• HTML tutorial

livingthedreamoverland

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Plano, TX
Member #

0W3A0273.JPG 0W3A0273.JPG 0W3A0282.JPG 0W3A0209.JPG
Ok HOW did you get this pic? Ive tried dozens of times to no avail. I have a nikon p900 and a sony 4K video cam whats the secret here? new camera?
Hey @RichieFromBoston sorry about the delayed response I have been exploring the San Juan Mts from Ouray to Durango this last week. What a time this was. To better explain how I shoot the milky way there are certain things to take note while trying to get the milky way to expose herself.

1st - Finding a nice dark place with little to no light pollution DarkSitefinder.com has a really good map to seek-out locations Big Bend TX is about as dark as it gets.
2nd - Moon cycle New moon is the best b/c little to no light pollution but not necessary Full moon is really hard with the extra light in the sky
3rd - Finding out what time the milky way is visible in your location. Stellarium is a planetarium software that shows exactly what you see when you look up at the stars. It's easy to use, and free if you go to stellarium.org

After all these 3 things have been researched Camera settings are as followed on my camera equipment.

Use a Tripod and Wide angle lens on camera that has a (Low F-stop 1.4 thru 2.8) My lens I use is the Tamaron 15-30mm F2.8 with a Canon 7D Mark II

My camera settings are as followed below:

F2.8
30" second exposure
ISO 1600-5000 depending on how bright I want the picture to look.

The hardest thing about astrophotography is getting the stars to look sharp but with practice and patience anyone can do it.

Please feel free to reach back out to me if you have any other questions. I will try and post a Milky way shot or 2 from my trip to the San Juan National Forest Colorado this last weekend for reference.

Last edited: