AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Hopefully this thread will get really long. I'm hitting the road soon for a long trip and while I don't expect folks to list their "secret spots" we all know places that are great but maybe less known to those from out of state.

Since I live in AZ:

1. The North Rim of the Grand Canyon
This takes prior planning or luck of the draw to secure the proper permit but you can camp right on the edge and your pretty have the Grand Canyon to yourselves. It's worth the effort and drive.

2. Mogollon Rim - Near Payson, AZ
Find a great spot on the edge of the rim and you can just stare for days at the views. The best spots get taken early. Most are off FR 300

3. El Camino Del Diablo
Again it requires a permit and the right time of year but you will get to see a great part of southern AZ. It's also one of the "famous" overland routes in the US.

Runner up: Anything in the desert. We have some of the best sunsets and moon rises in the world. There are some great spots just east of the Phoenix area for starters.

E

expeditionnorth

1. Bingo Brook in the Green Mountain national Forest (GMNF) near Rochester VT, free sites for up to 14 days by the rivers edge
2. moosalamoo campground, moosalamoo national recreation area $10 per night per site
3. big Brook branch in the middle section of the GMNF, lots of primitive sites

Reactions: 1Louder

Adventureswithlaylay

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Van nuys
Member #

1. Springhill along the kern river. Beautiful non developed location. Just drive up and your 15 feet away from the rivers edge.

2. Lake isabella. Vans and cars usually stay around the campsite. All 4x4 vehicles have access to the lake. Just pull up and it's your own private beach.

3. Mojave desert. We call it the shooting hole. Nice spots in the mojave desert to just set up camp and shoot the night away under the stars. So many fun trails and things to explore.

Gunnermoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Mesa, Arizona
Member #

Since I live in AZ:

3. El Camino Del Diablo
Not fair, you took mine. Mine are in a different order.

1. Christmas Pass (ECDD).
2. Fire Point (North Rim).
3. Anywhere on the edge of Mogollon Rim. Need a ledge photo. Although west-side of Sycamore Canyon is a close tie.

Reactions: TN_4Runner

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Not fair, you took mine. Mine are in a different order.

3. Anywhere on the edge of Mogollon Rim. Need a ledge photo. Although west-side of Sycamore Canyon is a close tie.
Yes, I was tempted to make that my 3rd choice. Longer drive from the valley but also less people.

E

expeditionnorth

How about adding what state these are in, as some members don't have that info in their profile or signature.
You would think that info would show next to our avatars ?

thompsongtx

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Evansville, Indiana
First Name
Darren
Last Name
Thompson
Service Branch
US Navy
Hopefully this thread will get really long. I'm hitting the road soon for a long trip and while I don't expect folks to list their "secret spots" we all know places that are great but maybe less known to those from out of state.

Since I live in AZ:

This takes prior planning or luck of the draw to secure the proper permit but you can camp right on the edge and your pretty have the Grand Canyon to yourselves. It's worth the effort and drive.

Find a great spot on the edge of the rim and you can just stare for days at the views. The best spots get taken early. Most are off FR 300

3. El Camino Del Diablo
Again it requires a permit and the right time of year but you will get to see a great part of southern AZ. It's also one of the "famous" overland routes in the US.

Runner up: Anything in the desert. We have some of the best sunsets and moon rises in the world. There are some great spots just east of the Phoenix area for starters.
North Rim is on my bucket list.

thompsongtx

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Evansville, Indiana
First Name
Darren
Last Name
Thompson
Service Branch
US Navy
Southern Indiana isn't exactly famous for it's wilderness (or much else) but here goes:
1. Lincoln State Park.
2. Clifty Falls.
3. Harmonie State Park.
All three are wooded, good hiking, family friendly facilities, but not too remote. I was introduced to the joys of the outdoors at all three, as were my kids. My wife and I have two foster children with us at present, at 1&2 years old we just returned from Harmonie today and both of the kids loved it!! Life is good.

thompsongtx

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Evansville, Indiana
First Name
Darren
Last Name
Thompson
Service Branch
US Navy
Southern Indiana isn't exactly famous for it's wilderness (or much else) but here goes:
1. Lincoln State Park.
2. Clifty Falls.
3. Harmonie State Park.
All three are wooded, good hiking, family friendly facilities, but not too remote. I was introduced to the joys of the outdoors at all three, as were my kids. My wife and I have two foster children with us at present, at 1&2 years old we just returned from Harmonie today and both of the kids loved it!! Life is good.
In addition I would add Land Between the Lakes in western Kentucky. Probably as close as you will get "wilderness" in the fly over states. I think a lot of it is open to off road and primitive camping also.

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

You would think that info would show next to our avatars ?
I agree that would be an appropriate place to see where a member is from... the other site I'm on has it there and I guess I got used to it.

Once I realize it doesn't have it there I've put my location in my signature.

Last edited:

Truckerbizz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Reno NV
Member #

For Washington:
1. Anywhere in Leavenworth, there are a ton of FS roads to camp on that have amazing views and there are also a bunch of pay campsites that are very nice
2. Deception Pass
3. Deer Park in Port Angeles