My first piece of recovery gear. | OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY

My first piece of recovery gear.

Discussion in 'Overland Recovery Gear' started by Big E, Jan 30, 2017.

Hi Guest, Become a Member to gain access to the Member Forums, Member Map, Member Calendar of Events, and Rally Point overland trip planner! Click this link "Learn More" for more information!
  1. Big E

Big E Rank VI

Member #:

Map
    You have to have a good recovery point on your vehicle before you can recover from something. Bulletproof Fabrication recovery point for a Tacoma. [​IMG][​IMG]

2. VCeXpedition

VCeXpedition Rank IV

Member #:

Map
    Wonder if it's been tested-to-failure?
    Your D-shackle has a 4 3/4 Ton Working Load Limit, wonder if the recovery point is good for that much?

Desert Runner likes this.
  3. Big E

Big E Rank VI

Member #:

Map
    #3 Big E, Jan 30, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
    I know it will handle more than what was stock before I replaced it. Installed as BPF reccommended.

VCeXpedition likes this.
  4. vicali

vicali Rank II

Nice, I've got a similar one as well;
    [​IMG]

abreunig, awolfnspirit and Big E like this.
  5. Vyscera

Vyscera Rank III

Member #:

Map
    that's smart thinking.

6. raycie

raycie Rank I

Member #:

Map
    I had one of those on my Tacoma, before I got my Pelfreybuilt bumper, and sold the truck as well...

Still looking for a good one for my '16 4R. I know plenty people just use the factory welded loop, but I like overkill... been looking at the ARB one, but that thing is pricey.... lol

7. Mike D.

Mike D. Rank I

Member #:

Map
    I just got mine delivered. From what I get this is a simple bolt with the stock bolts but do I need them torqued to a specific spec?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using OB Talk mobile app

8. Desert Runner

Desert Runner Rank III

Member #:

Map
    That recovery point seems a little on the light side. Is it a 2 or 3 point attachment?

The attachment bolts also seem SMALL. My personal opinion is that it is marginal, and should only be used in a BRIDLE configuration. A better product design is the ARB . But it is only available for Toyota in this country. There are a couple of companies that import other similar design recovery points.
    4Wheel Drive Action (Australia) HAD a recovery point failure with a similar design.

9. Big E

Big E Rank VI

Member #:

Map
    It's the same bolts for a stock recovery hook on the TRD. Anything can fail.

10. Desert Runner

Desert Runner Rank III

Member #:

Map
    True...but that photo you submitted shows a 3rd hole, that has a RUST-RING halo where a 3rd bolt once was. I would at minimum put in some GRADE 8 bolts in all 3 attachment spots to the frame.

This would be cheap insurance, and increase the safety factor for all invoved.

11. Big E

Big E Rank VI

Member #:

Map
    They are metric equivalent to a grade 8., Like at 10 something in Japanese standards. Look it years ago. It's all good.