Need help with lift kit on my Duramax.

• HTML tutorial

John Jennings

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hello all, I got in to overlanding about a year ago but didn't have a vehicle that I was confident would break out from under me or tear itself apart in adverse conditions. At the time I had a 2007 Sierra SLT, I got stationed at Fort Carson, CO. about 6 months ago and didn't think that truck would hold up to the Colorado terrain or weather. Being a die hard General Motors fan boy having been raised in the company and working for them for 7 years prior to the Army I went with the most reliable vehicle in my opinion that GM makes. The 3/4 ton Duramax series of pickups. I got a 2011 Silverado 2500HD LTZ with an LML. Yes, it's a 7,800lb long wheel base vehicle. I understand it has it's limitations because of their size and weight, but they're my favorite vehicles on the planet. With that aside, I bought it bone stock on purpose because I didn't want to take on someone else's project. When I got it, it had 125,000 miles on it. It has BFGoodrich TA/K02's on it that are pretty new. After I got it I drove it from Fort Carson to my hometown in North Carolina outside Lexington and back as well as all across the state. I put about 4000 miles on it in 10 days, it showed be that I can rely on the truck. Since then I have taken in on some trails around Colorado Springs and Pueblo. The first thing I did when I got the truck was replace the audio in the truck, swapping the BOSE system for Kicker KS speakers, a new amp and a Kicker 10 inch sub, I also added a tool box. So, going on the trails around here I have noticed a need for more clearance. So in my research I have come up that I want to go with a BDS lift, however I'm having trouble deciding on exactly what kit/height to go with. On one hand lifting it too high would necessitate the use of a drop hitch, but at the same time if I don't do enough I run the risk of having terrain that's going to be a challenge because of clearance. So, I'm hoping y'all can help me out a bit, what are your thoughts on the subject? I'm probably either going to run Fuel Vapor wheels or Micky Thompson Sidebiter II's with the BFGoodrich TA K02's. I understand that BDS is expensive and that there are similar kit's on the market, however having worked with their warranty when I was a service writer and how extensive the warranty is and my techs constantly talking about how nice their components were I'm pretty adamant about either them as my kit. Also I wanted to know if I decided to go with the 3inch coilover if I would have enough suspension travel and ground clearance as opposed to something like the 4.5 inch regular kit.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: J-P

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Ill say that for my colorado duramax with 3 inch lift and 32' tires ive found i need a drop hitch when hauling a trailer, if your only going 3" id recommend just doing a leveling kit they are cheap and if you dont like it you can go to stock or upgrade to a real lift. Between 3" and 4.5" lift your really not going to notice much difference now go to 6" and youll notice. 20190323_111617.jpg

mylilpwny

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

No experience with your gen but do have experience with the lb7 1st Gen. I used to have an 01 cclb with a 6 inch customized rcd lift with custom king shocks. @DieselPoweredCamel has an 02 ccsb with about a 3 inch lift ( we have no clue what it is as it came on the truck but looks like a combo of keys and different torsion bars). When we would go out when I still had that truck we were pretty well matched. Even tho I had a higher lift the front diff drop really didn't help front end clearance and the higher center of gravity didn't help much either. At the time I was running 35s and he was running 33s and has since switched to 35s. Imho if I were to do one of those trucks again I would go with a good 3 inch lift ( probably bds) and a set of good shocks, valved to the truck and driving style, and call it a day. While the 6 inch looked good there really wasn't much gained and the extra effort it caused in day to day was not worth the extra lift.

Reactions: John Jennings

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

There is over 12 inch of clearance between the axles and the ground with 32s, my front bumper is 20 inches from the ground. My z71 colorado is 1.5 inches taller than the zr2 bison and has 1inch bigger tires. So far i havent gotten hung up on any rocks or logs or anything else. Lets say i do alot of blind water crossings and im not worried about hitting anything i drive over

J-P

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler II

Montreal, QC, Canada
First Name
Jp
Last Name
Jerome
Member #

Hello all, I got in to overlanding about a year ago but didn't have a vehicle that I was confident would break out from under me or tear itself apart in adverse conditions. At the time I had a 2007 Sierra SLT, I got stationed at Fort Carson, CO. about 6 months ago and didn't think that truck would hold up to the Colorado terrain or weather. Being a die hard General Motors fan boy having been raised in the company and working for them for 7 years prior to the Army I went with the most reliable vehicle in my opinion that GM makes. The 3/4 ton Duramax series of pickups. I got a 2011 Silverado 2500HD LTZ with an LML. Yes, it's a 7,800lb long wheel base vehicle. I understand it has it's limitations because of their size and weight, but they're my favorite vehicles on the planet. With that aside, I bought it bone stock on purpose because I didn't want to take on someone else's project. When I got it, it had 125,000 miles on it. It has BFGoodrich TA/K02's on it that are pretty new. After I got it I drove it from Fort Carson to my hometown in North Carolina outside Lexington and back as well as all across the state. I put about 4000 miles on it in 10 days, it showed be that I can rely on the truck. Since then I have taken in on some trails around Colorado Springs and Pueblo. The first thing I did when I got the truck was replace the audio in the truck, swapping the BOSE system for Kicker KS speakers, a new amp and a Kicker 10 inch sub, I also added a tool box. So, going on the trails around here I have noticed a need for more clearance. So in my research I have come up that I want to go with a BDS lift, however I'm having trouble deciding on exactly what kit/height to go with. On one hand lifting it too high would necessitate the use of a drop hitch, but at the same time if I don't do enough I run the risk of having terrain that's going to be a challenge because of clearance. So, I'm hoping y'all can help me out a bit, what are your thoughts on the subject? I'm probably either going to run Fuel Vapor wheels or Micky Thompson Sidebiter II's with the BFGoodrich TA K02's. I understand that BDS is expensive and that there are similar kit's on the market, however having worked with their warranty when I was a service writer and how extensive the warranty is and my techs constantly talking about how nice their components were I'm pretty adamant about either them as my kit. Also I wanted to know if I decided to go with the 3inch coilover if I would have enough suspension travel and ground clearance as opposed to something like the 4.5 inch regular kit.
Hi John!
Nothing wrong with a pick up, I own a 2016 Canyon Duramax with long box.
i have KO2's on it and a 2'' lift (leveling kit) It is a minimal set up but i dont rock crawl or go in mud pits!!
it is to get me to camping spots using forrest roads and some mild trails.
I have looked at countless scenarios for my rig and it always comes back to what I want to do with the vehicle.
Its my daily driver for works as well so cant go full out as it needs to remain street legal.

BDS is a solid company that offers good value and service, you would not be disapointed with it.
3 inch lift would be a minimum, higher depends on what you want to tackle.
coil over are much more comfortable than leaf springs, i would suggest you speak with BDS and tell them exactly what you want to do, they know their stuff and should find you the best set-up for what you want to do.

Attachments

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

The nice thing about those 2500 is they already have a tall stance. A pro an con for some is the 3/4 ton gm has a independent front end. So leveling it will bring the front up how ever many inches a leveling kit levels it. The lifts really just allow you to get bigger tires under it and flex with out a rub.. your tires bring that pumpkin up and your lift brings your frame up. I put a 3 inch on my 1500 ram and ran 33.9 inch tires. And it sat prefect and for a full size rig. It handled every trail I wanted it to go on.

I live in northern colorado and the trails around here get kinda narrow. But a full size pickup is the way i went because of pulling horses with it. Exactly why I didnt go all out because it still needed to pull a trailer with out a big ass extension for a hitch

John Jennings

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hi John!
Nothing wrong with a pick up, I own a 2016 Canyon Duramax with long box.
i have KO2's on it and a 2'' lift (leveling kit) It is a minimal set up but i dont rock crawl or go in mud pits!!
it is to get me to camping spots using forrest roads and some mild trails.
I have looked at countless scenarios for my rig and it always comes back to what I want to do with the vehicle.
Its my daily driver for works as well so cant go full out as it needs to remain street legal.

BDS is a solid company that offers good value and service, you would not be disapointed with it.
3 inch lift would be a minimum, higher depends on what you want to tackle.
coil over are much more comfortable than leaf springs, i would suggest you speak with BDS and tell them exactly what you want to do, they know their stuff and should find you the best set-up for what you want to do.
Yeah, I sent them an email asking about it to see what they think. I appreciate the help. Any good places in Northern CO that you can reccomend?

Reactions: J-P

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

My bad, responded to the wrong person.
I do alot with bullhide 4x4 and fort collins 4x4. Both in Fort Collins. The bullhide place does very good work with heavy duty pickups. I had them do a ton of stuff with a ram 5500 i had and was pleased. If you like working on your stuff you can get parts pretty quick. Or they install but they have a big waiting list.

4wheel parts is less than a mile or two from the house but like dealing with the local guys

John Jennings

Rank 0

Traveler I

I do alot with bullhide 4x4 and fort collins 4x4. Both in Fort Collins. The bullhide place does very good work with heavy duty pickups. I had them do a ton of stuff with a ram 5500 i had and was pleased. If you like working on your stuff you can get parts pretty quick. Or they install but they have a big waiting list.

4wheel parts is less than a mile or two from the house but like dealing with the local guys
I meant more so along the lines of good trails and places to ride go around there. But I do appreciate the shops, I'll keep them in mind!

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

Oh i gotcha there. There are alot west of loveland fort collins. 7mile and old flowers road ballard road. Are ones that arent to bad for a stock pickup. Green ridge is good for a built one if its a short box it can move around ok. Killpecker and sandcreek roads are both fun If you look at maps for red feather lakes. Pingree park. Seven mile creek. Storm mountain west of loveland. Think that one comes out as drake colorado but not sure. There are some back toward lyons co west and black hawk. But cant remember the names.

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

Lookout mountain from ballard road is a fun one.. have you done the one west of westcliff colo that drops into the great sand dunes national park? I havent but if has alot of sand and water crossings

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

@old_man probably knows more of the names than I do that are west of lyons. Cant remember the name of it but one goes up to an old military plane crash. That one was a bit tight for me

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
@old_man probably knows more of the names than I do that are west of lyons. Cant remember the name of it but one goes up to an old military plane crash. That one was a bit tight for me
You mean where you turn off of Peak to Peak highway and go up towards Middle St. Vrain and take Bunce School road?

Middle St. Vrain is nice with the campgrounds at Camp Dick and Peaceful Valley. If you keep going up, you can take the trail south over to Coney Flats, but it is a bit rough (he...he)
Location Map Color Map
USGS 7.5' Map:Allenspark
Statistics:
Difficulty:Number:Miles:Altitude:Obstacles:Time:
Moderate - 7FR11448680-9000 ft.Rock - 2
Water - 2
3-4 hours
County:Boulder
Adopted by:Trailridge Runners 4WD ClubP.O. Box 1716
Longmont, CO 80502
Managed by:Roosevelt National Forest
Boulder Ranger District
2140 Yarmouth St.
Boulder, CO 80301
(303)541-2500
Summary:The Middle St. Vrain River flows out of the Indian Peaks Wilderness along the Continental Divide and is the focal point for this muli-use area. Once a logging road to a mill and the surrounding timber supply, the old road is now used for motorized recreation and as access to an Indian Peaks Wilderness trailhead.
Attractions:At mile 3 along the Middle St. Vrain 4WD road is the Timberline Falls. Though the falls are not visible from the road, they are a 0.1 mile walk from the road. There is no trail, so you will have to find your way. There is a sign along the road marking the location of the falls (signs may be vandalized and not present). The Middle St. Vrain 4WD Road connects with the Coney Creek 4WD Road via the Coney Creek Cutoff.
Seasonal
Closure:
November to Late JuneThe Middle St. Vrain seasonal closure gates do not open until late June, or the first part of July. The 4WD road is reviewed as early as the third weekend in June by the Trailridge Runners 4WD Club to determine if the snow drifts have melted and the road bed is dry enough to handle vehicle traffic.
Best Time:July - Early in the month water crossings will be deepest due to spring run off. (All crossings are hardend to eliminate environmental impact)
August - Busiest time for all activities.
September - Late month for fall colors. Good views of Sawtooth Mountain and the Continental Divide.
Summer
Activities:
Hiking -​
Buchanan Pass FT910, Sourdough FT835, Beaver Creek FT911, Coney Lake FT914
Equestrian -​
Buchanan Pass FT910, Sourdough FT835, Beaver Creek FT911, Coney Lake FT914
Mountain Bike -​
Buchanan Pass FT910 (part), Sourdough FT835, Middle St. Vrain FR114, Coney Creek FR507
ATV -​
Middle St. Vrain FR114, Coney Creek FR507
Motorcycle -​
Camping:Camping is available at the Peaceful Valley and Camp Dick Forest Service campgrounds (fee required). Dispersed camping is allowed along the Middle St. Vrain 4WD road in existing sites. Camping is not allowed from the beginning of the Middle St. Vrain 4WD road for 1/2 mile. After 1/2 mile camping in dispersed sites is allowed. Camping in the Indian Peaks Wilderness requires a permit. Contact the Boulder Ranger District, (303)541-2500.
Base Camp:Camp Dick or Peaceful Valley campgrounds work well, but there is a fee. There is also camping along the Middle St. Vrain 4WD road and along the Bunce School Road with no fee required. There are five 4WD roads in the general area of Peaceful Valley; Middle St. Vrain, Bunce School, Coney Creek, Miller Rock, and Rock Creek.
Fall Colors:Fair - There are some aspen trees along the Middle St. Vrain road and along the Middle St. Vrain river.
Winter
Activities:
Snowshoeing -​
Entire area
Cross Country Skiing -​
Buchanan Pass FT910, Sourdough FT835, Coney Lake FT914
Snowmobile -​
Navigation:From Lyons, Colorado take highway 7 south toward Allenspark. At the intersection of Hwy 7 and Hwy 72 (the Peak to Peak Highway) go south to Peaceful Valley. Immediately after crossing the Middle St. Vrain River turn west at the Forest Access sign. Drive through Peaceful Valley campground and through the Camp Dick campground. At the west end of Camp Dick is a parking lot and the Middle St. Vrain 4WD road.
History:TheMiddle St. Vrain road was originally created to access the timber operations in the surrounding area. It followed the Middle St. Vrain river, ending at a mill near Red Deer Lake. In the 1950 the Middle St. Vrain road was drivable by standard vehicles.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roam_CO85

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

Yes bunce school road is the name! I havent been up in that area in a long time. Poll hill road is nother good one. Another way to get to estes park. Pretty open for a full size.

Reactions: old_man

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Yes bunce school road is the name! I havent been up in that area in a long time. Poll hill road is nother good one. Another way to get to estes park. Pretty open for a full size.
Pole hill is normally closed with a locked gate so good luck. Used to do that a lot a few years back.