My DIY Portable ARB Air Compressor

• HTML tutorial

Berserker

Rank 0

Contributor I

Hello, fellow adventure travelers. Below is a quick overview of my portable ARB air compressor build. I've had this compressor for eight years and it was hard-mounted in my first two Jeeps. On my third build, I wanted a customizable solution wherein my Jeep isn't always burdened with my off-road gear. This Jeep is my daily driver and I keep weight down when possible. In seven years I never needed my compressor outside of trips. My motivation for doing this is I don't have to keep buying vehicle-specific compressor mounts when I change rigs and can hand it off to a fellow traveler.

In the video, I briefly discuss the build and how you can duplicate it. The video also includes how I modified the ARB wiring harness with a diagram.

I used a Zarges K470 case.

Jellis

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Rancho Cordova, CA, USA
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Ellis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSI
I like the video. I have been wanting to make a portable compress myself. Can you upload the wiring harness diagram?

Berserker

Rank 0

Contributor I

I like the video. I have been wanting to make a portable compress myself. Can you upload the wiring harness diagram?
Thanks- it was fun to make. Here's the diagram I came up with. Over the years I butchered the original switch harness to the point of uselessness for portability, so I spliced in a new 3-pin plug and started over. I couldn't find an appropriate wiring diagram online and turned several wires into heaters during trial-and-error until I got it right.
ARB Dual Compressor Wiring Schematic.png

Reactions: Boort and Jellis

Rich_the4x4podcast

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Lawrence KS
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Young
Member #

Nice. I used an ammo box. My Viair fit in there perfectly. I have one box for the hose and one for the compressor.

Berserker

Rank 0

Contributor I

Nice. I used an ammo box. My Viair fit in there perfectly. I have one box for the hose and one for the compressor.
My one gripe with the case I used is I can't fit my current air hose in it. The next largest Zarges case is too big for this use (shown in the stacking shot in the video). I'm looking at air hose options to fit in the case. You've had that Viair for quite a while.

Rich_the4x4podcast

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Lawrence KS
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Young
Member #

My one gripe with the case I used is I can't fit my current air hose in it. The next largest Zarges case is too big for this use (shown in the stacking shot in the video). I'm looking at air hose options to fit in the case. You've had that Viair for quite a while.
Not too long, I got it for the Tacoma. The ARB went with the Jeep when I sold it. Another benefit of not hard mounting it to the vehicle. My other concern with storing the hose with the compressor was the heat. Typically when I'm done using it, everything gets packed up right away. I didn't want to have to wait for the compressor to cool down.

Nomad164

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Rockingham, Western Australia, Australia
First Name
Karl
Last Name
Fehlauer
Member #

Its good to see that kids are the same all over the world :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Good video - here in Australia you can buy the single and twin ARB compressors or carry cases already for those that don't want to hard mount them.

I would like to hard mount mine in my vehicle but don't have the space (well I do, but I also use it for storing other items) so I have it in its portable case.

Karl