I'm unfamiliar with especially since I dont know whats open and closed. Everything is changing daily...Good luck on finding a destination.

Sean C

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Campbell, CA, USA
First Name
sean
Last Name
chandler
Member #

Check out prewitt ridge just south of Big Sur. The area is a pretty East dirt road up the ridge also more secluded spots south of prewitt on coastal ridge road
Does the outback have the ground clearance for this?
Yes! I saw a beater Camry do it not to long ago. Just be ready for a lot of fine dust and great views!

Alfonso Rojas

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Modesto, CA
First Name
Alfonso
Last Name
Rojas
Member #

I may give this a go this weekend. Is there a lot of places to explore back there? I’d like to get some easy trail driving in if possible.

Reactions: Sean C