Nathaniel

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Nashville, TN
First Name
Nathaniel
Last Name
K
I'm the stock 4runner guy mentioned above. Looks like you have a 5th gen as well. You will be impressed with what your rig is capable of doing stock.

Welcome to the forum!

Reactions: Cdw4n

Colt Mansfield

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Colt
Last Name
Mansfield
Member #

I like the sound of that! As I said I am pretty new and definitely not looking to ruin my new 4Runner, but, at the same time I got it to have some fun so going out with some people that now what they are doing and can help recover me when I inevitably get stuck would be great!
On that note, make sure to have some sort of recovery point. We don't want to rip off your bumper trying to use the factor tie-down points if it comes to it.

If you have a trailer hitch, at least pick up a hitch-mounted shackle. I know Northern Tool in Madison has them locally. 4 Wheel Parts on Nolensville is likely to also.
33454_2000x2000.jpg

Reactions: Cdw4n

Cdw4n

Rank 0

Contributor I

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
W
On that note, make sure to have some sort of recovery point. We don't want to rip off your bumper trying to use the factor tie-down points if it comes to it.

If you have a trailer hitch, at least pick up a hitch-mounted shackle. I know Northern Tool in Madison has them locally. 4 Wheel Parts on Nolensville is likely to also.
View attachment 146459
I was looking at getting a kinetic rope and some soft shackles just to have in the 4Runner if it is ever needed.

I have heard/read different things on using the factory recovery points. Some people say they can take anything and others have the same view as you. I will probably get something like this as well to be safe. Eventually I will get a new low pro bumper with a winch and recovery points. But, have to save up for that first.

Reactions: Hank Outdoors

eloist

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Nashville
Nah man, don't use the factory points. Those are not recovery points, they are lash down straps for shipping across the ocean on a boat, or on a train car. They'll break, and other stuff will break when they break, and then you'll still be stuck.

I'd say a super-a%% basic recovery kit should include:
Two shackles, a tree saver strap, a tow rope (kinetic or not), a pair of gloves, and a shovel.

Cdw4n

Rank 0

Contributor I

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
W
So hit up some of the Dirt Devil trail today, it was pretty fun! We didn’t do all of it just the start and first portion of the loop. I would agree that 98% of the roads and water crossings are do-able with a stock vehicle and may not even need 4x4. I would say that Ben Fly Road, however, you probably need something that has a little more height to it. I made it through going down to the river with my stock 4Runner, although I scraped once and had to get creative with my line going down. There is a spot in the middle of the road with a foot to foot and a half drop (probably wear down from use) that I had to work around. For someone experienced I would guess it is no big deal, but, it was a fun challenge. My picture doesn’t quite show it well but right in front of the driver side tire is the drop.

CE8A0B39-B1B4-4030-B6DE-EFE60A1A4899.jpeg

Other than that bit, the water crossings were fun and it was a good day. I did learn a valuable lesson that is probably a no brained to most. If you are driving on a dirt road, roll up your windows!

NashvilleKara

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Kara
Last Name
Stephens
Member #

That's awesome that you got to do that today! That is a lesson for me to see with my own eyes versus rumors. May be I hit that up tomorrow. May be I'll catch some of y'all out there? *wink wink, nudge nudge*

Cdw4n

Rank 0

Contributor I

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
W
That's awesome that you got to do that today! That is a lesson for me to see with my own eyes versus rumors. May be I hit that up tomorrow. May be I'll catch some of y'all out there? *wink wink, nudge nudge*
I should have mentioned as well that there is a bridge that is out on the route as well.It is located here.

E468BB94-231D-4FE0-ADBC-1444440D2A05.jpeg
FF60B8DF-7EB5-4D82-A053-F735B4E25287.jpeg

You can get around it by heading North to West Lick Creek Road, then Edward Branch, to Locust Fork, to Warf Rd. Then you are back on the route.

Colt Mansfield

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Colt
Last Name
Mansfield
Member #

I’d advise against it these days. Sadly, large groups going out there and driving in the creeks (not just across then at the proper points) and driving on private land has made enemies of the locals. They have trail cams up and local authorities have agreed to prosecute trespassers...even for tiny infractions.

Cdw4n

Rank 0

Contributor I

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
W
I’d advise against it these days. Sadly, large groups going out there and driving in the creeks (not just across then at the proper points) and driving on private land has made enemies of the locals. They have trail cams up and local authorities have agreed to prosecute trespassers...even for tiny infractions.
Well that is good to know for sure, I will say the few locals I came across were very friendly, some even offering some advice. That being said, I was also following the roads and trails. But, I could see how people would be annoyed at others going through and not respecting the area or land.

Reactions: NashvilleKara

Nathaniel

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Nashville, TN
First Name
Nathaniel
Last Name
K
I feel for the communities out there and would not advocate going for a group ride on the dirt devil. It's been a while since I have been out there but there wasn't really any ambiguity on what was OK to drive on.

Unfortunately common sense and respect for others is in short supply these days.

NashvilleKara

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Kara
Last Name
Stephens
Member #

Just go to windrock, they have 300 miles of trails covering a large area, great camping. Adventure off road park is great also but much smaller footprint.
Their Instagram account said the camping was closed until April 16th. That was posted 3/22/2020. The General Store and camping parts are closed, but the security checkpoints and trails are still open. TN State parks are still open as of right now.