louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I live at 6000 ft. altitude and use propane for cooking and heating. When I lived at 3300 ft. alt. and used natural gas, everything cooked much faster (i.e. hotter flame) I don't know if it is because of the difference between natural gas and propane or the altitude, but I do know it takes longer to cook anything at 6000 ft. thsn 3300 ft. ! I doubt I will get much higher on the trail than 8000 ft. but it seems to me the longer it take to cook something the more fuel you would be using. Be interesting to hear from someone who has some real knowledge about this sort of science.
air is about 20-21% oxygen and at sea level, the weight of air is compressing itself to 14.7 psi or 1 atmosphere. as you go up in elevation, the air is less dense which means it has less pressure and less oxygen per same volume because the molecules are spaced out more. at sea level you take a breath and get a certain amount of oxygen, up around 10,000ft, you might need two breaths to get the same amount of oxygen. so unless you are compressing the air with something like a pump or turbo, the ambient air will eventually be too thin to support combustion and you will waste fuel since its not getting a clean burn.

Finally! I spent $10,000 to learn about pressures and gases in commercial dive school nearly 30 yrs ago and FINALLY used that info to answer a question!! :grin:

Last edited:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
air is about 20-21% oxygen and at sea level, the weight of air is compressing itself to 14.7 psi or 1 atmosphere. as you go up in elevation, the air is less dense which means it has less pressure and less oxygen per same volume because the molecules are spaced out more. at sea level you take a breath and get a certain amount of oxygen, up around 10,000ft, you might need two breaths to get the same amount of oxygen. so unless you are compressing the air with something like a pump or turbo, the ambient air will eventually be too thin to support combustion and you will waste fuel since its not getting a clean burn.

Finally! I spent $10,000 to learn about pressures and gases in commercial dive school nearly 30 yrs ago and FINALLY used that info to answer a question!! :grin:
And a dummie got to ask you the question for free ! You could can it and sell it by the atmosphere. This is your lucky day Grub ! Thanx, I really didnt know that but my logic kicks in every once in a while after enough dumb moves.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
And a dummie got to ask you the question for free ! You could can it and sell it by the atmosphere. This is your lucky day Grub ! Thanx, I really didnt know that but my logic kicks in every once in a while after enough dumb moves.
Ha! Well, I'm realizing that the older I get, the more irrevelant my knowledge becomes. In my 20's, I was a pretty good machinist and made a lot of the parts for deep diving submersibles on a manual machines...now everything is CNC and I probably couldn't even figure out how the turn one on let alone use it. I used to be pretty good with electronics and fixed a lot of stuff on subs and offshore...now the parts are so small and complicated that I can't even fix a toaster with its little computer board monitoring the toast. All those years trying to be smart and now I have to go to my teenage son and ask how to use an iphone.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Ha! Well, I'm realizing that the older I get, the more irrevelant my knowledge becomes. In my 20's, I was a pretty good machinist and made a lot of the parts for deep diving submersibles on a manual machines...now everything is CNC and I probably couldn't even figure out how the turn one on let alone use it. I used to be pretty good with electronics and fixed a lot of stuff on subs and offshore...now the parts are so small and complicated that I can't even fix a toaster with its little computer board monitoring the toast. All those years trying to be smart and now I have to go to my teenage son and ask how to use an iphone.
We could make a fortune in a third word country with our knowledge. We are has been's in the country we helped to build. On top of that everything I was taught in school was a lie.

eagle_A40

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

Galvez, Louisiana. USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Somebody
Member #

Great job restoring your grandfather's stove. I know you'll get many years of go use out of it.

I have one like it in my utility room that is at least 35 years old. It hasn't been used in at least 26 years. I'll most
likely have to spend time cleaning it before it is usable again.

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

Very nice restoration. I love to see these old stoves given new life. I have a late 40's 425. It is what is called a "No Letter" it was the very first and does not have a Letter designation (425B,425G, etc). I also have a brand new 424 Dual Fuel. These are great stoves and will last a life time with proper care.
My favorite thing about these stoves is the sound and the smell. They make a distinctive sound and the white gas has a unique odor. Maybe it is nostalgia, but I love it and it brings back memories. Its how outdoor cooking should sound/smell.

MuckSavage

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

South Jersey, NJ, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
McG
Member #

Very nice restoration. I love to see these old stoves given new life. I have a late 40's 425. It is what is called a "No Letter" it was the very first and does not have a Letter designation (425B,425G, etc). I also have a brand new 424 Dual Fuel. These are great stoves and will last a life time with proper care.
My favorite thing about these stoves is the sound and the smell. They make a distinctive sound and the white gas has a unique odor. Maybe it is nostalgia, but I love it and it brings back memories. Its how outdoor cooking should sound/smell.
@oldmopars you're right about the sound/smell! In Boy Scouts when you smelled that white gas & heard the wishhhhhh sound ya knew it was about chow time. And, the same noise led you to the latrine in the dark as much as the light!