Nashville, Tennessee

• HTML tutorial

bval

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

Nashville, TN
Member #

Can't speak to interference as that often depends on how you have them wired in for power and antenna placement. Keep in mind that each radio you add needs it's own antenna. That can get out of hand quickly.

FWIW I just use one of these for my convoy communications. They work great and having a pair I can lend one out when I bring a buddy on a trip who doesn't have one. This way I only have to mount the CB antenna permanently. The fact that they charge over USB is a big plus for me as I've tried to standardize as much of my gear as possible on USB power so I can carry fewer chargers/cables.

Hope this helps,

Brandon

EisenYota

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kingston Springs TN
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Eisenmenger
Member #

I was always reminded when I was in the Corps that communication is key. Knowing this, convoy comm is key to keep everyone in the loop of what's going on. Having a rig with amplified signal is wonderful for emergency reasons. Its been yrs since I played in the desert but I remember having a ton of comm issues when we got into rough terrain. I can't remember if our radios were line of sight but I will say a simple flare speaks volumes lol.
Color coordinated of course.
Side note. We didn't have sat radios like the Army... We rocked war their ROTC didn't want,Old school shit lol.
Semper Fi

Sent from my VS988 using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: bval

Merlin2111

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bellevue
Member #

I was always reminded when I was in the Corps that communication is key. Knowing this, convoy comm is key to keep everyone in the loop of what's going on. Having a rig with amplified signal is wonderful for emergency reasons. Its been yrs since I played in the desert but I remember having a ton of comm issues when we got into rough terrain. I can't remember if our radios were line of sight but I will say a simple flare speaks volumes lol.
Color coordinated of course.
Side note. We didn't have sat radios like the Army... We rocked war their ROTC didn't want,Old school shit lol.
Semper Fi

Okay, so flares it is. Next time on the dirt devil I will shoot a red for left turn and a yellow for right turn. I think orange for water crossings and maybe 2 reds for photos ops. jk but if we do it around the 4th we may be a hit.

Merlin2111

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bellevue
Member #

Can't speak to interference as that often depends on how you have them wired in for power and antenna placement. Keep in mind that each radio you add needs it's own antenna. That can get out of hand quickly.

FWIW I just use one of these for my convoy communications. They work great and having a pair I can lend one out when I bring a buddy on a trip who doesn't have one. This way I only have to mount the CB antenna permanently. The fact that they charge over USB is a big plus for me as I've tried to standardize as much of my gear as possible on USB power so I can carry fewer chargers/cables.

Hope this helps,

Brandon
This is why I was leaning towards a hard-wired GMRS solution. I can have the main rig and then a set of handhelds to hand out if needed. These could also be used for on-site comms for people who like to wander a little after a camp site is setup.

EisenYota

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kingston Springs TN
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Eisenmenger
Member #

Last comment on the issue from this guy. we will be traveling in very hilly terrain (its our region unless we go west), I am not a comm tech by any means however it would be a good idea for everyone in a convoy to have comm. Should their be somone with the ability to reach out 25 miles plus, absolutely. I am out of touch with this so I will sign off and happily read what y'all come up with.
Don't forget , a first aid kit is up there with communication. When's the last time anyone has taken a CPR class? Shit happens, best to be prepared.
Out [emoji12]

TNDeadHead

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Columbia, Tennessee
Member #

Last comment on the issue from this guy. we will be traveling in very hilly terrain (its our region unless we go west), I am not a comm tech by any means however it would be a good idea for everyone in a convoy to have comm. Should their be somone with the ability to reach out 25 miles plus, absolutely. I am out of touch with this so I will sign off and happily read what y'all come up with.
Don't forget , a first aid kit is up there with communication. When's the last time anyone has taken a CPR class? Shit happens, best to be prepared.
Out [emoji12]

As far as comms go I'm ignorant but I keep a kit and up to date on CPR. Being a murse I has its benefits lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: EisenYota

hjason.hay

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

US
I had a good conversation with @bval about this very topic. He has more experience with overlanding than most of us and he claims that simple 2 way radio work best for trail rides. Is it a good idea to have a more powerful communication set up in a rig? Of course, but I only see that being utilized as an emergency communication line. HAM might be a little overkill, unless we find our self in a Red Dawn situation. Wolverines!!!

HAM is the best option because you have so many choices and can learn how systems work. CB or FRS are very simple and cod be used by anyone.

I run ham but carry a cb for an alternate.

Sent from my SM-N950U using OB Talk mobile app

Jose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Peoria, AZ
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Sup fellas!!! Don’t know what happens to my OB but it wasn’t updating. Just catching up now to the threads lol. Welcome to all the new OB members!![emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk