• HTML tutorial

Big E

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Morganton, NC
Member #

Wonder if it's been tested-to-failure?
Your D-shackle has a 4 3/4 Ton Working Load Limit, wonder if the recovery point is good for that much?
I know it will handle more than what was stock before I replaced it. Installed as BPF reccommended.

Last edited:
Reactions: VCeXpedition

raycie

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Kapolei, HI
Member #

I had one of those on my Tacoma, before I got my Pelfreybuilt bumper, and sold the truck as well...

Still looking for a good one for my '16 4R. I know plenty people just use the factory welded loop, but I like overkill... been looking at the ARB one, but that thing is pricey.... lol

Mike D.

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Reno, NV
Member #

You have to have a good recovery point on your vehicle before you can recover from something. Bulletproof Fabrication recovery point for a Tacoma.
I just got mine delivered. From what I get this is a simple bolt with the stock bolts but do I need them torqued to a specific spec?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using OB Talk mobile app

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
I just got mine delivered. From what I get this is a simple bolt with the stock bolts but do I need them torqued to a specific spec?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using OB Talk mobile app
That recovery point seems a little on the light side. Is it a 2 or 3 point attachment?

The attachment bolts also seem SMALL. My personal opinion is that it is marginal, and should only be used in a BRIDLE configuration. A better product design is the ARB . But it is only available for Toyota in this country. There are a couple of companies that import other similar design recovery points.
4Wheel Drive Action (Australia) HAD a recovery point failure with a similar design.

Big E

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Morganton, NC
Member #

That recovery point seems a little on the light side. Is it a 2 or 3 point attachment?

The attachment bolts also seem SMALL. My personal opinion is that it is marginal, and should only be used in a BRIDLE configuration. A better product design is the ARB . But it is only available for Toyota in this country. There are a couple of companies that import other similar design recovery points.
4Wheel Drive Action (Australia) HAD a recovery point failure with a similar design.
It's the same bolts for a stock recovery hook on the TRD. Anything can fail.

Reactions: Old Griz

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
It's the same bolts for a stock recovery hook on the TRD. Anything can fail.
True...but that photo you submitted shows a 3rd hole, that has a RUST-RING halo where a 3rd bolt once was. I would at minimum put in some GRADE 8 bolts in all 3 attachment spots to the frame.

This would be cheap insurance, and increase the safety factor for all invoved.

Big E

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Morganton, NC
Member #

True...but that photo you submitted shows a 3rd hole, that has a RUST-RING halo where a 3rd bolt once was. I would at minimum put in some GRADE 8 bolts in all 3 attachment spots to the frame.

This would be cheap insurance, and increase the safety factor for all invoved.
They are metric equivalent to a grade 8., Like at 10 something in Japanese standards. Look it years ago. It's all good.

Old Griz

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Idaho
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Clisham
Member #

You have to have a good recovery point on your vehicle before you can recover from something.

I went the DIY route on mine. These photos are from the first mock up fitting. They were just quickly tacked together with a 110V stick welder so yes, they look dangerous in the pics...lol.
They are made from 3" x 3" x .250 square stock with .250 flat stock where needed. I can't find the finished product photos but you get the idea .

Attachments

KarmaSeoul

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Baton Rouge, LA, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
D
Member #

IMG_4946.JPG

Did a similar one when I first got mine. SOS concepts. Better than nothing. Now waiting for my new bumper. Will be nice to have proper recovery points.