• HTML tutorial

World Traveler III

Nokomis, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Fazio
Hmm
My Bad. I thought this was about cool do it yourself projects.
I know the comments were not done out of malice and it wont keep me from sharing but this is the exact reason I don't put these things out. Unlike most people, I can build most of my own things and yes, I have been "roughing it" for almost 50 years. Sometimes sleeping on a nice inflatable mat is nicer than leaves and dirt with a piece of cloth over it under a lean to made from branch's.
If something someone uses isn't for you, it doesn't mean others wont benefit from it.

Sometimes its just fun making things.
And adding a different perspective is good for anyone who uses this as a reference in the future...as in, maybe they are on the fence about building a water system and are researching and see a couple comments of those that decided to forgo it. If everything is so single focused or one-sided it makes it even harder to locate information. Am I wrong?

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

I agree with John and Mandi, Giving options is a good thing. My MWC faucet is (IMHO) a cool DIY project. It may give a newbie an idea for their buildout that was hidden by all the electric buzz. Whether or not one goes with power if they do the project they will know how to fix it when it breaks above the Artic Circle. Or just tip the can over.

Reactions: John and Mandi

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
There's nothing wrong with perspective if this was about that and not a "look what I built".

If I was claiming this to be the greatest device ever and its all I use as well as recommend everyone copy me, that would be hypocrisy on my part. Because I don't always use it.
If you want to tip cans great, if you looked at what quite a people run for can carriers you would see why this is a popular idea. I'm sorry but not all of us are set up the same. Anyone who would be researching this would have the same set up as myself. That means its a pain to remove and "tip" cans.
Could I change my set u? Sure but I'm not going to. I commonly drive on aggressive routes and the method I use keeps everything in place.

Why don't you give a diffrent perspective on something you built.
This "gadget" is not my invention nor am I the first to modify one for this use. Anyone researching this would find hundreds of people modifying them with a few who want to just pour out water.

Reactions: KonzaLander

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Now that a simple twist on a DIY project has turned into a debate.
I'm done
I did finish this but I see no reason to post pictures about it.
I don't mind criticism at all. I have been proven wrong in the past and I take it as a learning curve. This is why I research so much.

I will say it again, this is not my design, this is a twist that others have also done.
I guess this is what I get for sharing.

World Traveler III

Nokomis, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Fazio
There's nothing wrong with perspective if this was about that and not a "look what I built".

If I was claiming this to be the greatest device ever and its all I use as well as recommend everyone copy me, that would be hypocrisy on my part. Because I don't always use it.
If you want to tip cans great, if you looked at what quite a people run for can carriers you would see why this is a popular idea. I'm sorry but not all of us are set up the same. Anyone who would be researching this would have the same set up as myself. That means its a pain to remove and "tip" cans.
Could I change my set u? Sure but I'm not going to. I commonly drive on aggressive routes and the method I use keeps everything in place.

Why don't you give a diffrent perspective on something you built.
This "gadget" is not my invention nor am I the first to modify one for this use. Anyone researching this would find hundreds of people modifying them with a few who want to just pour out water.
I've met at least a thousand world travelers and it's 50/50 with those that tip cans and those that don't. You make a fair amount of assumptions, the worst being "Anyone who would be researching this would have the same set up as myself." Many that research read a massive amount of info before they even buy a rig. Knowing the complexities before deciding on an installed tank vs carrying cans is important, as is deciding on adding a faucet etc. Sure, there are those that research only when they have the need but there are a ton of people that research to make the most informed decisions up front.

I don't see a debate, just a couple alternative opinions were shared. Geesh.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Dude seriously.
I don't care how many countries you've seen.
If you want to comment why are you not commenting on tires or lift's. You should be giving opinions on how bigger tires create leverage against brakes or the dangers of poorly installed suspension, not a home made pump system to make life easier.
And yes people who run similar systems as myself look towards something like this. I've seen everything from hand pumps to electric pumps to siphon hoses on systems like I run. Years ago the cool thing was to put a spout on the bottom of the can so you didn't have to lift it out. I guess they should have been fighting getting the can out too.
I'm sure on your set up, you don't have an issue fighting heavy water cans or your just stronger than I. I don't even "tip" my fuel cans. I built the swingout on the side of the fuel filler so I can pump straight in without moving the cans. I'm sure your cans are set up diffrent.

I have not seen as many countries as you but I have been "Overlanding" for several DECAIDS mostly in what some call hard mode. My "assumptions" are based on what I have seen over that time. Not a few years and not a few people. I have helped run off road events for twenty plus years. In that time I know I have seen more off road set ups then you will ever see. So "Assumption's"?

If the post was about "should I run a pump or continue fighting my water cans in camp" then sure. If you wanted to point out a flaw in the design sure. It was already pointed out that I made a mistake regarding my diffrent filters. I'm not only fine with that I appreciate it.

Bottom line it was a thread about a cool mod. Nothing a life changing or endangering. Point out flaws and comment on the unsafe mod's people do to suspension. There's no need to comment on how you would never use a mode because you want to be old school. Personally, I'm tired of old school and want to live in modern times. You will never hear me knock someone for doing something diffrent than myself.
This is how creativity is stifled.

American Off-Road Club

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Berkshire, NY, USA
First Name
Dalton
Last Name
Kemak
Member #

I love how your post got trashed over something so simple. Seems like a great idea if it works for you. Being a tinker myself, I appreciate when a project ends in success. Keep doing what you're doing. Opinions are just that, opinions.

Reactions: grubworm

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Now that a simple twist on a DIY project has turned into a debate.
I'm done
I did finish this but I see no reason to post pictures about it.
I don't mind criticism at all. I have been proven wrong in the past and I take it as a learning curve. This is why I research so much.

I will say it again, this is not my design, this is a twist that others have also done.
I guess this is what I get for sharing.
I’m glad you shared. It gave me some new ideas.

Reactions: grubworm

World Traveler III

Nokomis, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Fazio
Dude seriously.
I don't care how many countries you've seen.
If you want to comment why are you not commenting on tires or lift's. You should be giving opinions on how bigger tires create leverage against brakes or the dangers of poorly installed suspension, not a home made pump system to make life easier.
And yes people who run similar systems as myself look towards something like this. I've seen everything from hand pumps to electric pumps to siphon hoses on systems like I run. Years ago the cool thing was to put a spout on the bottom of the can so you didn't have to lift it out. I guess they should have been fighting getting the can out too.
I'm sure on your set up, you don't have an issue fighting heavy water cans or your just stronger than I. I don't even "tip" my fuel cans. I built the swingout on the side of the fuel filler so I can pump straight in without moving the cans. I'm sure your cans are set up diffrent.

I have not seen as many countries as you but I have been "Overlanding" for several DECAIDS mostly in what some call hard mode. My "assumptions" are based on what I have seen over that time. Not a few years and not a few people. I have helped run off road events for twenty plus years. In that time I know I have seen more off road set ups then you will ever see. So "Assumption's"?

If the post was about "should I run a pump or continue fighting my water cans in camp" then sure. If you wanted to point out a flaw in the design sure. It was already pointed out that I made a mistake regarding my diffrent filters. I'm not only fine with that I appreciate it.

Bottom line it was a thread about a cool mod. Nothing a life changing or endangering. Point out flaws and comment on the unsafe mod's people do to suspension. There's no need to comment on how you would never use a mode because you want to be old school. Personally, I'm tired of old school and want to live in modern times. You will never hear me knock someone for doing something diffrent than myself.
This is how creativity is stifled.

I grew up in the country, what people call Overlanding we just call camping. We both have decades of experience.

You've taken issue, which is your prerogative. I, in no way, trashed your thread by commenting to another about their manual pump and how we just tip our cans. I specifically stated that we have discussed changing our method multiple times, why I looked into your system. I suggest you go re-read what I stated. We are all entitled to share what we want when we want. If this really has bothered you so much maybe there is a more important issue that needs to be discussed. I don't know you but I have no problem being a sounding board if needed. I'm not being a jerk, I'm being sincere.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
OK
I wasn't going to go there.

I did make a snarky comment about this being a DIY thing and YOU took offence to it even though it did not include just you.

My Bad. I thought this was about cool do it yourself projects.
That evidentially offended you and you had to again add a non related comment.

And adding a different perspective is good for anyone who uses this as a reference in the future...as in, maybe they are on the fence about building a water system and are researching and see a couple comments of those that decided to forgo it. If everything is so single focused or one-sided it makes it even harder to locate information. Am I wrong?
That's what pissed me off. This is about a project. If you choose not to do it, don't. If you want to add into the build, do so. The comments discredit the build. If you wanted to start a thread about who likes and dislikes something you don't do it in a DIY thread.

This whole post was about a simple DIY project not who likes them and who doesn't.
And your still justifying your comments.

I had chosen to ignore this until you decided that you were still correct and that I have issues.
My taking offence was you still not understanding what this thread actually is and changing it to what YOU want it to be then lamely justifying it.

I know you don't care but, I actually don't dislike you. You say nice things and I respect you for it. This thing threw me.

Maybe a shouldn't have made my initial snarky comment but that's how I am. Whether or not you understand this, the comments managed to derail this thread. As I stated (which you chose to ignore), I knew none of the comments were done out of malice. I was trying to keep everything on track.

Again, this is a DIY thread.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Here is my take on the "cheap amazon water cooler pump". Added a longer hose and a couple magnets. Keep my Jerry can(s) just below the pump and dip the hose in. The magnets allow me to easily move it in for travel and out for use. My only complaint is that the pump is kind of loud and I am an early riser - feel bad making a racket at camp to cook up some coffee while others are still sleeping. For the cost and effort it cannot be beat.

Stowed for travel
IMG_7464.jpeg

Out for camp use
IMG_7465.jpeg

Reactions: KonzaLander

World Traveler III

Nokomis, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Fazio
OK
I wasn't going to go there.

I did make a snarky comment about this being a DIY thing and YOU took offence to it even though it did not include just you.

That evidentially offended you and you had to again add a non related comment.

That's what pissed me off. This is about a project. If you choose not to do it, don't. If you want to add into the build, do so. The comments discredit the build. If you wanted to start a thread about who likes and dislikes something you don't do it in a DIY thread.

This whole post was about a simple DIY project not who likes them and who doesn't.
And your still justifying your comments.

I had chosen to ignore this until you decided that you were still correct and that I have issues.
My taking offence was you still not understanding what this thread actually is and changing it to what YOU want it to be then lamely justifying it.

I know you don't care but, I actually don't dislike you. You say nice things and I respect you for it. This thing threw me.

Maybe a shouldn't have made my initial snarky comment but that's how I am. Whether or not you understand this, the comments managed to derail this thread. As I stated (which you chose to ignore), I knew none of the comments were done out of malice. I was trying to keep everything on track.

Again, this is a DIY thread.
Every thread becomes what it does, same for every conversation. I thought the Luddite comment was funny and replied to it's author. That's all I did while also sharing some experience. For some reason it was construed as being not allowed or not close enough to the topic. Which doesn't matter as many on this forum post memes and other images that are a play on the particular topic at hand, and that too I find funny. In a perfect world people would start with water, how do I handle it...we haven't lived in that world in ages. Mixed content helps people understand that there are different ways to everything. I never once said anything derogatory about your set-up or anyone else's. As it is, I will leave this thread and you can restore it to whatever you wish it to be. If the moderators want to delete all of my posts, I have no issue with it.

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
@smritte - Thread derailment seems to happen here on OB more so than other forums (like Mud), for whatever reason. It's one of the reasons I don't post much here. Nonetheless, your DIY thread sent me down a rabbit hole of research for mixing jerry cans and pumps for my trailer. Thanks for that! I love reading a thread where folks are bouncing ideas of one another for the same type of project.

I dig the ingenuity and ease of use of the water cooler pump. I am also shocked it could pull water through the Sawyer filter, that is impressive. I currently have a RV sink hand pump on my jerry can and attempted to install a filter at the hose intake, but the hand pump was not able to prime and draw water. The cooler pumps must have a fair amount of head lift capability to draw the water through the filter.

@Ubiety - The magnet mod to the pump is great. How long is the hose attached to the pump? Did you notice any decline in pump performance with the longer hose?

Reactions: Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
@Ubiety - The magnet mod to the pump is great. How long is the hose attached to the pump? Did you notice any decline in pump performance with the longer hose?
Hose is ~33 inches long; just long enough to reach the jerry cans and make it to the bottom with a little slack left over. Probably just about doubled the hose's length. Still delivers water like a champ, no noticeable affect with longer hose. If I remember correctly the pump was $16 and the hose was $10 (enough hose to do at least two setups). I previously scoffed but now like having water at the push of a button and don't have to unpack anything to get at the water or heft the cans around. Was originally going to just insert the pump into the can like @smritte shows at the beginning of this thread but learned of @Hogman's setup and immediately bought the extra hose. Probably the most effective overlandering doo-dad for the money spent ;) My pump is above the water, if you install it below the water it will siphon but a little plug/nipple over the metal spout will remedy that.

Pump is $13 now!

Hogman

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Everett, WA, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Balsley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRHS363
Hose is ~33 inches long; just long enough to reach the jerry cans and make it to the bottom with a little slack left over. Probably just about doubled the hose's length. Still delivers water like a champ, no noticeable affect with longer hose. If I remember correctly the pump was $16 and the hose was $10 (enough hose to do at least two setups). I previously scoffed but now like having water at the push of a button and don't have to unpack anything to get at the water or heft the cans around. Was originally going to just insert the pump into the can like @smritte shows at the beginning of this thread but learned of @Hogman's setup and immediately bought the extra hose. Probably the most effective overlandering doo-dad for the money spent ;) My pump is above the water, if you install it below the water it will siphon but a little plug/nipple over the metal spout will remedy that.

Pump is $13 now!
I have a Wrangler Unlimited and use a 7 gallon aquatainer. I drilled up the vent to snug fit the hose into the container, and use the pour valve as the vent, that way there are no leaks going down the trail and it is still serviceable as a regular container. The aquatainer goes upright in the rear passenger seat and the hose runs to the rear storage area to the pump mounted to the fridge. @Ubiety was the Guinea Pig to see if the pump would work or was crap. Pump works fine flows about an ounce a second.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
very cool! with a topper and deck system in the back of the tundra, there is a perfect spot for the sceptor water jug behind the wheel well. as you can see in the pic, its a very tight fit over there on the right side and there is no way to "tip" the can. a manual pump might work, but the electric pump and filter is pretty perfect for our set up. we cook on the tailgate, so that gives good water right there where i need it without any hassle. i had bought an inline 12v pump to go inside the can, but your idea makes a lot more sense...AND its filtered...

IMG_0454 (4).JPG

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Seven years of full time and we just tipped the cans to fill water bottles.
im going to have to try that. i keep having to buy new sceptor water cans because after i fill them, i dont know how to get the water out...

• Haha
Reactions: Ubiety

Jeepncj7

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Adding my contribution to the thread.

Goals: To come in cheaper than the dometic go faucet and address some of the shortcomings I saw.

My setup:

Pros:

Much cheaper than $170+ for dometic faucet and jug.
Allows redundancy if pump fails (ie I just use the normal spout)
Longer hose (I did 7.5 feet in total)
Larger water container (5 gallons)
Quick disconnect to allow other connections if needed (disconnect also seals when disconnected, retaining water tight jug).

Cons:
Specific to this pump, it uses the old micro USB. As soon as one with USB-c comes up I'll do a new version.

No warranty, I'm on my own to fix (which is fine, it's a $12 pump, and I have a backup spout)

I don't really like my V1 mounting of the bottom plate to the pump, I may just glue it next time and call it good.

If pump is placed around 4 feet lower than the jug, and it has ran with water in the line, the back pressure will cause the faucet to leak. This is another reason I didn't do the connection at the bottom of the jug. However in no normal scenario for me (camp kitchen, storage etc) has it leaked, but something to be aware of.

Did some field testing today and it works great. With the magnet on the bottom I can place on any metal surface. For storage, I put a cellphone metal plate on the top of the scepter and it holds on that. I'll be adding the same to my pull out drawer system.

Pics are of it stowed away, but I'll update with testing pics and a price rundown.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: grubworm and Ubiety