ElDuderino

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Cleveland, OH, USA
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Keserich
I am planning to go on a 3 week overlanding trip to explore the great state of Utah. I'm looking for help planning out my trip. This is my first long trip doing something like this, and also my first time visiting Utah. I'll be going solo driving from Cleveland, Ohio. I have a 23 Ford Bronco on 35 inch tires, and I'd say I have moderate experience with off-roading. Currently winch-less, but I am considering adding a winch before I go on this trip.

The only thing I have planned so far is I got permits to do the White Rim Trail from May 26th to May 29th. Outside of that, my plans are completely wide open. I'd like to keep the trip in May/beginning of June before it starts getting too hot out. Seems there's an overwhelming amount of things to do in Utah, and I'd like to cover as much ground as possible. I do have a roof top tent, so I'm planning on camping/dispersed camping a majority of the trip. I'd also like to hit some of the popular hiking trails (wall street, the narrows, delicate arch trail).

Any help/resources for planning out my adventure are appreciated.

Builder III

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Augustine
Last Name
Wheelister
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRVW409
Service Branch
Army
Not sure the path you may end up at but some sweet things you may want to try and see:
Bonneville Salt Flats
Pony Express Trail
Pondo (heaviest known organism)
Goblin Valley
Little Sahara
Any stretch of Skyline Drive North of I70

Reactions: ElDuderino

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
The white rim trail is amazing. You're going to love it. Do you recall what campsites you got?

oneleglance

Rank V

Contributor II

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
LANCE
Last Name
BLAIR
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7NKP
Don't bother with a winch, not enough rocks/trees you can winch off of unless you have some solid desert experience.
Spend the money on 4 Maxtrax, an air compressor and tire repair kit....I like the Extreme Outback bag The Ultimate Puncture Repair Kit (Choose Bag Color) | Extreme Outback

Butler and Comb wash are amazing, Cottonwood canyon will take you from Escalante to page.
Lots of great dirt roads in the La Sal mountains.
Grosvner Arch and Kodachrome Canyon
Bryce Canyon
Just so so much in Utah.
North rim of the Grand Canyon might be to cold depending on time of year but way way better than the South Rim with way fewer to no people

ElDuderino

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Cleveland, OH, USA
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Keserich
The white rim trail is amazing. You're going to love it. Do you recall what campsites you got?
I got my permits pretty late, so I'm going counter-clockwise. There was limited availability. First night Potato Bottom, 2nd night Airport, 3rd Night Shafer. There wasn't much to choose from. I may end up skipping Shafer and just head into town to get some dinner.

Also, there's currently rock fall blocking anyone from passing North of Labyrinth. Just happened in the last week. Hopefully it's cleared out by the time I go.

Last edited:
Reactions: Neal A. Tew

ElDuderino

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Cleveland, OH, USA
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Keserich
Not sure the path you may end up at but some sweet things you may want to try and see:
Bonneville Salt Flats
Pony Express Trail
Pondo (heaviest known organism)
Goblin Valley
Little Sahara
Any stretch of Skyline Drive North of I70
Thanks, I'll check these out and see if I can fit them into the schedule!

ElDuderino

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Cleveland, OH, USA
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Keserich
Don't bother with a winch, not enough rocks/trees you can winch off of unless you have some solid desert experience.
Spend the money on 4 Maxtrax, an air compressor and tire repair kit....I like the Extreme Outback bag The Ultimate Puncture Repair Kit (Choose Bag Color) | Extreme Outback

Butler and Comb wash are amazing, Cottonwood canyon will take you from Escalante to page.
Lots of great dirt roads in the La Sal mountains.
Grosvner Arch and Kodachrome Canyon
Bryce Canyon
Just so so much in Utah.
North rim of the Grand Canyon might be to cold depending on time of year but way way better than the South Rim with way fewer to no people
Good to know, will save money on the winch then. I already have an on board air compressor, and was gifted this Boulder Tools Compact Tire Repair Kit

Thanks for the recommendations. Feel like there's way too much ground to cover for one trip. I've never been to the Grand Canyon so I may head out that way for a night. Have a nice heated blanket if it gets too cold.

Reactions: mainiacken

Contributor III

Philippines
First Name
James
Last Name
Smith
Oh, Utah is a fantastic place for an adventure! I've actually been there myself. Make sure to tackle the White Rim Trail, it's an absolute blast! And don't miss out on hiking the iconic trails like Wall Street, The Narrows, and Delicate Arch. When it comes to camping, Goblin Valley, Capitol Reef, and Dixie Forest are incredible spots to set up your tent. I planned my trip using VisitUtah and AllTrails, they had all the info I needed. Happy trip! ⛺️

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
I am planning to go on a 3 week overlanding trip to explore the great state of Utah. I'm looking for help planning out my trip. This is my first long trip doing something like this, and also my first time visiting Utah. I'll be going solo driving from Cleveland, Ohio. I have a 23 Ford Bronco on 35 inch tires, and I'd say I have moderate experience with off-roading. Currently winch-less, but I am considering adding a winch before I go on this trip.

The only thing I have planned so far is I got permits to do the White Rim Trail from May 26th to May 29th. Outside of that, my plans are completely wide open. I'd like to keep the trip in May/beginning of June before it starts getting too hot out. Seems there's an overwhelming amount of things to do in Utah, and I'd like to cover as much ground as possible. I do have a roof top tent, so I'm planning on camping/dispersed camping a majority of the trip. I'd also like to hit some of the popular hiking trails (wall street, the narrows, delicate arch trail).

Any help/resources for planning out my adventure are appreciated.
You will not want to miss Zion or Bryce either. You will be semi close if you have never seen the Grand Canyon the North rim is way better than the South rim. Great open camping: Kaibab National Forest - Timp & North Timp Viewpoints

Rich

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

I’ll be out there in April!
There are some boondocking opportunities along Hwy 12 in the Dixie National Forest, between Torrey and Escalante. IMHO, Utah has some of the best boondocking in the western U.S. Check out the Anasazi State Park Museum along the way.
Capitol Reef - the scenic drive will be closed all summer. You can still access Fruita and sites along UT-24, including the trailhead for Hickman Bridge (great hike).
Arches - the park requires timed entry reservations. Tickets for May go on sale February 1st. Suggested hikes: Delicate Arch, Tower Arch and Landscape Arch/Primitive Trail Loop. Lots of roads to explore in the La Sal Mountains south of Moab.
Zion - beautiful, but will be mega crowded. Angels Landing hike is lottery only; several of the best hiking routes are closed due to rockfalls. Still worth exploring.
Bryce - unique rock formations, some FCFS sites in the park. Hikes: Fairyland Loop, Queens Garden/Navajo/Peekaboo.
Canyonlands - very spread out sections (4) with separate entrances. Mostly shorter hikes, except the loop from Elephant Hill thru Chesler Park, which is awesome. If you’re going to see Goblin Valley, take the trip out to Horseshoe Canyon and hike to the very cool rock art panels.
Other notables: Kodachrome Basin, Natural Bridge and Escalante Petrified Forest State Parks; Bears Ears National Monument (tons of boondock sites) and House on Fire.
If you’re dipping into northern Arizona, +1 on the north rim of the Grand Canyon (look for the bison herd and Kaibab squirrels!). Also, hike into Buckskin Gulch via Wire Pass Trailhead.
If you pass thru northern New Mexico, Chaco Canyon is a must see. Great camping and stargazing if you can get a site.
Have a fantastic trip!

Michael Golden

Rank VI

Explorer I

Tampa Fl
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Golden
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG4BCN
Service Branch
U.S. Army
Last year I spent a month traveling around Utah and still didn't see everything. So, I'm planning on making a return trip as soon as I clear up some family issues.
1. For Arches National park they have a timed entry system that is a pain to deal with. However you can enter the park through Salt Valley Road or Willow Springs Road to go in the back door.
2. Boondocking or camping on BLM land is free and theres plenty of it around.
3. My must see areas are all around MOAB, Canyonlands National Park, North Rim of the Grand Canyon, White Rim is good, also check out the Rim Rocker Trail south of Moab. Shaffer trail is good for the experience. Not so much if you or your passengers don't like heights or shelf roads. Onion Creek Trail is a very easy and fun trail just off of 128 North of Moab.
4. Make a run up 128 just north of Moab, along the Colorado River. It an excellent drive over some beautiful scenery.
5. On the trip to Utah, Arizona, and Colorado from Florida I spent the nights at either Flying J or Loves truck stops for free. Every one I stayed at had a McDonalds, Arby's, or Wendys, or I could fix my own meals.
6. Look at the Downloadable Routes topic in the forum area. There are multiple routes and trips listed in there.
7. Above everything else take your time. Take plenty of pictures, and enjoy yourself. You'll never see everything you want to, and after you get home you'll find other places you missed. That will give you an idea of where to go on your next trip.

Last edited: