My little Lowe's Trailer build (in progress)

• HTML tutorial

LandTracker82

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

USA
Member #

You said your fabrication guy is east of Atlanta? If it’s alright with him, might you PM me his number or email? I’m down in Columbus and looking to do something very similar.

Edward

Silverback_WK2

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler I

Tontitown, AR
Member #

This is exciting! David was able to get my trailer done late Friday night and I got it picked up.
We went a little taller with the bars for 2 reasons.
1. So my kayak will fit under the bars.
And
2. So my coolers and totes will squeeze in under the bars when loading/unloading if/when my tent is mounted.

I'm impressed with the weight balance as well. It's pulling very well.

I had David weld on two new tabs up higher for relocating the tail lights. I stopped at Harbor Freight and bought a set of waterproof LED tail lights. Again, I had a couple reasons:
1. Up higher for better visibility for people behind me.
And
2. Up higher to keep debris from striking the lights.
I'll get those installed hopefully tomorrow and will post up pics later to show the change.
20180421_100001.jpg 20180421_100014.jpg 20180421_095952.jpg

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

This is exciting! David was able to get my trailer done late Friday night and I got it picked up.
We went a little taller with the bars for 2 reasons.
1. So my kayak will fit under the bars.
And
2. So my coolers and totes will squeeze in under the bars when loading/unloading if/when my tent is mounted.

I'm impressed with the weight balance as well. It's pulling very well.

I had David weld on two new tabs up higher for relocating the tail lights. I stopped at Harbor Freight and bought a set of waterproof LED tail lights. Again, I had a couple reasons:
1. Up higher for better visibility for people behind me.
And
2. Up higher to keep debris from striking the lights.
I'll get those installed hopefully tomorrow and will post up pics later to show the change.
View attachment 54687 View attachment 54688 View attachment 54689
Wow, that's really looking cool! That's going to be so handy to use. I love having a trailer.

Silverback_WK2

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler I

Tontitown, AR
Member #

Ok, Tuesday night after work I was able to do a couple more things before I leave Atlanta for Arkansas for the Bonfire Rendezvous Friday morning.
I raised the tail lights up for better visibility and to keep them up higher to clear obstacles and whatnot. I then also added a 1st Aid Kit to the fender. I'm taking my kayak to Arkansas with me, so I added my J Bars to the rack. Hopefully that works out. The kayak normally goes to the top of the rig. Eventually, a nice new RTT will be up there. But this week, my Jackson kayak goes on the trailer.

20180425_190111.jpg 20180425_190143.jpg 20180425_190119.jpg

WayRodJKU

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Maryville, TN, USA
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Rodgers
Member #

Nice trailer...I’m rebuilding a trailer - wish I would’ve just bought a new one if I’ve got to replace it all anyway...live and learn

Biker Eagle

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Chelsea, AL, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Culbertson
Member #

Service Branch
Former NOPD LEO
Had a problem with the metal screen wearing holes in gear...chairs, canopy etc., from the vibration. It was like stuff was being sandpapered. Went to Tractor Supply and found Stall Mats. They come in 2 sizes and 2 thicknesses. I got one in 3' x 4', 1/2" thick. It covers most of the floor and on sale now for $22. Problem solved.
Stall Mat.jpg

Reactions: TerryD and Spud

eredinger

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Roseville California
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Redinger
Member #

I picked up the same trailer for under $300 locally at Lowes. I've done an axle flip and gained around 3" and extended the tong out about 4.5' feet to accommodate my 17' kayak. Next up some larger wheels and rack system for a rooftop tent also. I like the rack you have. will be interesting to see how you mount the tent. Also, does it still bounce around a bit when it has a light load with the larger tires?

IMG_0716.jpg
IMG_0718.jpg
IMG_0717.jpg

Silverback_WK2

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler I

Tontitown, AR
Member #

An update -

In another thread, I'd mentioned our relocating back to Northwest Arkansas from Georgia.
We got moved back in May and we've since decided we're going to build a new house on some property we have in Tontitown.
Well, I'd mentioned on a Facebook group about maybe selling my trailer to pay off a couple small bills and one thing led to another and after several offers, I sold it.
It was an awesome trailer with a ton of capability and I only hope the nice couple who bought it can maximize it's potential.
So, it's gone.
Next spring, when we finish the house, I'll hopefully build or buy a new little trailer and start over.

Azul

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

hey guys, I have the same trailer and modifying it this weekend... Was wondering if I should use my tacoma stock leafs that are just laying around now that I got a new lift.. swap out the trailer ones... I will eventually upgrade the axle and have matching tacoma rims on it... but thats much later... but right now, my buddy is going to do the welding and is going to skirt my trailer, so I was wondering if I should have the tacoma leaks added?.... please advise.... thanks

Silverback_WK2

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler I

Tontitown, AR
Member #

If you've got em, use em.
But the best thing to do to start is put a longer tongue on (18-24 inches) and cut the fenders off and move them UP to the top rail.

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

I wouldn't go slapping anything on without knowing what you have in the first place... What is the spring rate on the Lowe's trailer? What is the spring rate on the Tacoma leaf spring?

Azul

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

So it’s. 4x6 Lowe’s utility trailer rated at 1700 lbs with a 2000 lb capable axle. I plan to skirt it to about 3 1/2 ft. Right now it has angle iron at about 1 ft off the frame. The leafs on the trailer, though I don’t know it’s particular specs will handle the 1700 lbs and the ones I want to add are off my tacoma. I plan to change the axle to a 3500 lb rated one with tacoma tires in the back as well... a friend will skirt it and we will add some square tubing to make a rack for my rtt.
One, I have these new leafs, becuase of a recall, just laying there and figure it be good to add those to the trailer. If I could add the shocks I’d do that too... lol.
Thanks for insight. Just trying to learn more.