My little Suzuki

• HTML tutorial

AlexanderLR

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Bodø, Norway
Member #

Just some pictures of how bad it was, both rust and dirty oil wise, before I did all the bearings and seals :)

On the back side of the knuckle. Seal not doing it's job. Grease and dirt everywhere!

Brake dust shield. It turned to dust when I touched it.

Inside the hub. It smelled like death :P

Rear engine mount. This one holds the gear box. Weirdly enough, it is much easier to change gears now :P

Keeping on top of maintenance is important! Nothing is more annoying than when something brakes on a trip, just because you don't service your car.

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

They give it a more unique look, how do you like the round spotlights so far?

Are the headlights actually tinted or does it just look like it?

This Jimny is giving me ideas! :D

Reactions: Luis Merlo

AlexanderLR

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Bodø, Norway
Member #

They give it a more unique look, how do you like the round spotlights so far?

Are the headlights actually tinted or does it just look like it?

This Jimny is giving me ideas! :D
The glass is not tinted, but it's black inside(besides the reflector). Comes like that from factory :)

The spotlights are ok. Cheapest ones from biltema. They are 37,5 in reference, so their distance is ok. Not as good as the ref 50 ones on my pick up. But since we have the silly light reference rules, I obviously can't use those on road :P Got a little led bar as well for spread, but saving that for when I get a roof rack.

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

Cool, I want better lights (and better tires) on my little crossover aswell, I just have some less than average Hella's, sadly a roofmounted LED bar is not an option for me.
(the best change I have made to my vehicle so far was removing the sidesteps)

DSC01419 by Joachim Sandven, on Flickr

AlexanderLR

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Bodø, Norway
Member #

Cool, I want better lights (and better tires) on my little crossover aswell, I just have some less than average Hella's, sadly a roofmounted LED bar is not an option for me.
(the best change I have made to my vehicle so far was removing the sidesteps)

DSC01419 by Joachim Sandven, on Flickr

Think the ones from biltema was 500kr for the pair. And as long as the relay for the lights you have are 30A, you could just reuse the wiring :P Quick install.

For tires I would really recommend bf goodrich AT ko2. I love mine! Can't say that enough. Tried them on some dirt roads, but not off road yet though. But you probably won't go full off road with the hyundai? That or general grabber at2 which are a bit cheaper and also pretty aggressive, would be good tires for dirt roads, mountain roads etc. None of them will be good for winter though. My hakkas are brittle and old. Gonna find some really cheap studded tires :)

I had side steps on mine too. If they can't function as rock sliders, they are only in the way and steal clearance :P They got binned fast!

AlexanderLR

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Bodø, Norway
Member #

What a day! I just love off roading. Loads of fun with different kinds of 4wd's. Most of them much bigger than mine. Found a little Lada that I could drive around with.
The jimny performs great, but really needs new suspension. The 17 year old springs have sagged quite a bit. 2" lift next!

And it is not even that dirty. But I went through a couple of mud holes with windows open. More mud in the car, than on the car :P

Hello :)

This is my little Suzuki. It's going to be used for pure off roading, and overlanding! Used to have a mazda b2600, but it was big and I could not get any upgrade parts for it that would keep it road legal here in Norway...

I've had my Jimny for almost 2 weeks now. Already love it to bits. Small and agile. It's light, slow and fun to drive!

Here is a picture from when I went to pick it up. Flew a bit south from where I live, and had a 11 hour drive home. So I got to know the car a bit.

Crossing the arctic circle.

I wanted a second battery for it, so made up a tray and moved the washer bottle a bit. (it was sitting where the battery is sitting now)

Going on a little overlanding trip with my GF this summer, so we went out camping for one night. Just an hour away from home. Our dog has never slept in a tent before, so it was just a trip to let him try that and see what we would like to bring on our trip this summer.

Also started making up some stuff for the back. Removed the rear seats, and made a new insert to have a flat floor. Don't want to bring any extra passengers anyway :P Building a crate for the dog. It is nearly done. Just need to carpet it and mod the door a bit more. And also making up a shelf over the plastic box there, so I can bring an extra and easily pull them out. Or just to bring one, and let the rest of the luggage stay on top. Hate having to take stuff out, to get to other items under them. Need to level the boot floor a bit.

The car has some rust. Only in the boot. Which is a big problem with Jimnys. Got a welder, just have to learn to use it. And then it will be fixed :)
Have you seen the UK based company jimnybits

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Reactions: T-88 and Luis Merlo

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

I belive he has, he told me about jimnybits.com and that got me wanting a more capable rig down the line.

AlexanderLR

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Bodø, Norway
Member #

The jimny has been parked for a little while. Mostly because I have been waiting for parts to fix it's problems.
When I went off roading it started to jump out of low range from time to time. Got under the car and thought the transfer box was hanging a bit low. But as I have never really looked at it before, I didn't know how it should hang. Checked the mounts and they were ok (well, so I thought at the time).
We got a bit of snow recently and I tried to put it into 4wd. Heard a little clunck and when I was trying to move the shifter to 4wd, I just moved the entire transfer box. 2 of 3 mounts was broken straight off :P
I bet one of the broke while I was off road, and nr 2 was just barely hanging in there. And then broke now. Old mounts are made out of aluminium. It's nice cause it doesn't rust, but shit cause it gets old and brittle. And since it doesn't rust, it is hard to see that it is on its way out.

I ordered some heavy duty steel mounts and replaced them today :)

Not a good angle on the drive shaft with the mounts broken...

Old mount on top of the new one. A couple of big pieces missing.

Old vs new mount nr 3

Number 3 was also on it's way out. Lots of cracks!

Reactions: Jimmy P and T-88