Launch Member

Contributor II

Charlotte, NC, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Meyers
Member #

Here is the current progress at 90% completion. Still need to grind down some parts on the swing then paint everything and build a custom axle back exhaust. We are going to be adding a stopper near the hinge so when on an incline the swing stays locked in position when open.

October 26th

Reactions: Gypsy049

Western

Rank V

Member II

Johns Creek, GA, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Bowman
Member #

I feel like we are friends on Facebook........ nice build, and it’s always good to see other Subarus on Overland bound! I will definitely be following. Check my build out as well!

nc_forester

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Charlotte, NC, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Meyers
Member #

2 weeks ago I had plans to go to the mountains since I hadnt done anything with this car in months but I ended up having to replace my steering rack and power steering pump. I was gonna use that money to get a 5th wheel but that'll be put on hold till probably January now.

Fast forward to this week and I have been working on re-wiring the Hellas up top. The harness that comes with the kit has a really thick sheathing so I wasnt able to keep it seated inside the rain channel on the windshield. Ended up taking the sheathing off and wrapping it in something thinner and more pliable. To keep the wires in the channel, I applied a sealant that so far is doing the job. The harness for the 2 outer lights runs up the driver side while the 2 middle ones goes up the passenger side.

Reactions: 805LX470

Naidu

Rank 0

Traveler I

New Jersey, USA
First Name
N
Last Name
G
Nice build journal, @nc_forester, especially the pics!

Have a question about the Sparco Terra wheels. I have been looking for a 17" set for my 2020 Forester, but couldn't find any information about how much they weigh -- do you know? Why did you swap them out for the KMCs? Never mind, I read through the full journal now, and noticed you went to 15 inchers and got the KMCs due to availability. They look awesome, btw!

I'm trying to decide between them and similar looking Motegi Racing MR139s (MR139 - Motegi Racing)

Thanks!

Last edited:

nm123

Rank 0

Contributor I

Boone, NC, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
This has been super awesome to follow. I'm several months late from the last update, but I have loved following along on this. It's great to see where you started and have ended up with your build. Gets me excited for whatever I buy, too.

I'm looking into buying a new (used/new to me) vehicle that I can daily and also take off-road. I've recently moved to Boone, and didn't even know I had trails nearby me until you mentioned a few. A friend of mine recently bought a '12 Touareg TDI that he wants to take off-road, meanwhile I'm still looking around. He used to have a '02 Xterra that he took just about anywhere available in/around Charlotte.

I want something fun to drive on pavement (I have a lead foot), with decent MPG, that I can take off-road some weekends. For perspective, I drive an '05 Civic coupe right now, and most of my driving is on 421, I-77, and I-40 -- visiting Charlotte and Wilmington; I hardly do any city driving. I have a 2020 8-foot bed Silverado I drive for work, and as much as I love it it's definitely bigger than what I'd want as a personal vehicle. I visited dealerships over the weekend and out of 27 cars I test drove I've narrowed it down to an Xterra, RAV4, Ford Edge, Patriot, or a Crosstrek. I still have 9 other vehicles I want to try though, I just didn't have a chance. The last vehicles I want to try are a Forester, Outback, Cherokee, RX 350, GX 460, A5, GMC Terrain, FJ, and Tiguan.

Love the photos and your thoughts on everything, though. Hope you get to enjoy some more this summer!

SnookSniper

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Seminole, FL, USA
First Name
Zach
Last Name
Herman
Member #

Love the bumpers, and how you even integrated the rear factory bumper cap. The vent holes in the front aluminum came out great. Very nice Foz!!