Rank III

Enthusiast III

SF Bay Area, CA
First Name
Kris
Last Name
Pruden
Member #

This is my 4Runner. There are many like it but this one is mine.

I’m starting with a 2021 4Runner Venture. Still pretty much stock. We’ve been on two trips so far: an overnight to Hull Mt in Mendocino National Forest to dial in our initial camping setup for a 3-week trip to Idaho and Wyoming.

The awning is by OffRoading gear. The cargo box is a Packasport Journey 90. Just installed today are BFG K02 275/70R17s.

My goal for this build is pretty typical: relax in moderate comfort, with my wife and our dog, in special places along routes of mild to moderate technicality. Mostly weekender-type trips with occasional longer (a week to a month or two) expeditions.

My near-term goal (within the next year or so) is to do the Pacific Coast Overland Route, possibly expanding into Canada (I’m from BC and still have family there).

I’m starting with cargo management and safety. The roof box is a beast but impractical. First of all, it’s *heavy* (over 70lbs), so all I can safely put up there is sleeping bags, pillows, and other bulky, light stuff. Besides that, it’s too long and interferes with the rear lift gate. So, it’s going to be replaced with a Sherpa Crestone whenever my order finally makes it to be front of the queue.

Beyond this, I’ve added two fire extinguishers (fire safety is especially important in the West these days) - one mounted to the driver's seat and the other to a Victory 4x4 rear MOLLE panel. I plan to take a first aid course ASAP and mount appropriate first aid kits to the MOLLE panel as well.

The next big-ticket item is is either armor or suspension. Probably armor, even though suspension is more fun.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: samba

AggieOE

Rank IV

Advocate II

Pearland, Texas, USA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
NWK
Member #

Looks great! Love the plans. Depending on your adventure, armor isn’t always needed. It’s also extra weight and obstacles during routine maintenance. I vote simple suspension. I have the common Bilstein/Cornfed lift and love it for a DD/camping/travel rig. Good luck with the build and post the adventures. Looks like fun!

static

Rank III

Enthusiast III

SF Bay Area, CA
First Name
Kris
Last Name
Pruden
Member #

Looks great! Love the plans. Depending on your adventure, armor isn’t always needed. It’s also extra weight and obstacles during routine maintenance. I vote simple suspension. I have the common Bilstein/Cornfed lift and love it for a DD/camping/travel rig. Good luck with the build and post the adventures. Looks like fun!
That’s good advice, and exactly how I was thinking, until I put the existing skid plates through the absolute ringer on our last trip! I’ll post a thread about what happened, but suffice to say my technical off-roading skills need improvement :)

The dilemma is, with more clearance, I’m less likely to need armor. On the other hand sooner or later I’m probably going to add armor, which will likely require suspension tweaks to handle the extra weight, so why do suspension twice?

Once I start pulling a thread, pretty soon the whole sweater comes apart :)

Kris

static

Rank III

Enthusiast III

SF Bay Area, CA
First Name
Kris
Last Name
Pruden
Member #

A Prequel post!

The very first "mod" I made was getting the Packasport Journey 90 onto the roof. This proved to be a surprising challenge. The thing is a beast! At roughly 70 pounds empty, and quite large, it was way too unwieldy to lift safely by hand, even with help.

I actually got this box before the 4Runner - I'd originally purchased it for my daily driver and our usual road-trip car, a Volvo V90. the sleek look of the Packasport matches the V90 well, and I wanted something to match the color (also white -- I like white cars because I think they look good, even when dirty). Once I got the 4Runner, I figured it'd work well there too.

So, I built a crane. I probably could have just taken it somewhere and had it mounted for a nominal fee, but I was determined to solve this myself.

It's pretty simple, but took several iterations. The first version was simply an a-frame made with two 8-foot 2x3s with another 8' 2x3 as the boom, and a 1/2" carriage bolt as the pivot, held in place with a wing nut. A hinge held the top of the frame together, and a tenth of wire rope held the frame in place. Under load, the frame wants to spread apart, so I didn't think I'd need a rigid cross member (this ended up being wrong). The feet are replacement shoes for a ladder. I used ratcheting straps to hold up the boom, and to anchor the whole thing to a nearby tree. I added steel reinforcements (off the shelf from Home Depot) later, when the first lift of the cargo box produced an alarming creaks and bowing in the boom. The additional reinforcements were added to the frame beams when I became concerned by signs of splitting in the wood at the pivot point. For lifting, I used a cheap hand winch from Amazon.

In the end, it was a bit sketchy, but it got the job done, and probably cost me about $100 or so.

If I had it to do over again, and I knew how to weld, I might do something like this instead:

Attachments

TacticalBBQ

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fremont CA
Member #

Nice start to your build. I am building up my T4R as a moderate overland type vehicle. I had a built JK before this and took that build too far for long travel. It was great off-road but long drives sucked. I got armor before my lift. But i went with aluminum from RCI. Then did the Bilstien lift and cornfed lift combo. I don't plan on bombing this thing down the desert like a trophy truck lol

Defiantly gonna keep my eye out on your build for ideas.

ifellonscissors

Rank II

Contributor III

Redmond, WA, USA
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Fish
Member #

I’m starting with a 2021 4Runner Venture. Still pretty much stock. We’ve been on two trips so far: an overnight to Hull Mt in Mendocino National Forest to dial in our initial camping setup for a 3-week trip to Idaho and Wyoming.

The awning is by OffRoading gear. The cargo box is a Packasport Journey 90. Just installed today are BFG K02 275/70R17s.

My goal for this build is pretty typical: relax in moderate comfort, with my wife and our dog, in special places along routes of mild to moderate technicality. Mostly weekender-type trips with occasional longer (a week to a month or two) expeditions.

My near-term goal (within the next year or so) is to do the Pacific Coast Overland Route, possibly expanding into Canada (I’m from BC and still have family there).

I’m starting with cargo management and safety. The roof box is a beast but impractical. First of all, it’s *heavy* (over 70lbs), so all I can safely put up there is sleeping bags, pillows, and other bulky, light stuff. Besides that, it’s too long and interferes with the rear lift gate. So, it’s going to be replaced with a Sherpa Crestone whenever my order finally makes it to be front of the queue.

Beyond this, I’ve added two fire extinguishers (fire safety is especially important in the West these days) - one mounted to the driver's seat and the other to a Victory 4x4 rear MOLLE panel. I plan to take a first aid course ASAP and mount appropriate first aid kits to the MOLLE panel as well.

The next big-ticket item is is either armor or suspension. Probably armor, even though suspension is more fun.
Hi, static

I'm starting down a similar road of building out my 4Runner. Next stop...roof rack. I've been considering the Sherpa Crestone. Did you ever get it? Have you installed it and had it long enough to have thoughts?

Thanks!
Steven

static

Rank III

Enthusiast III

SF Bay Area, CA
First Name
Kris
Last Name
Pruden
Member #

I did finally get the Sherpa installed a while back. I haven’t managed to get out and put it through its paces, but the install was straightforward, and I really like how it looks!

Kris

Hi, static

I'm starting down a similar road of building out my 4Runner. Next stop...roof rack. I've been considering the Sherpa Crestone. Did you ever get it? Have you installed it and had it long enough to have thoughts?

Thanks!
Steven

Attachments

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
A Prequel post!

The very first "mod" I made was getting the Packasport Journey 90 onto the roof. This proved to be a surprising challenge. The thing is a beast! At roughly 70 pounds empty, and quite large, it was way too unwieldy to lift safely by hand, even with help.

I actually got this box before the 4Runner - I'd originally purchased it for my daily driver and our usual road-trip car, a Volvo V90. the sleek look of the Packasport matches the V90 well, and I wanted something to match the color (also white -- I like white cars because I think they look good, even when dirty). Once I got the 4Runner, I figured it'd work well there too.

So, I built a crane. I probably could have just taken it somewhere and had it mounted for a nominal fee, but I was determined to solve this myself.

It's pretty simple, but took several iterations. The first version was simply an a-frame made with two 8-foot 2x3s with another 8' 2x3 as the boom, and a 1/2" carriage bolt as the pivot, held in place with a wing nut. A hinge held the top of the frame together, and a tenth of wire rope held the frame in place. Under load, the frame wants to spread apart, so I didn't think I'd need a rigid cross member (this ended up being wrong). The feet are replacement shoes for a ladder. I used ratcheting straps to hold up the boom, and to anchor the whole thing to a nearby tree. I added steel reinforcements (off the shelf from Home Depot) later, when the first lift of the cargo box produced an alarming creaks and bowing in the boom. The additional reinforcements were added to the frame beams when I became concerned by signs of splitting in the wood at the pivot point. For lifting, I used a cheap hand winch from Amazon.

In the end, it was a bit sketchy, but it got the job done, and probably cost me about $100 or so.

If I had it to do over again, and I knew how to weld, I might do something like this instead:
Nailed it!!!!!
Zim