Need ideas for 8 days trip from Bay Area (CA) for end of February

• HTML tutorial

Arepas

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

USA
Member #

We are planning a 1 week trip at the end of February we are just not 100% sure where would it be. I have been thinking about Anza Borrego, it would be a 10 hour drive to get there from the bay area but unsure if there is much to do there or if there are better destinations that we would not freeze at night.

We did Death Valley last year and Joshua Tree and would like to see something different.

I did a little bit of research about Anza Borrego but there does not seem to be that much to do for so many days. We are willing to drive a bit longer.

PD: our rig is a JKU Rubicon with stock mud terrain tires and a 2" lift, a bit top heavy due to RTT.

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Following as I'm interested in good mid-winter Overlanding in the area as well...

-TJ

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
Moab is about 15 hours away, and there are a lot of interesting places to explore on the way there and back. Zion, Bryce, Capital Reef, Grand Staircase, Monument Valley, Arches, Canyonlands, Grand Canyon, etc...

Another closer trip could be exploring the Sedona, Prescott, Grand Canyon area in AZ.

Reactions: Arepas

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
Moab is about 15 hours away, and there are a lot of interesting places to explore on the way there and back. Zion, Bryce, Capital Reef, Grand Staircase, Monument Valley, Arches, Canyonlands, Grand Canyon, etc...

Another closer trip could be exploring the Sedona, Prescott, Grand Canyon area in AZ.
For your time slot I would agree with "Sedona, Prescott, Grand Canyon area in AZ" The weather wont be as cold as Utah can be at that time of year. There is a lot to see around there too. Also check out Jerome a little city in the mountains between Sedona and Prescott..

If you like canoeing do a trip through Blacks canyon on the Colorado river be sure to get reservations in early though I think the number of people on the river is limited. Doing a two day camping trip is my favorite just get an outfitter to supply the boat and transportation to the river. Bring your food tent and gear. (Be sure to securely tie your canoe up on dry land or it may be gone in the morning. We tied ours up 30 feet from the river and a few hours later it was floating around... The water had risen over 3 feet in an hour or twos time... Keep that in mind when you pitch your tent too... lol

If you are in Prescott on a weekend roll over to Skull Valley and hit some off pavement roads and visit Barnstar Brewery they are only open 12:00 to 5:00 Sat. and Sun. it is a popular place for horsemen, 4x4s, dirt bikes, side by sides and is in the middle of now where. About 20 minutes west of Prescott.

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
We are planning a 1 week trip at the end of February we are just not 100% sure where would it be. I have been thinking about Anza Borrego, it would be a 10 hour drive to get there from the bay area but unsure if there is much to do there or if there are better destinations that we would not freeze at night.

We did Death Valley last year and Joshua Tree and would like to see something different.

I did a little bit of research about Anza Borrego but there does not seem to be that much to do for so many days. We are willing to drive a bit longer.

PD: our rig is a JKU Rubicon with stock mud terrain tires and a 2" lift, a bit top heavy due to RTT.
I like the Lost Coast north of you, west of Hwy 5. Not as much off roading but there’s so much to see and do in the giant redwoods making your way up to Oregon. The temps aren’t too bad as you are closer to the coast and plenty of dispersed camping

A4D3CA20-58C5-4BC3-9F95-0429DF25750F.jpeg7098AA5B-9F76-4A2C-AAA2-B4B828169458.jpeg

Last edited:

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
I am not sure where you are going with your spread sheet information... Miles wise or Temp wise.

Average low temps are a good to get an idea of what it will be like but, we all know weather can be way off when you actually get there... For example Skull Valley next week will be 71 high and a 41 low... On the flip side 10 years ago I spent my winters (weeks) rock climbing in Joshua Tree and have seen a lot of single digit nights in March and in 30's even in April. So if you really want to be sure you will have 40 degrees or more lows you will need to go south like southern California or Southern AZ. or maybe near Lost Vegas most of those areas at least for me do not have too much to see.

Arepas

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

USA
Member #

yeah, I get that but statiscally speaking it allows me to see which area would be warmer unless an unexpected weather event happens.
I am not sure where you are going with your spread sheet information... Miles wise or Temp wise.

Average low temps are a good to get an idea of what it will be like but, we all know weather can be way off when you actually get there... For example Skull Valley next week will be 71 high and a 41 low... On the flip side 10 years ago I spent my winters (weeks) rock climbing in Joshua Tree and have seen a lot of single digit nights in March and in 30's even in April. So if you really want to be sure you will have 40 degrees or more lows you will need to go south like southern California or Southern AZ. or maybe near Lost Vegas most of those areas at least for me do not have too much to see.

whiskeyandwayfarers

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Sacramento, CA, USA
First Name
Kelyn
Last Name
Lampkin
Member #

I'm in Sacramento but would be down for a February trip.

As far as the Lost Coast goes, that looks like Usal beach. Awesome spot, but if February rains the roads out/back are gonna be a bitch

Arepas

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

USA
Member #

So, due to a family member suffering from migraines we decided to not force our selfs to 3 days of off road, we will be instead heading 2 nights to Mojave, then 4 to Joshua Tree and we have then other 2 nights that we might spend on Carrizo Plain or what ever we find along the way.

If everything goes well we might attempt Mojave trail again for spring break or maybe Lost Coast