National Park Tour (Video Edit of the Summer Trip added)

• HTML tutorial

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I hate to steer anyone away from any National Parks, but you need to know what to expect at Yellowstone. It is going to be crazy busy, stop and go, no parking, huge crowds, etc.
I went before COVID and I was very disappointed and will not go back.
Too many stupid people that don’t care about others, they just stop in the middle of the road and block traffic. There were hundreds of rented RVs driven by people who have never driven one. It’s crazy and frustrating.
On a positive note, Zion is spectacular and worth doing. I would enter from the south end prior 8am. You will have no crowds or traffic. If you enter from the north end, be prepared for a lot of traffic. Either way, it’s worth doing.
Personally I would go to Glacier NP over Yellowstone, nicer park and fewer people. Glacier is hands down better.
I am half in, and half out of this camp. I went this past May, last month, just before labor day. Although May is not the busiest month, it turned out to be the busiest May on record. Yes there was traffic. Yes there were a lot of people. But you shouldn't be just trying to whip through. Take your time. Understand that many people there have never been there. Never seen a Bison. Never seen a chromatic pool, and so on. So they stop hard when they see one from the road.

So, yake your time, give the vehicle in front of you some space, like you would a motorcycle.

Having said that, I'm sure @oldmopars is correct. Right about now it must be packed. A nightmare of traffic. Maybe look at Gallatin and Big Sky. Not too far and also gorgeous

Reactions: Road

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

I hate to steer anyone away from any National Parks, but you need to know what to expect at Yellowstone. It is going to be crazy busy, stop and go, no parking, huge crowds, etc.
I went before COVID and I was very disappointed and will not go back.
Too many stupid people that don’t care about others, they just stop in the middle of the road and block traffic. There were hundreds of rented RVs driven by people who have never driven one. It’s crazy and frustrating.
On a positive note, Zion is spectacular and worth doing. I would enter from the south end prior 8am. You will have no crowds or traffic. If you enter from the north end, be prepared for a lot of traffic. Either way, it’s worth doing.
Personally I would go to Glacier NP over Yellowstone, nicer park and fewer people. Glacier is hands down better.
If you put Glacier over Yellowstone, you must have had a terrible experience there! It's been many years since we've been to Yellowstone, yet if you hang around the Lodge.. Ya it gets crazy busy! We did a bunch of back-country hikes and found it most enjoyable. If you're lucky enough to meet some geyser-sitters, you may catch an opertunity of a lifetime and see a rare one go of! We did meet and we did see!
Haven't been there in years, yet figure it's all about how you do it..

MrFindell

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Omaha, Nebraska
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Findell
Member #

Alright, thanks again for all your feedback and suggestions, everyone. We just finished a few revisions of the trip. We moved Yellowstone up to the first part of the trip and took out Moab for another trip which makes us go way out of the way but it works better with our time off schedule knowing we will need to be in California for remote working the second half of the trip. I broke the trip into two portions so Google would let me map it with highway 1.

Rough estimate on timing...
July 15-18 Denver
July 18-21 Yellowstone
July 21- SLC
July 22-25 Zion
July 25-28 Joshua Tree
July 28-29 San Diego
July 29-30 LA
July 31-1 Big Sur
August 1-5 San Fransico
August 5-7 Eureka/Redwoods
August 8-0 Portland
August 10-12 Seattle
August 13 Boise
August 14 Casper
August 15-18 Niobrara/RockyFord
August 19 Omaha.

Leg01.png
Leg02.png

Overall it looks like this... (google simplified it)
Stops.png
FullRoute_MinusHighway1.png

socal66

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Covina, CA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Sampson
Member #

Joshua Tree will be over 100 degrees this weekend. It will likely be hotter late July. You might consider trying to work the north rim of the Grand Canyon instead during that week or something else at altitude near your route.

Reactions: Road

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Hey friends!

My gf and I are working out details for a month-long trip. 7/14 to 8/18 and thought I'd run this through the group here on suggestions or potential offshoots.

We're taking the first two weeks off then will have to be working remote and driving evenings/weekends the second half.

We figured we would camp maybe half of the time and split Airbnb and friends places the other half.
I attached some route photos and the rig.

Mostly we will find designated camping spots but I still need to dive into the apps to find some light off-road spots we could get to. The truck so far is still stock wheels, tires, suspension. So can't do anything crazy yet. Would love to hear from anyone on places we could offshoot to for some good forest service spots to camp.
Has anyone done anything like this and have any suggestions or just good general advice?
Again, not really an off-road trip more of a parks and beaches kind of trip.

Thanks ahead for any input

Technically Omaha, Nebraska before and after but Google only allows 10 stops.
Hey man - having been to all those places on various adventures over the years (except Niobrara/RockyFord), and many of them more than once, I have to say go for it!

Though be completely prepared to adjust, accommodate, and eliminate more than one destination while en route. Seriously. Figure your top three to five destinations and work around those. I agree with @socal66 that it is an ambitious trip to undertake for the time allotted.

My biggest piece of advice to adventurers when you have a whole wonderful time like five weeks (way more than most do when exploring the USA), is not about where to go, but about how to do it:

BE FLEXIBLE: Accept opportunities as they arise, both in personal interest and to meet locals and go to hidden spots "only locals" go to. Swimming holes, hiking trails, cliff dwellings, off-the-beaten-path food joints, etc. Dawdle where you find cool, interesting things to explore, and to hell with itinerary. Local museums of history, art and culture; regional foods, and again, chat up the locals.

What are you interested in learning and experiencing?

For me, that's what adventuring is about. It makes it a real adventure; not just a tourist outing. It will be far more memorable and with longer-lasting friendships than you can imagine.

===============================================================

The TLDR; version is above. The background why I advise what I have is below.
I have a habit lately--especially during the Big Pause of 20-21--of going on at length on adventure forums about wandering a continent. I miss it.

I've done a miner's ton of adventuring. I'm usually more on the road than not in any given year; going back literally decades.

Though I grew up camping and adventuring all over Europe as a kid with family, my first time doing something on my own like you're undertaking across a continent was in a VW bug in the early 70s. Me and a good pal were gone nine weeks. He just reminded me recently when he said: "You know our trip out west was fifty years ago?"

We left the Ohio River Valley with no real plan other than to explore the USA.

We slept on the banks of the Mississippi with tug boats chugging on one side and train horns on the other, all night. I felt like I was Carl Sandburg or Mark Twain, experiencing America for the first time. We worked at the North Rim Lodge at the Grand Canyon a couple weeks as they closed for the season and were given a cabin on the canyon edge to stay in. Then we hiked all the way down and across the Colorado River and and up the other side of the GC when we were done, to the South Rim.

We spent the night on Stinson Beach north of San Fran when we got to California. We camped on Iowa prairies where, for the first time, I sensed the curvature of the earth as sunsets completely circled us in a 360º cantaloupe horizon which deepened into an overhead dome of ever-darkening inky colors and a spectacular sky full of more stars than we'd ever seen. So vast and so round; we were encircled by it all. We visited historic Native American sites across America and urban parks in happening cities in the best music age in America, and SO much more.

We met tons of folks along the way who realized we were long-term travelers, not tourists; so pointed us to an amazing wealth of locals-only knowledge. They invited us into their homes for overnights and cookouts and next day hikes. We heard stories about how they'd made ladders on site back-country of Pinyon Pine to explore cliff-dwellings and found Maize and grain in hand-woven baskets never before seen by a white man.

I could easily go on at length about all points in between.

Every adventure I've undertaken since then, based first on my experiences as a kid exploring and car camping with fam--camping in the willy-wacks along wild streams and in deep forests all over Europe with a two-room canvas tent strapped to the top of our Chevy wagon, then solo-hitch-hiking in my early teens and extended trips with a buddy across the USA as described above and canoe trips into Canada, has formed my preferred mode of adventuring ever since.

It's evolved further over extended adventures to slowing down, appreciating where I am, and knowing it will all still be out there when I get out adventuring again.

Going on extended adventures is not normal life for most folks. I used to say to my girlfriend--who went up to Nova Scotia and PEI with me on a long trip--about my '69 Chevy Carryall we were traveling in: "It's not a house, it's a home!"

The other big piece of advice for adventurers, especially if you haven't done a long trip before is:

Scaling down from a house to a home in a vehicle will have it's ups and downs. You can count on it.

There will be--trust me--a two-week thing that happens after embarking on your adventure, and at different times for each of you. You'll wonder "What the holy fuck were we thinking? This weather sucks. I miss my bed. We have no cell coverage! Can we go into town, my folks are gonna be worried! I'm tired of having to look for things. Why does setting up/tearing down take so long? We need to re-arrange everything. Where the hell is the _______? Honey please, can you just____?"

The solution on long adventures? In my experience, it is to stick it out and get past it. I know folks who've bagged it at two weeks. Know that the homesick blues are bound to happen in varying degrees, and that they will pass.

You'll wake up the morning after a day--or days--bitching at each other or yourself about this or that and go "Holy shit, this is frikkin' amazing! Did you see that? I have never seen anything like this!" and you will find a new embrace for adventuring and be glad you stuck it out.

Slow down; embrace the adventure; and know you're making memories that will last the rest of your life.

It's easy, really, if you let it happen.

I look forward to your trip reports and all you've seen and understood. I'm envious that you both get to experience the places you're going to for the first time.

~ Road

Last edited:

MrFindell

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Omaha, Nebraska
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Findell
Member #

Hey everyone! I wanted to follow up and share an edit I put together of our big road trip. (It's more of a trailer-style recap of the trip as I'm still working on the larger content edit.) But we did a little over 5000 miles in total in about 5 weeks. Nebraska, Colorado, Utah, Nevada, California, Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming and back home. We camped using the iKamper on a 2021 Tacoma in mostly dispersed campsites on forest service/BLM lands, regular camp groups in national parks, and a few parking lots up highway one. Can't wait for our next one.

Have a watch here:
Instagram: @MrFundell_

DrewKD

Rank V

Influencer II

Pasadena CA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Dancel
Member #

Cool vid. Looks like a good time. 5 weeks is a long road trip. Glad to see you ate In N Out while in Cali. There are so many good NP's in California. You can spend 2 weeks easily just visiting them all

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
Hey everyone! I wanted to follow up and share an edit I put together of our big road trip. (It's more of a trailer-style recap of the trip as I'm still working on the larger content edit.) But we did a little over 5000 miles in total in about 5 weeks. Nebraska, Colorado, Utah, Nevada, California, Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming and back home. We camped using the iKamper on a 2021 Tacoma in mostly dispersed campsites on forest service/BLM lands, regular camp groups in national parks, and a few parking lots up highway one. Can't wait for our next one.

Have a watch here:
Instagram: @MrFundell_
Looks like you went through my back yard doing a bit of wine tasting. Looked like a sweet trip.