Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

I actually heard that the other day. So is that trail off limits now? Or just have to go in from estes and go back out the same way?

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
A good section of that road goes through BLM land that is leased by ranchers. Apparently they had to much problem with people not closing the gates and cattle getting out, so they took it upon themselves to lock the gate. While the legality of locking it to the general public may be in question, since I was once a rancher with BLM land and the same problem, I tend to side with them. I know back during the flood, we ended up cutting the lock to get through.

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

Oh I totally understand that side of things cowboyed for a few places that had public land permits and that was the frustrating part about that. Same with archery hunters with stock on permit land. People dont get the fact of if its closed reclose it

John Jennings

Rank 0

Traveler I

You mean where you turn off of Peak to Peak highway and go up towards Middle St. Vrain and take Bunce School road?

Middle St. Vrain is nice with the campgrounds at Camp Dick and Peaceful Valley. If you keep going up, you can take the trail south over to Coney Flats, but it is a bit rough (he...he)
Location Map Color Map
USGS 7.5' Map:Allenspark
Statistics:
Difficulty:Number:Miles:Altitude:Obstacles:Time:
Moderate - 7FR11448680-9000 ft.Rock - 2
Water - 2
3-4 hours
County:Boulder
Adopted by:Trailridge Runners 4WD ClubP.O. Box 1716
Longmont, CO 80502
Managed by:Roosevelt National Forest
Boulder Ranger District
2140 Yarmouth St.
Boulder, CO 80301
(303)541-2500
Summary:The Middle St. Vrain River flows out of the Indian Peaks Wilderness along the Continental Divide and is the focal point for this muli-use area. Once a logging road to a mill and the surrounding timber supply, the old road is now used for motorized recreation and as access to an Indian Peaks Wilderness trailhead.
Attractions:At mile 3 along the Middle St. Vrain 4WD road is the Timberline Falls. Though the falls are not visible from the road, they are a 0.1 mile walk from the road. There is no trail, so you will have to find your way. There is a sign along the road marking the location of the falls (signs may be vandalized and not present). The Middle St. Vrain 4WD Road connects with the Coney Creek 4WD Road via the Coney Creek Cutoff.
Seasonal
Closure:
November to Late JuneThe Middle St. Vrain seasonal closure gates do not open until late June, or the first part of July. The 4WD road is reviewed as early as the third weekend in June by the Trailridge Runners 4WD Club to determine if the snow drifts have melted and the road bed is dry enough to handle vehicle traffic.
Best Time:July - Early in the month water crossings will be deepest due to spring run off. (All crossings are hardend to eliminate environmental impact)
August - Busiest time for all activities.
September - Late month for fall colors. Good views of Sawtooth Mountain and the Continental Divide.
Summer
Activities:
Hiking -​
Buchanan Pass FT910, Sourdough FT835, Beaver Creek FT911, Coney Lake FT914
Equestrian -​
Buchanan Pass FT910, Sourdough FT835, Beaver Creek FT911, Coney Lake FT914
Mountain Bike -​
Buchanan Pass FT910 (part), Sourdough FT835, Middle St. Vrain FR114, Coney Creek FR507
ATV -​
Middle St. Vrain FR114, Coney Creek FR507
Motorcycle -​
Camping:Camping is available at the Peaceful Valley and Camp Dick Forest Service campgrounds (fee required). Dispersed camping is allowed along the Middle St. Vrain 4WD road in existing sites. Camping is not allowed from the beginning of the Middle St. Vrain 4WD road for 1/2 mile. After 1/2 mile camping in dispersed sites is allowed. Camping in the Indian Peaks Wilderness requires a permit. Contact the Boulder Ranger District, (303)541-2500.
Base Camp:Camp Dick or Peaceful Valley campgrounds work well, but there is a fee. There is also camping along the Middle St. Vrain 4WD road and along the Bunce School Road with no fee required. There are five 4WD roads in the general area of Peaceful Valley; Middle St. Vrain, Bunce School, Coney Creek, Miller Rock, and Rock Creek.
Fall Colors:Fair - There are some aspen trees along the Middle St. Vrain road and along the Middle St. Vrain river.
Winter
Activities:
Snowshoeing -​
Entire area
Cross Country Skiing -​
Buchanan Pass FT910, Sourdough FT835, Coney Lake FT914
Snowmobile -​
Navigation:From Lyons, Colorado take highway 7 south toward Allenspark. At the intersection of Hwy 7 and Hwy 72 (the Peak to Peak Highway) go south to Peaceful Valley. Immediately after crossing the Middle St. Vrain River turn west at the Forest Access sign. Drive through Peaceful Valley campground and through the Camp Dick campground. At the west end of Camp Dick is a parking lot and the Middle St. Vrain 4WD road.
History:TheMiddle St. Vrain road was originally created to access the timber operations in the surrounding area. It followed the Middle St. Vrain river, ending at a mill near Red Deer Lake. In the 1950 the Middle St. Vrain road was drivable by standard vehicles.
Thanks, I appreciate it. I'm about to have some work done on my truck, then I'll head out there.

Reactions: Roam_CO85