Oakville, MO, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Kuhn
Member #

Service Branch
LEO (Ret'd)
Thought I’d share here and see if there are any other fans of old Colemans.

Years back, my mother gave me my Grandfather’s old twin burner Coleman stove from 1954-ish. It was in pretty bad shape, and needed some TLC. IMG_0382.JPGIMG_0384.JPG

After some much needed maintenance (new filler cap and a rebuilt of the pump assembly) as well as a thorough cleaning, I got it to reliably burn. I did some minor sanding and ended up painting interior (high temp paint) and exterior (closest I could get to “Coleman green”

IMG_0400.JPGIMG_0406.JPGIMG_0402.JPG

I’m the end, it’s not a museum quality job, but it’s solid and should give this old stove another 60+ years of life!

IMG_0422.JPGIMG_0428.JPG

Anyone else have a love for these workhorses?

Cheers,

Chris

Plasmajab

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Quinte West, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Ian
Last Name
Howard
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3IRA
That's awesome. Great job on the restoration. Seems to be in excellent shape overall, so your effort was well worth it I would say. We used those stoves for winter exercises when I was in the army. They're nearly bomb proof.
And we still use them today for that reason.

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Nice work. Your grandpa should be proud to see that you are giving that stove an extra life.

I am a fan of the old Coleman stoves. I don't know how many I have, but it The Bride seems to think I have too many.

Reactions: 64Trvlr

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Walmart, Dicks Spirting Goods, outdoor shops, etc. it’s pretty easily found here in the Midwest
Thanks, you did an awesome job on the old stove. Somewhere somehow I have lost my dads Coleman stove. Too many moves and too careless I guess. I have a two burner coleman lantern that has never used that I bought in 1960. Recently checked it out and all the parts look new including the pump seal and plunger. I bought some new socks and it's ready for some use now that I know I can buy fuel for it.

I found an old coleman the other day at the government surplus store for $15, he had several but I liked the one like yours. I had my doubts about the white gas and left it on the shelf. I'll go back tomorrow and see if its still there. I like fixing old things if they are worth fixing.

Reactions: Smokey_Bear_JLUR

Mountain Goat

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Ipswich QLD, Australia
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
BOORER
Member #

Nice work. Your grandpa should be proud to see that you are giving that stove an extra life.

I am a fan of the old Coleman stoves. I don't know how many I have, but it The Bride seems to think I have too many.
Haha that would be any more than 1 would be too many

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I have multiple White gas stoves including SEVA gen 1 and 2 and a MSR Dragonfly that has over 300 meals on it. I also had/have a coleman 1, 2 and 3 burners. I replace the 2 burner for a Camp Partner. Propane runs fine up to 10,000 feet. The ease of propane use is far better than messing with a priming and flashing white gas stove. Also if you are outside of the USA you can get Propane, not so with whitegas.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I have multiple White gas stoves including SEVA gen 1 and 2 and a MSR Dragonfly that has over 300 meals on it. I also had/have a coleman 1, 2 and 3 burners. I replace the 2 burner for a Camp Partner. Propane runs fine up to 10,000 feet. The ease of propane use is far better than messing with a priming and flashing white gas stove. Also if you are outside of the USA you can get Propane, not so with whitegas.
I live at 6000 ft. altitude and use propane for cooking and heating. When I lived at 3300 ft. alt. and used natural gas, everything cooked much faster (i.e. hotter flame) I don't know if it is because of the difference between natural gas and propane or the altitude, but I do know it takes longer to cook anything at 6000 ft. thsn 3300 ft. ! I doubt I will get much higher on the trail than 8000 ft. but it seems to me the longer it take to cook something the more fuel you would be using. Be interesting to hear from someone who has some real knowledge about this sort of science.