Need help on finding a overlanding spot in CA

• HTML tutorial

wentian zhou

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

San Jose, CA
Member #

Hi, all. I am planning a road trip for the memorial weekend. I am new to the overlanding world, but I think I have all the gears that I need. I just a little lost when it comes to finding a overlanding spot for the night. How does you guy find a camping spot in the national park / national forest / other places? I am used to making a reservation for camping site and pay for them, but I see lots of overlanders on YOUTUBE drive into the forest and somehow find a spot with a fire ring for the night. Is there anyone here can educate me, and recommend some spots for newbies like me to spend the weekends?

Thanks in advance.

kaikandojo

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

5556 Masonic Ave, Oakland, CA 94618
First Name
Jarret
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

I'd start with checking out the U.S. Forest Service website for the national forests you are looking at. There are lots of no-reservation campgrounds. That's a good starting point. Once you are in the national forest or BLM area, you'll find lots of forest service roads. Check with the local agencies around dispersed camping or fire restrictions.

https://www.fs.fed.us/visit/destinations?field_fs_states_tid_selective=19&field_rec_forest_tid_selective=All&field_rec_activities_tid_selective=All

https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/mendocino/recreation/camping-cabins/?recid=25120&actid=29

https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/stanislaus/recreation/camping-cabins

Reactions: MBroenkow

wentian zhou

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

San Jose, CA
Member #

I'd start with checking out the U.S. Forest Service website for the national forests you are looking at. There are lots of no-reservation campgrounds. That's a good starting point. Once you are in the national forest or BLM area, you'll find lots of forest service roads. Check with the local agencies around dispersed camping or fire restrictions.

https://www.fs.fed.us/visit/destinations?field_fs_states_tid_selective=19&field_rec_forest_tid_selective=All&field_rec_activities_tid_selective=All

https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/mendocino/recreation/camping-cabins/?recid=25120&actid=29

https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/stanislaus/recreation/camping-cabins
Thank you very much for the suggestions. I will check them and probably ask more questions later. :>

Influencer II

In most cases, I go on trails that are either mentioned or recommended by forum members or friends. As for finding campgrounds, as long as you're in the national forest, or BLM land, you can set up tent anywhere, where you 1) Don't cause problems with traffic IE: Park on the trail and block others from passing 2) Don't have to tamper with the surroundings to make your campsite. 3) Anywhere that doesn't specifically say no camping.

Essentially, you'll need to find an open area where you can pull off to the side of the trail, and be able to set up camp. Most these open areas have already been used by other campers, so you will find fire rings. And it'll be quite obvious.

For fire making, get your free campfire permit here. And as mentioned, check fire restrictions.

wentian zhou

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

San Jose, CA
Member #

In most cases, I go on trails that are either mentioned or recommended by forum members or friends. As for finding campgrounds, as long as you're in the national forest, or BLM land, you can set up tent anywhere, where you 1) Don't cause problems with traffic IE: Park on the trail and block others from passing 2) Don't have to tamper with the surroundings to make your campsite. 3) Anywhere that doesn't specifically say no camping.

Essentially, you'll need to find an open area where you can pull off to the side of the trail, and be able to set up camp. Most these open areas have already been used by other campers, so you will find fire rings. And it'll be quite obvious.

For fire making, get your free campfire permit here. And as mentioned, check fire restrictions.
I am so happy that I joined the community. Thank you very much for this information, I will get the campfire permit.

Reactions: theoutbackdream

Sgt12XU

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sunnyvale, CA
Member #

Search for "dispersed" campsites online. Those are the no facility type we look for.

A lot of regular camping/recreational areas in the Sierras will open up for the season on Memorial Day. Lake Alpine comes to mind. Most 4x4 trails in the Sierras opened on 4/15. We shall see how much snow remains. Heavy snow areas open later in the year (i.e. Gold Lake 4x4 campground).

Get yourself the CA backroads and 4x4 trails book. It will give you 100 options to choose from. Buy it here:

MBroenkow

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Sonoma County, CA
Member #

As fantastic as Lake Alpine (up Hwy 4) and Pinecrest Lake (up Hwy 108) are, these kind of locations are going to be absolutely mobbed with people on big holiday weekends. : (

The CA backroads and 4x4 trails book is a good resource, just keep in mind there's a wide rage of trail difficulty encompassed within their definition of "Moderate". Some Moderate trails are easy, while some are among the most difficult I've run yet.

I think National Forests and BLM land (especially if you can make it over to the eastern Sierras) are your best bet for a quiet holiday weekend. Mendocino National Forest is my personal favorite, but Stanislaus, Tahoe and Plumas are also wonderful places to explore.

wentian zhou

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

San Jose, CA
Member #

T
Search for "dispersed" campsites online. Those are the no facility type we look for.

A lot of regular camping/recreational areas in the Sierras will open up for the season on Memorial Day. Lake Alpine comes to mind. Most 4x4 trails in the Sierras opened on 4/15. We shall see how much snow remains. Heavy snow areas open later in the year (i.e. Gold Lake 4x4 campground).

Get yourself the CA backroads and 4x4 trails book. It will give you 100 options to choose from. Buy it here:

I am buying that book. Thank you very much for the recommendation. I guess that I will try to avoid hard trails since I only have a regular Jeep JKU. I can only go where my vehicle can which should be plenty to explore.

wentian zhou

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

San Jose, CA
Member #

As fantastic as Lake Alpine (up Hwy 4) and Pinecrest Lake (up Hwy 108) are, these kind of locations are going to be absolutely mobbed with people on big holiday weekends. : (

The CA backroads and 4x4 trails book is a good resource, just keep in mind there's a wide rage of trail difficulty encompassed within their definition of "Moderate". Some Moderate trails are easy, while some are among the most difficult I've run yet.

I think National Forests and BLM land (especially if you can make it over to the eastern Sierras) are your best bet for a quiet holiday weekend. Mendocino National Forest is my personal favorite, but Stanislaus, Tahoe and Plumas are also wonderful places to explore.
Thank you for the reminder on the book. I am buying that book. Once I figured a location I will come and ask more questions. Thank you

Influencer II

I guess that I will try to avoid hard trails since I only have a regular Jeep JKU. I can only go where my vehicle can which should be plenty to explore.
You'd be surprised by how capable a stock JKU is. Since you're in SJ, try going to Hollister Hills and have some fun there and see the capabilities of your JKU! Better to go with someone who knows the trails though...