My first piece of recovery gear.

• You may have noticed, things have changed round here! If you would like more information about the recent changes, please visit this post:

Software & Migration Update

• Guest, Did you know you can change the look of your Overland Bound forums? At the bottom of this page look for the Style Chooser! All previous and new light and dark themes are available. Pick something you like!

raycie

Rank I

Contributor I

Kapolei, HI
Member #

I had one of those on my Tacoma, before I got my Pelfreybuilt bumper, and sold the truck as well...

Still looking for a good one for my '16 4R. I know plenty people just use the factory welded loop, but I like overkill... been looking at the ARB one, but that thing is pricey.... lol

Mike D.

Rank II

Traveler II

Reno, NV
Member #

You have to have a good recovery point on your vehicle before you can recover from something. Bulletproof Fabrication recovery point for a Tacoma.
I just got mine delivered. From what I get this is a simple bolt with the stock bolts but do I need them torqued to a specific spec?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using OB Talk mobile app

Desert Runner

Rank V

Influencer I

Southern Nevada
Member #

I just got mine delivered. From what I get this is a simple bolt with the stock bolts but do I need them torqued to a specific spec?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using OB Talk mobile app
That recovery point seems a little on the light side. Is it a 2 or 3 point attachment?

The attachment bolts also seem SMALL. My personal opinion is that it is marginal, and should only be used in a BRIDLE configuration. A better product design is the ARB . But it is only available for Toyota in this country. There are a couple of companies that import other similar design recovery points.
4Wheel Drive Action (Australia) HAD a recovery point failure with a similar design.

Big E

Rank VI

Advocate II

Morganton, NC
Member #

That recovery point seems a little on the light side. Is it a 2 or 3 point attachment?

The attachment bolts also seem SMALL. My personal opinion is that it is marginal, and should only be used in a BRIDLE configuration. A better product design is the ARB . But it is only available for Toyota in this country. There are a couple of companies that import other similar design recovery points.
4Wheel Drive Action (Australia) HAD a recovery point failure with a similar design.
It's the same bolts for a stock recovery hook on the TRD. Anything can fail.

Desert Runner

Rank V

Influencer I

Southern Nevada
Member #

It's the same bolts for a stock recovery hook on the TRD. Anything can fail.
True...but that photo you submitted shows a 3rd hole, that has a RUST-RING halo where a 3rd bolt once was. I would at minimum put in some GRADE 8 bolts in all 3 attachment spots to the frame.

This would be cheap insurance, and increase the safety factor for all invoved.

Big E

Rank VI

Advocate II

Morganton, NC
Member #

True...but that photo you submitted shows a 3rd hole, that has a RUST-RING halo where a 3rd bolt once was. I would at minimum put in some GRADE 8 bolts in all 3 attachment spots to the frame.

This would be cheap insurance, and increase the safety factor for all invoved.
They are metric equivalent to a grade 8., Like at 10 something in Japanese standards. Look it years ago. It's all good.