United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

For Sale

2016 Turtleback Trailers Expedition Model

The time has come for us to sell our beloved Turtleback as we upgrade to a new 2018 model. Our family has enjoyed some incredible adventures in this trailer over the past 2 years as many of you have seen on our YouTube Channel “Lifestyle Overland”. While we will be sad to see it go, we are excited to see this incredible adventure trailer go to its new owners and provide them many more adventures in the future.

This trailer will be on display at Overland Expo East in Ashville, North Carolina this weekend (9/29 – 10/1) at the Turtleback Trailers booth #73 and can be picked up at the venue on Sunday afternoon since it will be a display unit for the duration of the expo. Alternate delivery options can be discussed after the show is complete.

Asking Price: $19,995

For inquiries please contact: lifestyleoverland@gmail.com

Color: Stealth Green

• 3,500 lb Flexiride Rubber Torsion Axle

• 1,650 lb Dry Weight (Approx. 2,250 Fully Loaded with Water and Gear)

• 6 on 5.5 Hubs (Toyota Pattern) with 10” Electric Brakes

• 285/70R16 BFG KO2 Tires (Brand New) with Full-Size Spare

• Pro Comp Gloss Black Wheels (Brand New)

• Fully Bed-Lined Chassis (Inyati Liner)

• 50 Cubic Feet of Storage

• Single Deka Deep Cycle AGM Battery

• Sunforce Solar Controller

• 1600 Watt Inverter

• 6 Amp, 5 Stage Battery Charger (Shore Power)

• LED Lighting

• 12V Plug and Dual USB Ports In Main Storage Area

• 12V Plug and Dual USB Ports at Kitchen

• Blue Sea Battery Disconnect

• Blue Sea 6 Position Fuse Block

• 42 Gallon Potable Water Tank

• On-Demand 12V Water Pump

• 6 Gallon Water Heater

• On-Board Shower with 10’ Stainless Steel Hose

• Slide-Out Rear Kitching with Atwood Dual Burner Stove

• 11lb On-Board System Propane Tank

• Baltic Birch Cabinetry Throughout

• Swing-Out Rear Tailgate with Dual Rotopax Mounts

• Spare Tire Mount with Full Size Spare

• Fold Down Stainless Steel Prep Table

• Slide Out Upper Pantry with Adjustable Dividers

• Utensil Drawers Below Sink and Stove

• All Skins and Components are Powder Coated

Included Accessories:

• 23 Zero Sydney Roof Top Tent (Includes Annex)

• 2 – Rotopax Deluxe Mounts

• 2 – 4 Gallon Rotopax

• Foxwing Awning with Stainless Steel Adjustable Height Brackets

• Additional 5lb Accessory Tank and Stainless Bracket

• Max Coupler

• Spare Spindle

• P3 90 Watt Rollable Solar Panel

• Receiver Plug

• Rear Stabilizer Jack

Last edited:

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

That was quick... SOLD!

Congrats to the new owners! Wishing you epic and safe travels!

Now... to build Lifestyle Overland Turtleback 2.0 Got some fun prototype "testing" ahead of us

ColoradoRick

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Central Coast CA
Member #

As a complete neophyte to the TB brand, I am curious as to what you get going to the newest model over this beauty here?
Thanks for your time.
--
Rick

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

As a complete neophyte to the TB brand, I am curious as to what you get going to the newest model over this beauty here?
Thanks for your time.
--
Rick
  • We have a new aluminum decking system which reduces weight and looks pretty slick with its 5-bar pattern step plates.
  • Compression style latches instead of the traditional t-handle utility latches to improve door sealing and looks.
  • Heavy duty bolt-on hinges to replace the older piano style which improves the durability and opens easier when coated in mud or dust.
  • Larger side boxes that are now full-height of the trailer with a slick beveled top.
  • Relocated side LEDs for better visibility.
  • Bolt-on fenders aluminum instead of weld-on steel for easier replacement and weight savings.
  • Zinc base external powder coating with super-durable black powder for enhanced rust prevention.
  • Fully hot-dipped galvanized frame will continue with Inyati bedliner for aesthetics.
  • Dual slide-out pantries instead of one.
  • Dual flip-down stainless tables instead of one.
  • A few more surprises... pending "prototype testing" ;)

ColoradoRick

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Central Coast CA
Member #

• We have a new aluminum decking system which reduces weight and looks pretty slick with its 5-bar pattern step plates.
  • Compression style latches instead of the traditional t-handle utility latches to improve door sealing and looks.
  • Heavy duty bolt-on hinges to replace the older piano style which improves the durability and opens easier when coated in mud or dust.
  • Larger side boxes that are now full-height of the trailer with a slick beveled top.
  • Relocated side LEDs for better visibility.
  • Bolt-on fenders aluminum instead of weld-on steel for easier replacement and weight savings.
  • Zinc base external powder coating with super-durable black powder for enhanced rust prevention.
  • Fully hot-dipped galvanized frame will continue with Inyati bedliner for aesthetics.
  • Dual slide-out pantries instead of one.
  • Dual flip-down stainless tables instead of one.
  • A few more surprises... pending "prototype testing" ;)
That is quite a list and sounds impressive. I went to their website and to be honest I never would have got any of that from there, least at a quick once over. So it sounds like it is cutting some weight. I would really like to see some pictures of this new config. A few months back, I attended Expo West with my brother and the guys who took the time to show us their TB setups were great and my kind of people. I took a few pics and when I got home shared the find, one thing my wife said when I showed her was that TB setup looked heavy, and blocky... her words, though I somewhat agree... it certainly is within the top 3 of my list.

Thanks for taking time to answer.
--
Rick

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

That is quite a list and sounds impressive. I went to their website and to be honest I never would have got any of that from there, least at a quick once over. So it sounds like it is cutting some weight. I would really like to see some pictures of this new config. A few months back, I attended Expo West with my brother and the guys who took the time to show us their TB setups were great and my kind of people. I took a few pics and when I got home shared the find, one thing my wife said when I showed her was that TB setup looked heavy, and blocky... her words, though I somewhat agree... it certainly is within the top 3 of my list.

Thanks for taking time to answer.
--
Rick
We are in the process of updating our website with the new model information and tweaking the layout to make the specifications a bit more clear.

I was actually working the Expo West booth area also, so we may have spoken. Glad you enjoyed the show.

As to the weight, our trailers are currently 1,700 lbs empty and about 2,300 lbs fully loaded with large tent, full gear, and 42 gallons of water. The new side box design and some upcoming tweaks will make it look a bit more sleek, though it truly is lightweight (and getting lighter).

If you don't mind my asking, what other models are you considering?

ColoradoRick

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Central Coast CA
Member #

We are in the process of updating our website with the new model information and tweaking the layout to make the specifications a bit more clear.

I was actually working the Expo West booth area also, so we may have spoken. Glad you enjoyed the show.

As to the weight, our trailers are currently 1,700 lbs empty and about 2,300 lbs fully loaded with large tent, full gear, and 42 gallons of water. The new side box design and some upcoming tweaks will make it look a bit more sleek, though it truly is lightweight (and getting lighter).

If you don't mind my asking, what other models are you considering?
Yeah, could well have been you. The guys that gave us the overview were I believe 3 owners with their TBs on a cement pad just between your setup and the expedition vans. Cool guys, ex-military and happy to share.
Well I have been all over the board in my search for something doable and scaled to what we will actually be able to park in a golf cart garage when at home and tow behind an FJ without completely bogging it down. Pretty gutless but capable.
SO.... We like your TB, the Aussie teams Patriot and for a more utilitarian need, the x-venture x3. My wife just loves the teardrop, especially the little one from OregonTrailer Do-Drop. They all have their appeal but I can tell you what gives us pause is the rooftop setup. Ladders in the night are not our thing. The Patriot side stair type ladder in the X1 at the show could solve some of that trepidation, but it is not inexpensive and it has a pull over tent which is interesting but putting it all back together when it is time to go would be a solo event for me which is a bit of a deterrent.
I think if I had pneumatic lifters on something like the x3 I could raise it to suit a custom ladder inside of a walled area for sleeping, or access to a hardtop style. just lower to the ground.
Currently I have an OzTent that we use with the wall attached and with stretchers... so maybe we don't need to be in the air, but the walled in access to a off the ground seems cleaner day in and out; We also really like the design of the SA Conqueror, but it the color scheme is a bit much for us, I have read conversations from folks speaking about build quality not being what yours seems to be, but I personally don't know.
All of this is of course coming at a cost so I need to think it through or it will be like half of the stuff I have bought that I thought that I needed and ends up just sitting there because of some hassle factor.
lol.. sorry... but you asked.
--
Rick

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

_DSC0600.jpg
Yeah, could well have been you. The guys that gave us the overview were I believe 3 owners with their TBs on a cement pad just between your setup and the expedition vans. Cool guys, ex-military and happy to share.
Well I have been all over the board in my search for something doable and scaled to what we will actually be able to park in a golf cart garage when at home and tow behind an FJ without completely bogging it down. Pretty gutless but capable.
SO.... We like your TB, the Aussie teams Patriot and for a more utilitarian need, the x-venture x3. My wife just loves the teardrop, especially the little one from OregonTrailer Do-Drop. They all have their appeal but I can tell you what gives us pause is the rooftop setup. Ladders in the night are not our thing. The Patriot side stair type ladder in the X1 at the show could solve some of that trepidation, but it is not inexpensive and it has a pull over tent which is interesting but putting it all back together when it is time to go would be a solo event for me which is a bit of a deterrent.
I think if I had pneumatic lifters on something like the x3 I could raise it to suit a custom ladder inside of a walled area for sleeping, or access to a hardtop style. just lower to the ground.
Currently I have an OzTent that we use with the wall attached and with stretchers... so maybe we don't need to be in the air, but the walled in access to a off the ground seems cleaner day in and out; We also really like the design of the SA Conqueror, but it the color scheme is a bit much for us, I have read conversations from folks speaking about build quality not being what yours seems to be, but I personally don't know.
All of this is of course coming at a cost so I need to think it through or it will be like half of the stuff I have bought that I thought that I needed and ends up just sitting there because of some hassle factor.
lol.. sorry... but you asked.
--
Rick
Totally understand, everyone has different needs and preferences and sometimes it's hard finding a product that matches them all perfectly.

The roof top tent ladder concern is one we hear fairly often and have since developed a tent trailer that offers a lower bed platform with a huge cabin style tent. It's more utilitarian, not having the on-board amenities of its bigger brother, but we have developed a slide out kitchen and electronics packages that helps bridge the gap. At 1,100 lbs and 55 inches tall, it will tow great behind just about anything. It's also about $10k less than the Expedition. If you want to shoot me an email (kevin@turtlebacktrailers.com) I'll hook you up with some additional info.

Here's a picture of the "Getaway" all set up:

Attachments