young

Rank I

Enthusiast I

US
First Name
Young
Last Name
Kim
I am going to try the whole route from this Sat in my 4wd truck as my vacation starts. I dont see anyone could complete the whole route.

Reactions: Dusther210

gcanton

Rank 0

Contributor I

Putnam Valley, NY
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Canton
I just completed the first two legs of this with 3 of my friends who have adventure bikes. I followed them in my Grand Cherokee carrying all of our camping gear. In the past I have also done the beginning of the third leg. My takeaway is that it can be easily done in a 4x4. There were 2 spots that I couldn't have done, the first one on the first leg because a big tree was down, and it was too much for our electric chainsaw. The bikes probably could have gone underneath, but we found another route and went around. The second was on the 2nd leg, there is a built in go around, but we went the hard way first. There was a sign saying for cars to stay off because you will get stuck, my friends rode up a bit and said it would have been too narrow for me to get through, so we backtracked and just took the easy way which was still a great ride. All the roads on the route are public roads, and some are seasonal unmaintained forest roads. If you aren't comfortable going down them, just go around. Drive slowly and carefully, respect the people who live on these roads and it shouldn't be a problem. As for the route from MA on, I don't know if it's going to be the same.

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

I just completed the first two legs of this with 3 of my friends who have adventure bikes. I followed them in my Grand Cherokee carrying all of our camping gear. In the past I have also done the beginning of the third leg. My takeaway is that it can be easily done in a 4x4. There were 2 spots that I couldn't have done, the first one on the first leg because a big tree was down, and it was too much for our electric chainsaw. The bikes probably could have gone underneath, but we found another route and went around. The second was on the 2nd leg, there is a built in go around, but we went the hard way first. There was a sign saying for cars to stay off because you will get stuck, my friends rode up a bit and said it would have been too narrow for me to get through, so we backtracked and just took the easy way which was still a great ride. All the roads on the route are public roads, and some are seasonal unmaintained forest roads. If you aren't comfortable going down them, just go around. Drive slowly and carefully, respect the people who live on these roads and it shouldn't be a problem. As for the route from MA on, I don't know if it's going to be the same.
Great info! Thank you for reaching out!

Reactions: Dusther210

K9LTW

Rank IV
Investor

Traveler III

Front Royal, VA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Arnold
Member #

The second was on the 2nd leg, there is a built in go around, but we went the hard way first. There was a sign saying for cars to stay off because you will get stuck, my friends rode up a bit and said it would have been too narrow for me to get through, so we backtracked and just took the easy way which was still a great ride.
Was this County Route 3 up Vly Mountain? I'm about to finalize my NEBDR/Appalachian Byway mash-up to get us from NW Virginia to Maine in September. Currently I have us staying on CR3, but if it's too narrow (lifted 1st-gen Sequoia with RTT), then we'll bypass it.

young

Rank I

Enthusiast I

US
First Name
Young
Last Name
Kim
Did you ever get out to do the route, @young ?
Yeah, i completed the whole NEBDR and I took most of the alternatives as easy route for 5 days. That could be longer if you prefer to take time. The easy alternatives are very suitable for 4wd. In beginning of the NEBDR, I intentionally the hard route instead taking alternative, the trail is very rocky and steep which I managed to make it out. So, in VT, I missed the alternative, the trail was not too bad and after few miles, it got narrowed and it has large rocks. I had to turn back. A few small sections of the NEBDR requires 4wd vehicles. Your Sequoia should be fine if you know to surpass challenging obstacles where there are no alternatives. I have midsize truck double cab with long bed and rear locker (Didn't use it on the route). Drive slow on curved trails in mountains that you may have head on crash.

Be prepared to find places in advance where you need to sleep. I paid at a RV/Campground and nearby Inn before days got dark because they close early.

Have plenty of cash because some areas take cash only. Don't miss hidden "Sandwich Creamery" spot.

As someone mentioned that some communities seemed not too pleased to see "travelers" passing through. I did wave to some but they ignored me.

At very end of the NEBDR, I don't think stock 4wd vehicles can across the big dips by the R. Pond and you can take a bit hiking for about half mile, maybe less, there is a little cross and some coins on it. You may need a couple of resting days before returning to work.

Here are the pictures at the end.

Attachments

K9LTW

Rank IV
Investor

Traveler III

Front Royal, VA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Arnold
Member #

Yeah, i completed the whole NEBDR and I took most of the alternatives as easy route for 5 days. That could be longer if you prefer to take time. The easy alternatives are very suitable for 4wd. In beginning of the NEBDR, I intentionally the hard route instead taking alternative, the trail is very rocky and steep which I managed to make it out. So, in VT, I missed the alternative, the trail was not too bad and after few miles, it got narrowed and it has large rocks. I had to turn back. A few small sections of the NEBDR requires 4wd vehicles. Your Sequoia should be fine if you know to surpass challenging obstacles where there are no alternatives. I have midsize truck double cab with long bed and rear locker (Didn't use it on the route). Drive slow on curved trails in mountains that you may have head on crash.

Be prepared to find places in advance where you need to sleep. I paid at a RV/Campground and nearby Inn before days got dark because they close early.

Have plenty of cash because some areas take cash only. Don't miss hidden "Sandwich Creamery" spot.

As someone mentioned that some communities seemed not too pleased to see "travelers" passing through. I did wave to some but they ignored me.

At very end of the NEBDR, I don't think stock 4wd vehicles can across the big dips by the R. Pond and you can take a bit hiking for about half mile, maybe less, there is a little cross and some coins on it. You may need a couple of resting days before returning to work.

Here are the pictures at the end.
Sounds good! I'd already planned on taking alternatives (other than CR3), so should be covered there. And we're all set on sites! Reserved a site at a New York State Park, and two Hipcamp private sites (one on the way up, one on the way back), and will boondock two nights on the way up that I've marked along my route. Taking five days to go up, but breaking off pretty early in Maine, so won't need to worry about the very end. We're staying on Lake Saint George in Liberty for six days at an AirBnB, and that's SW of Acadia. Hitting Mount Washington, and then just super-slabbing it home from there with an overnight, so that should be an easy trip. Can't waaaaaaaaaaaaaaait.

Reactions: RJ Howell

young

Rank I

Enthusiast I

US
First Name
Young
Last Name
Kim
Sounds good! I'd already planned on taking alternatives (other than CR3), so should be covered there. And we're all set on sites! Reserved a site at a New York State Park, and two Hipcamp private sites (one on the way up, one on the way back), and will boondock two nights on the way up that I've marked along my route. Taking five days to go up, but breaking off pretty early in Maine, so won't need to worry about the very end. We're staying on Lake Saint George in Liberty for six days at an AirBnB, and that's SW of Acadia. Hitting Mount Washington, and then just super-slabbing it home from there with an overnight, so that should be an easy trip. Can't waaaaaaaaaaaaaaait.
Didn't think about the hipcamp. About the Mt washington, call them about its open schedule. I went there but it was closed until the Memorial day weekend. Good luck.

Reactions: K9LTW

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Funny you're heading up here and I'm heading down there.. Have you run the MABDR with your truck? I'm looking at that as a return route home.

K9LTW

Rank IV
Investor

Traveler III

Front Royal, VA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Arnold
Member #

Funny you're heading up here and I'm heading down there.. Have you run the MABDR with your truck? I'm looking at that as a return route home.
I've only run the northern half of MA2 from Liberty, VA (US-250) through MA3 to US-48. From everything I've read, that's where a vast majority of actual dirt is...as well as the southern half of MA2. Any and all dirt was strictly well-maintained, and wide, forest roads with a couple dips through shallow stream crossings. You should have zero issues with your truck. Now if you want to go exploring, you may quickly run into some tight spots, but sticking to the route I don't foresee any issues at all. I wouldn't hesitate to take my Power Wagon through the entirety of the route towing my Intech Explore. My Sequoia was comically overbuilt for it. My Forester would eat the miles up easily as well.

IMG_8959.jpgIMG_8953.jpg

Reactions: RJ Howell