Nashville, Tennessee

• HTML tutorial

Tyler.W

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Spring Hill, TN
Member #

I would love the GPX file. Also, what were you using to record that?

I would love to build a better map of the area with some hot spots to ID the more challenging areas, water crossings, etc. I know I want to bring some friends out there but for my buddies, I would want the fun stuff and the parents would like the mundane forest bits (no one likes the pavement parts).

It was a good time and I am excited to explore more areas with you guys!
I use the Gaia GPS app. I recorded the track and then added the remainder of the highlighted section that we missed. There is one small circuit that we missed up towards the first highway crossing we did near the skull and crossbones on the map. I'd be down to go again sometime and log some of the points of interest and things with waypoints.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using OB Talk mobile app

Tyler.W

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Spring Hill, TN
Member #

I believe it is currently a one time purchase on the Google Play store for $20 but they are transferring to a yearly subscription (already is one on iPhones) for I believe $10 a year. It's a great app for hiking and 4x4!

You should be able to download the tracks directly from that link I sent through. If you can't I can send you the files. You could also download those files and load them into Caltopo (free mapping website) where you can print some maps with the route on it!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using OB Talk mobile app

Merlin2111

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bellevue
Member #

I had heard that one of the mapping apps was going subscription and that they were going to stop updating the one time purchase folks but I am not sure if that was the same one. I may have to try it out. I have some Google money fro surveys that will expire soon.

Tyler.W

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Spring Hill, TN
Member #

Tyler does the Gaia work well with spotty cell service?

Sent from my SM-G955U using OB Talk mobile app
Yes it does. It allows you to download areas to your local phone storage so it can still track and show the map even in areas with no cell service.
I had heard that one of the mapping apps was going subscription and that they were going to stop updating the one time purchase folks but I am not sure if that was the same one. I may have to try it out. I have some Google money fro surveys that will expire soon.
That is likely Gaia that you heard about, but I know on my old iPhone they updated to the new subscription version and gave all owners of the original app two free years. I'm hoping they will do the same for the Android users.

EisenYota

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kingston Springs TN
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Eisenmenger
Member #

Merlin, those pics are great.
I am not certain of anyplace as close as the DD. Could be very wrong though.

Merlin2111

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bellevue
Member #

I have heard that some of the WMA areas have trails but I have not gone out to any myself. I put together a thread with more trails in Middle TN but none are as close as the DD, at least to Nashville.

Merlin2111

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bellevue
Member #

If you get onto Google Earth and just click around you may find something in your area. I have found a couple little areas near me but nothing worth getting people together for.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Well, the bad news is that I won't be coming to Nashville. I am bummed. On the bright side, I got a contract in Rochester, NY for almost $70k more.

I still want to come down and explore, maybe in 6 months or so.

Merlin2111

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bellevue
Member #

Does anyone have any plans for changes to their trucks? I know some areas do install days where people get together to help each other wrench. Steel bumpers are heavy and an extra hand on a suspension install is always appreciated. With a baby on the way my upcoming mod list took a beating but I would be happy to help someone else out.

TNDeadHead

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Columbia, Tennessee
Member #

Does anyone have any plans for changes to their trucks? I know some areas do install days where people get together to help each other wrench. Steel bumpers are heavy and an extra hand on a suspension install is always appreciated. With a baby on the way my upcoming mod list took a beating but I would be happy to help someone else out.
I have a couple of items I need to put on my jeep that I have been putting off. I also talked to Climber about putting a small lift on his 4runner soon too. He thinks he is going to pay me but that isn't going to happen. When you thinkin Adam?

Sent from my SM-G955U using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: FiveOneFiveEight