First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
Re reliability it depends what you buy.
My Land Rover is over 23 years old and apart from things like wheel bearings and UJ’s it never skipped a beat. All which where understandable on a 2 year 54k mile trip. It’s early ECU so only 3 sensors to shut it down.
Most overlanders prefer earlier vehicles with no electronics like the earlier 300tdi Defenders.
The new Defender has 72 ECU’s I believe. You try getting that fixed in the middle of Africa or the Gobi Desert.
Old defenders and similar for old Toyotas can be fixed at the side of the road without the need for laptop diagnostics and throwing multiple parts and sensors at it.
We also saw Toyotas broken down. It’s all relative.
The later Discoveries etc are a challenge and the Discovery 3 we had was great but I have had friends have multiple issues including bursting into flames.
So basically go old school and minimize. I love the rovers but I made a joke earlier that they can't even get kids to school without breaking. I love the space in the LR4. It's a very utilitarian look and they drive amazing. However as you said, it's a full on computer. So you think it's better to go older less ecu and naturally aspirated. So word is don't go overlanding in a 2022 Discovery.
If you do think carefully where you intend to go

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
To be fair to Discoveries, we saw a convoy of them (various recent models) leaving the Simpson Desert when we were about to start the crossing. I guess I don't know whether they made the whole crossing or not, however none was being towed.

Having said this, on a recent long trip in Canada (25,000 km) we saw only five Defenders outside cities (one with its hood up, one on a recovery vehicle), and very few Discoveries.

In Africa, when I first lived there in 1973 LRs were everywhere; when were last there (10 months in 2017) they were rare; friends used one from Namibia to Tanzania and back and had numerous problems throughout the trip, although to be fair did get to Kenya and back.

My sense is that if you like fixing your own vehicles a LR is fine and the capability is good,.

Indigoblue

Rank I

Contributor I

Jupiter, FL, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murphy
I asked on the land rover forum that you all suggested I do. The general consensus is they are all piles of dog poo. All members say go nissan or toyota. This is sad.

Michael Golden

Rank VI

Explorer I

Tampa Fl
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Golden
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG4BCN
Service Branch
U.S. Army
Hi all, have completed a 6 month overlanding trip in 2017 and wanting another go at it. I live in south Florida
Welcome to the overland bound community from another Floridian. Glad to have you join us.