Need help planning a weekend camping trip with the family.

• HTML tutorial

Hectorp

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Boca Raton, FL, USA
First Name
Hector
Last Name
Perez
Member #

I’m hoping to get out of town this upcoming weekend, most of our trips have been camping at registered camp sites. I want to try more primitive stuff with the kids. I’m in south Florida (east coast) I would be good with driving 3 or 4 hours to get there. Any advice on somewhere cool to go with two kids under 10 years old would be awesome! Thanks in advance
Hector

Hectorp

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Boca Raton, FL, USA
First Name
Hector
Last Name
Perez
Member #

Is Ocala National Forest near enough to you? National Forests are a good place to start with dispersed primitive camping.
Was thinking about Ocala national forest.....so basically you go there and drive around until you find a good spot or is there a specific trail to look for? Thanks

Bama_Kiwi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Christchurch, New Zealand
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Frank
Member #

Was thinking about Ocala national forest.....so basically you go there and drive around until you find a good spot or is there a specific trail to look for? Thanks
Well, I am not familiar with Ocala National Forest specifically, but for the National Forests I do have experience with (Tuskegee and Talladega NF in Alabama) that is essentially what you do. There will be roads throughout the Forest - could be anything from well-maintained paved roads to gravel to over-grown fire service roads. Some of the roads will have predefined numbered camp sites - usually without any services. However, you can usually also just head off into the woods and make camp wherever you like. Be sure to check for any fire ban status, etc.

Reactions: Hectorp

Hectorp

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Boca Raton, FL, USA
First Name
Hector
Last Name
Perez
Member #

Well, I am not familiar with Ocala National Forest specifically, but for the National Forests I do have experience with (Tuskegee and Talladega NF in Alabama) that is essentially what you do. There will be roads throughout the Forest - could be anything from well-maintained paved roads to gravel to over-grown fire service roads. Some of the roads will have predefined numbered camp sites - usually without any services. However, you can usually also just head off into the woods and make camp wherever you like. Be sure to check for any fire ban status, etc.
Thanks a ton! I think that’s what we will likely be doing.