NC Piedmont/CLT Meet-Up Planning

• HTML tutorial

Contributor I

How are the dirt roads at Francis Marion? I have a stock Silverado pretty much...so I tend to just look for cool areas to explore on easy dirt roads
They were easy mostly one road was bad for mostly stock vehicles but have ways to by pass the bad spots. Some mud holes not too bad though. I got a Gaia track of it an I stopped at all paved roads and turned around soo it’s not all just like how it sounded.

Reactions: Sasquatch SC

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Jefferson County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

I love Francis Marion hope you have a good time. Last time I went I drove 44 miles of dirt roads and didn’t hit any pavement.
It's definitely an underrated park.

Another one with miles and miles of dirt road is the Long Cane District of Sumter National Forest. I got my undergrad degree at Lander University in Greenwood, SC and I used to do a lot of mountain biking out there. At a tiny college like that near a rural area there aren't a ton of things to do in town - but I had a buddy who had an old Suburban with a small lift and AT's that we called the Fun Bus. We used to go booze cruising down the dirt roads out there. You can actually go from the area outside Greenwood, SC south all the way down to just north of Augusta, GA on the dirt roads.

There used to be a mountain bike race that was put on by SORBA (Southern Off-Road Bicycle Association - part of IMBA, International Mountain Bike Association) called the Sumter Century because it was a bit over 100 kilometers. I think the total was closer to over 120 kilometers of single track mountain bike trails combined with gravel roads. In a vehicle, you can go for probably close to 50 miles while continuing in a single direction. You'd have to switch between roads and a few paved crossings. I have some mapped routes going through there, but they are on paper. I would have to dig out my mountain bike gear out to find them. I haven't mountain biked in a long time, and when I was really into it we didn't have smartphones or reliable GPS.

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

So what is the plan for the next trip/event?
I missed Brown Mountain, made the Uwharrie, and reluctantly bumbled my way through trying to organize the Old NC 105 ride.

As someone in a rig better suited for regular trails than the OHV trails/parks - I would prefer that kind of thing. The OHV trails are mostly designed and carved for people to push the limits on purpose built trail vehicles. The Jeeps, Tacos & Runners (among others) dominate out there. I have ground clearance, but my wheelbase length, approach and departure angles are not suited for the big humps they like to put on the OHV trails that will leave me high and dry.
So personally, I would like to hit some trails/tracks/forestry roads. Some Point A to Point B kind of stuff. That's just one person's opinion though. If enough people want to do OHV trails and a meetup, I'm cool with that and will probably show up still - but like a Uwharrie, I won't be trying to put the Battlewagon down any Jeep trails. I'll either try to bum a ride with someone else going on the trails or beat it.

Let's make a plan and rock it though. This NC Piedmont/CLT area group has also absorbed a lot of people outside that general area - probably because of a lack of organization in other areas. There are a good many of us from the upstate of SC (region map for reference) and from WNC. I don't know if most people want to stay in their backyards, or if people are interested in a weekend trip to a bit outside of this immediate area. I have several spots on my list that are still here in the SC/NC/GA/TN area. This region we live in makes all of those areas easily accessible.

Also - before anyone makes the suggestion - Robert, @Graham1298 and I went up Hurricane Creek yesterday. It's in need of a LOT of TLC. It would be tough to get more than 4 rigs in convoy up there and the campsites are tight quarters. So I wouldn't recommend it for a Rally Point.

JasKolp

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Idaho, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Kolp
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4TLR
I missed Brown Mountain, made the Uwharrie, and reluctantly bumbled my way through trying to organize the Old NC 105 ride.

As someone in a rig better suited for regular trails than the OHV trails/parks - I would prefer that kind of thing. The OHV trails are mostly designed and carved for people to push the limits on purpose built trail vehicles. The Jeeps, Tacos & Runners (among others) dominate out there. I have ground clearance, but my wheelbase length, approach and departure angles are not suited for the big humps they like to put on the OHV trails that will leave me high and dry.
So personally, I would like to hit some trails/tracks/forestry roads. Some Point A to Point B kind of stuff. That's just one person's opinion though. If enough people want to do OHV trails and a meetup, I'm cool with that and will probably show up still - but like a Uwharrie, I won't be trying to put the Battlewagon down any Jeep trails. I'll either try to bum a ride with someone else going on the trails or beat it.

Let's make a plan and rock it though. This NC Piedmont/CLT area group has also absorbed a lot of people outside that general area - probably because of a lack of organization in other areas. There are a good many of us from the upstate of SC (region map for reference) and from WNC. I don't know if most people want to stay in their backyards, or if people are interested in a weekend trip to a bit outside of this immediate area. I have several spots on my list that are still here in the SC/NC/GA/TN area. This region we live in makes all of those areas easily accessible.

Also - before anyone makes the suggestion - Robert, @Graham1298 and I went up Hurricane Creek yesterday. It's in need of a LOT of TLC. It would be tough to get more than 4 rigs in convoy up there and the campsites are tight quarters. So I wouldn't recommend it for a Rally Point.
Once I get some more ground clearance and some armor on my underside, I'll be more willing to go on harder trails like Brown Mountain/Uwharrie. But for now I'd like to take easier trails, maybe ones harder than NC105, even though I'm sure my ML is more capable than I am based on how it did and how much I was stressing at Brown Mountain.

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

Once I get some more ground clearance and some armor on my underside, I'll be more willing to go on harder trails like Brown Mountain/Uwharrie. But for now I'd like to take easier trails, maybe ones harder than NC105, even though I'm sure my ML is more capable than I am based on how it did and how much I was stressing at Brown Mountain.
I'm open to do part of the Georgia Traverse or check out Nemo Tunnel - I'm just not sure how many people from this group would be willing to venture away from home.

Reactions: Thatsilver100

JasKolp

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Idaho, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Kolp
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4TLR
I'm open to do part of the Georgia Traverse or check out Nemo Tunnel - I'm just not sure how many people from this group would be willing to venture away from home.
Personally, I don't mind driving to TN or GA for trips. I don't really have obligations that would need to keep me within a couple hours from my home like others might have.

JButtress

Rank VI

Traveler II

Chattanooga, TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Buttress
Member #

I"m always open to get out there...like you I prefer to stick to the easier stuff...and would gladly jump in another rig to explore some harder trails. Plus, with my trailer...we could always that to "stake" a campsite and then go out and explore. I'd love to get out at least once a month or more

JButtress

Rank VI

Traveler II

Chattanooga, TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Buttress
Member #

I"m open as well to go just about anywhere. If its just a single over night trip...i'd prefer to keep it at 3-4 hours drive time to the location...anything further I would prefer to do a 2 night trip

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

Okay, let's do this thing. Let's plan for 2 weeks, the weekend of July 27. Here are the two options I am thinking hard on:
  1. OPTION ONE: Pisgah - starting near Davidson Creek (near Brevard). From there going north on the gravel by the Avery Creek stables, a quick stretch of less than a mile on pavement to transition over to gravel on Yellow Gap Road going east. A jaunt south to Wolf Ford and then back-tracking back up to Yellow Gap. From there continuing east to North Mills River Campground. From there north on another forestry road up Bad Fork Valley and ending at the Blue Ridge Parkway. Including the out-and-back section it is about 37 miles. 4,672 feet of incline, 3,586 feet of decline. I marked up a route on Goggle Maps you can see here: Google Maps
  2. OPTION TWO: Gorges State Park - this was brought to my attention by Sam, @Thatsilver100. He shared this video - - and it looks like a good time. Waiting to get some route info on it.
So... which one are you more interested in?

Reactions: Sartorius

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
My vote would be for Gorges State Park. Another option would be to hit up Musterground Mountain.

The peak of the mountain is here: Google Maps

The trail access for Musterground Road begins at the Lower Whitewater Falls Trail Access here: Google Maps

I'll take a picture of my topo map in a bit to show the actual road and where it goes but, basically, you go East over the Whitewater River, then South down that peninsula that looks like Italy, then back North and cross over the Thompson River up near the SC/NC border, and then there's trail options that go several ways in the Hickory Gap/Musterground Mountain area.

I think the same guy who did Gorges State Park video has a video of Musterground Mountain as well. I'll find that too.

Reactions: Sartorius

Thatsilver100

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Greensboro, NC, USA
First Name
Samuel
Last Name
Lankford
Member #

Anyway we can push this trip back a week or so? I will be heading out of town for a week starting the 27th of July and would love to make it

THorner

Rank V
Investor

Enthusiast III

Sharpsburg, NC, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Horner
Member #

I will also be out of town July 25-29, but I have no plans yet for the weekends of August 3-4 or 10-11.

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

Okay, we will plan for the weekend of August 3.

I sent an email to Gorges State Park, because I am pretty sure the trails on the SC side are closed the same way Horsepasture Rd is because of landslides. I don't want to plan a meetup and we get there and can't get on anything. I'm a little backed up at work for the next few days and have to go to a new project for work outside of Detroit (don't worry, a country boy will survive - plus I'm going to swap out my baby Glock with a compacted Colt 1911). But if someone get's time to check the maps with the US Forest Service for trail status for Musterground Road, Chestnut Mountain Road & Auger Hole Road and try to chart out a route - it would be a huge help. Once we know they are good-to-go I'll get a Rally Point started

JasKolp

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Idaho, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Kolp
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4TLR
Okay, we will plan for the weekend of August 3.

I sent an email to Gorges State Park, because I am pretty sure the trails on the SC side are closed the same way Horsepasture Rd is because of landslides. I don't want to plan a meetup and we get there and can't get on anything. I'm a little backed up at work for the next few days and have to go to a new project for work outside of Detroit (don't worry, a country boy will survive - plus I'm going to swap out my baby Glock with a compacted Colt 1911). But if someone get's time to check the maps with the US Forest Service for trail status for Musterground Road, Chestnut Mountain Road & Auger Hole Road and try to chart out a route - it would be a huge help. Once we know they are good-to-go I'll get a Rally Point started
Ooo! I'll be able to attend that weekend!