Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Poquoson, VA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Marquez
Member #

Ok OB family, I’m in the hunt for a very good quality axe. Budget is not a concern as I will pay for top quality....what brands should I consider?

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

If budget is not a concern I would go for a Gransfors Brüks. I have their hatchet and small Forest Axe, but the one I reach for most now is my Gransfors Bruks Ray Mears Wilderness Axe, usually only available from the Ray Mears Bushcraft Woodlore site. What Mears came up with in collaboration with Gransfors Bruks easily replaces my other two and does a lot more, to boot.

I used to carry a 3lb axe with long handle for camp chores and have found the Gransfors Bruks tools to be so far superior to anything else I've used over the years. So much more can be done with a well made axe head and great steel.

gransforsbruk-5225-600.jpg
Axe choices are likely to be as contentious here as RTTs, bumpers, new vehicle accessories or whatever else. What matters in the end is having a tool you like that is safe, feels good in your hands, does what you need it to, and and is a tool you're proud to keep in shape.

Personally, I like to go with tools and gear I can pass on, as well.

Last edited:

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
What matters in the end is having a tool you like that is safe, feels good in your hands, does what you need it too, and and is a tool you're proud to keep in shape.

Personally, I like to go with tools and gear I can pass on, as well.
That's very well to the point, I could not have said better. You can get a lot of opinions and experiences on equipment here. Which ist good because you can learn from others. And in the end you have to decide for yourself and your needs what is right. Just to add, I like my Fiskars X7. I've been using it for years, it's still top and I'm very happy with it. I think the price-performance ratio is very good.

Reactions: Road

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
I second the Gransfors Bruks axes. they are incredibly sharp right out of the gate and they have many options to choose from that have different handle length and head sizes.

Reactions: Newticus and Road

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I love a good wood handle but honestly, the composite axe handles are the best.

Reactions: Armor_LG

wigsajumper

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Maine, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Wiggin
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Third for Gransfors Bruks axes. I have the Small Forester's Axe. Perfect size for when I am doing tree work. I also have a full sized felling axe that I use when I don't care about the edge. Not sure of the brand came home with as it was part of my "Pioneer Tools" setup for the Humvee.

OverLamb24

Rank V

Advocate III

Spencerville, Maryland, United States
First Name
Carlos
Last Name
Cordero
Member #

There are many different models out there that do different things. First figure out what you need it for then you can go down the list of makers and their respective offerings. I am however partial to the Scandinavian hand forged varieties.

Reactions: Mrprez and Road

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I've used various axes over the years and my #1 recommendation is get one with a fiberglass handle! I've had more than one wood handle break but have never had a fiberglass handle break! I have several Fiskar tools including hatches and they all perform well and hold up for a long time.

Reactions: El-Dracho

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

FIskars for me, I have the hatchet and the Axe, light, easy to use, a great tool for a reasonable price.

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
Depends what I'm doing.

Splitting lots of wood to set myself up for a season? I'm using a hydraulic log-splitter or, if manual labour is my preference, a heavy maul. It might take a bit more energy to swing, but they will effortlessly split even the largest logs with the right technique.

If I'm just chopping a few logs from the woodpile for the fire in the backyard? I'm grabbing my Fiskars axe, every time -- to echo what many others have said, the toughness, sharpness, usability, and durability of the Fiskars is hard to beat at any price. The head design is fantastic too as it really does a good job of blending a regular axe and a splitting maul. The disadvantage to the Fiskars is the physical size -- it's a bit big to haul around the place in a backpack, for example, because the handle is so long. But, this handle is also partly what makes it so good with it's extra leverage.

Overlanding? I reach for the Estwing Camp Axe. This axe is good at chopping wood -- not the best, but it works good. It excels in felling trees or clearing brush, which is a common occurrence when overlanding, because it's super effective but also light enough to use all day. The Fiskars is a bit long and unwieldy (at least, relative to the Estwing) so it makes it harder to clear brush and I find my Fiskar axe less effective at chopping fallen logs because it is biased to be more of a splitting axe. Whereas the Fiskars is an excellent "around camp" axe, the Estwing is the "Jack of all trades, master of none" axe that I toss in my vehicle for adventures.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Any axe is quickly useless without a good file and a finishing whetstone, and knowing how to use it. Personally I carry one I got at HF. I tecommend a composite handle. Lack of expertise leads to a lot of cracked axe handles.

Last edited:

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
I’m impressed with my Estwing hatchet. I’d imagine their ax is just as capable. I’ve heard great things about Fiskar. I’d like to get a full size ax and I’m deciding between the two.
If I had to pick just one, it’s be the Estwing. It’s an all-round handier tool. Beyond the stuff I mentioned above, it’s also all steel — I’ve used it to move logs in the fire and even as a spatula to flip steaks on the grill because I forgot my normal kitchen tools at home. And it’s great for the odd tasks — driving tent pegs and such. I wouldn’t use my Fiskar axe for this variety of applications.

But a caveat - the Fiskars axe I have and am comparing my Estwing to is their Splitting Axe; I have the 36” one. They have a few models of axe including the chopping axe which I suspect is closer in performance and general handiness to the Estwing in terms of usability. But, the composite handle still means I’m not using my Fiskars to stir the fire coals or flip steaks!

Mojavewanderer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Steward I

Hemet, CA, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Caldon
Member #

I carry an old Plumb Victory boys axe I bought at a garage sale. I cleaned it, sharpened it, and made a sheath for it. Good steel that holds an edge, and the original wood handle cleaned up nicely, and looks great with some boiled linseed oil rubbed into it. I also have an old Craftsman carpenter’s hatchet that got the same treatment. The old axes were great steel, and well worth restoring.

Reactions: 64Trvlr and Road