Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

Hello.

Though I'd share the contents of the first aid kits I have in my car and at home and ask if there is something I should add to it.

It contains the following items.

Small wounds:
2 Dry swabs
Assorted bandaids and one icebag.

Medium wounds:
2 Dry swabs
1 Sterile wound dressing (10x16cm)
4 Skin cleansing swabs

Large wounds:
1 Sterile wound dressing (17x17cm)
1 Rolled elastic bandage

Other items:
1 pair of tweezers
1 Scissor
1 Tick remover
6 Safetypins
1 Adhesive tape
1 Respiratory sheet
1 First aid blanket
1 Pair of disposable gloves

All made by a company called RFX Care

Joey

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
I would add the typical individually packed aspirin, alieve, anti diarrhea, Benadryl, triple antibiotic, sting relief, Sam splint, tourniquet, Israeli bandage, more nitrile gloves. Great start! The boo boo kit stuff is what gets used 90% of the time.

472HemiGTX

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Prineville. OR
First Name
Allen
Last Name
S
Member #

I have a separate trauma kit that includes; 4" and 6" Israeli bandages, medical tape, gauze bandages, Celox blood clotter in a military applicator, blood clotter sponge, wound stapler, sterile syringe for wound irrigation, sterile hemostats, instant ice pack, alcohol and wound wipes, cotton swabs, tourniquet, trauma shears, nitrile gloves and disposable medical face masks. Hopefully you will never need to use any of this stuff, but after that one instance occurs you will always carry it.

Ol Red

Rank 0

Traveler I

Also, consider having a bag that is lite enough to take with you if you are ever separated from your rig. Some of these kits are big and heavy and not practical to take with you on a hike.

Rubyredfozzy

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Fort Mitchell, AL, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Welch
Member #

Aid bags need to be made to cover the likely injuries youll get when out and about. Think bug bites, animal/reptile bites, sun exposure, hot and cold weather injuries, slammed thumbs in doors, camp fire burns, or trips at night over a cooler on the way to use the woodline. Like the guys said above boo boo kits are 100% the most used items. The next thing is to take some training or at least watch videos on how to use the items in the kit.

Id make a kit for the rig and one for walking around.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: thermorex

Surgicalcric

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Add a small roll of duct tape (mine is wrapped around a bic lighter in my E&E bag and) to your tape supplies in your kit. It will adhere to pretty much anything while medical tape usually only sticks to exam gloves, not to mention it can be used for a variety of tent and hose repairs.

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

we built ours. My wife has been in the medical field for over 40 yrs. I ordered the bag & we slowly stocked it with items that she felt was necessary: 2 ace bandages, 4x4 dressings, tourniquet, gauze bandages (various sizes), steri-strips (various sizes), suture (various sizes), suture kit w\needle holder, basic house hold band-aids, knuckle bandages, scalpel (3 sizes), Bedidine Solution, Neospoine, Kelly Clamp, Hibiclens, irrigation sterile water solution, 60 cc irrigating syringe, magnifying glass, cotton tip applicators, Benadryl Gel & Spray (bug bites, burns), Bayer Aspirin, Imodium, adhesive medical tape, Coban Elastic Bandage.
003.JPG 008.JPG 014.JPG

Last edited:

Nickzero

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Dugdale
Member #

This is all great items to have in a med kit.

I'd defiantly recommend the Israeli bandage, TQ, large pads of gauss, adhesive bandage tape, snake bite kit and more essentials than can be used to temporarily work in case of an emergency situation. These items can be used to add life saving minutes to the clock when needed. --- Vodka and duct tape for everything else. Stay safe!

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

I'd defiantly recommend the Israeli bandage, TQ, large pads of gauss, adhesive bandage tape, snake bite kit and more essentials than can be used to temporarily work in case of an emergency situation. These items can be used to add life saving minutes to the clock when needed. --- Vodka and duct tape for everything else. Stay safe!
Vodka is for the one administering the first aid, right? ;)

Reactions: Nickzero

Advocate II

Don't waste your money on a snake bite kit, they're a gimmick and they certainly don't work. Imagine a glass of water (your bloodstream) now put two drops of red food dye (venom) in that water, now try to suck the dye back out.

If bitten:
  1. Remain as calm as possible
  2. Try to slow your heart rate by limiting movement. Lay down and slow your breathing.
  3. Send someone to get help after they've marked your location on a GPS, Phone, or they know exactly where your located. Do not try and walk out on your own unless you have no other choice.
  4. Have said person notify the receiving hospital so that they can get the only thing that works...antivenom specific to the snake that bit you.

Nickzero

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Dugdale
Member #

Don't waste your money on a snake bite kit, they're a gimmick and they certainly don't work. Imagine a glass of water (your bloodstream) now put two drops of red food dye (venom) in that water, now try to suck the dye back out.

If bitten:
  1. Remain as calm as possible
  2. Try to slow your heart rate by limiting movement. Lay down and slow your breathing.
  3. Send someone to get help after they've marked your location on a GPS, Phone, or they know exactly where your located. Do not try and walk out on your own unless you have no other choice.
  4. Have said person notify the receiving hospital so that they can get the only thing that works...antivenom specific to the snake that bit you.
Solid info! thanks!

Reactions: Outer Limit Supply

mark62933

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Energy, IL
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Rogers
Member #

FAK are a must, but I find a lot of people do not have the training they need to use the items in the kit. Another thing I notice is that they have no idea where in the kit what they need is and end up rummaging around in the kit wasting time. Take a first aid course and know how to use the items in your kit. Second know where everything is at in your kit so you are not wasting time looking for what you need.

Reactions: MunsterGeo Overland

MunsterGeo Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor II

Mid West Ireland
First Name
John
Last Name
C
Member #

I see some members mentioned syringe of sterile water for wound irrigation.

Water you'd drink is perfectly fine for irrigation of a wound in the field. A 20cc or greater syringe is useful for forceful irrigation but a water bottle with a sports cap or a hole in the cap is generally fine.

You'll most likely need more than 20cc in most cases for wounds that occur outdoors that need irrigation.

Don't waste time and money on a prefilled syringe with limited capacity and expiry date. Wounds requiring sterile irrigation are going to require definitive medical care in an appropriate medical facility.

Last edited:

John Levers

Rank V
Launch Member

Steward I

Unity Maine
First Name
John
Last Name
Levers
Member #

Service Branch
Fire Service
Joey83 have you taken any basic first aid training? if not look in to it in your area because having the equipment is great but if your not trained on it its just a paper weight