Investor

Enthusiast I

Hope Mills, NC, USA
First Name
Edward
Last Name
Flores
Member #

Glad to see someone else building an older suburban. I have a 1997 suburban that I have been building for awhile. It has a rhino pioneer roof rack with a smitty built XL roof top tent with annex. The ole gal is riding on 33x12.50, which does pretty good off road and highway driving. Looking to do a drawer system with camp stove,storage and Arb fridge. Gonna try to post so.e pics soon. Good luck in your build.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

The "Noah's Ark" platform! Those GMT 400's are a great ride and very reliable. Looks good, and I even like the color.

Logansrun01

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Bakersfield, Kern County, California, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Thank you. I think these chevys are over looked. I had mine on the beach a few years ago and I didn't even air down. Ppl around me was getting stuck. My ole girl started to pull ppl out left and right. She is a really good platform to build in my eyes. I have some I hope cool ideas that won't cost me much but still have all I need to live off grid. What state are u in?

Logansrun01

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

First Name
John
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Glad to see someone else building an older suburban. I have a 1997 suburban that I have been building for awhile. It has a rhino pioneer roof rack with a smitty built XL roof top tent with annex. The ole gal is riding on 33x12.50, which does pretty good off road and highway driving. Looking to do a drawer system with camp stove,storage and Arb fridge. Gonna try to post so.e pics soon. Good luck in your build.
I actually replied in the main comments. I still am getting use to this. If you look down in the comments jest below is the one I responded to you.

Logansrun01

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

First Name
John
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

I actually replied in the main comments. I still am getting use to this. If you look down in the comments jest below is the one I responded to you.
The one about these chevys being over looked. Lol

Logansrun01

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

First Name
John
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

The "Noah's Ark" platform! Those GMT 400's are a great ride and very reliable. Looks good, and I even like the color.
Thank you. That the paint it was born with . She has never let me down the whole time I owned her. I have a 2005 burb z71 and my 96 sounds and rides better even power seems better on my 96. Both small block. I hope to have most of her done in the near future

Logansrun01

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

First Name
John
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

I just bought 285-75-16 which is close to 33s and about a 10 inch width. Falken wild peak. Love them. I want to do a lift but not a big lift. In all do time

Logansrun01

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

First Name
John
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

I just bought 285-75-16 which is close to 33s and about a 10 inch width. Falken wild peak. Love them. I want to do a lift but not a big lift. In all do time
I just have an older arb tent I bought used little rough but it's good. Sometime in the future I will get a new one. Not sure which one yet. Been looking at smitty too

Blue line overland

Local Expert Arkansas, USA
Investor

Enthusiast I

Hope Mills, NC, USA
First Name
Edward
Last Name
Flores
Member #

I didn't do a suspension lift with mine. I w
ent with a 3 inch body lift for now. It seems to work well with the 33's. Don't have to worry about gear ratio changes with that size tire. I had the smitty built rtt for awhile. I haven't had any problems with it so far. Good deal for the price.

Reactions: Logansrun01

Logansrun01

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

First Name
John
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

I didn't do a suspension lift with mine. I w
ent with a 3 inch body lift for now. It seems to work well with the 33's. Don't have to worry about gear ratio changes with that size tire. I had the smitty built rtt for awhile. I haven't had any problems with it so far. Good deal for the price.
I was thinking a 4 inch lift with my 33s. Smitty built tents are really good priced. That's what caught my attention. It would be cool to get suburbans , Tahoe's, and yukons together on a trip.

Blue line overland

Local Expert Arkansas, USA
Investor

Enthusiast I

Hope Mills, NC, USA
First Name
Edward
Last Name
Flores
Member #

Yeah I like that idea of getting all those vehicles together for a trip. I wanna do the trans american trail and a trip to Alaska.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Thank you. I think these chevys are over looked. I had mine on the beach a few years ago and I didn't even air down. Ppl around me was getting stuck. My ole girl started to pull ppl out left and right. She is a really good platform to build in my eyes. I have some I hope cool ideas that won't cost me much but still have all I need to live off grid. What state are u in?
I'm up in New England, so we see a fair amount of cold, snow, ice, freezing rain and slush. That means a lot of Salt, both from the nearby ocean air and dropped on the roads all winter.

I had the Blazer version of your Suburban. 2 doors with a very short rear end. I hear you when you talk about pulling people out of the sand. During one particular snow storm a few years ago, I pulled 7 or 8 people out of snow banks or out of snowed in parking spots just on my way to work that morning. Sure, I got to work late, but it was a snowstorm. Most of my coworkers never made it in at all, android the ones that did make it in, I beat most of them.

The GMT 400 was a great platform, and that 5.7 liter 350 they had was bulletproof. I would have liked to have seen that 5.7 paired up with a 6 or 8 speed transmission. Would have gotten better fuel economy and kept that reliability

Reactions: Logansrun01

Logansrun01

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

First Name
John
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

I'm up in New England, so we see a fair amount of cold, snow, ice, freezing rain and slush. That means a lot of Salt, both from the nearby ocean air and dropped on the roads all winter.

I had the Blazer version of your Suburban. 2 doors with a very short rear end. I hear you when you talk about pulling people out of the sand. During one particular snow storm a few years ago, I pulled 7 or 8 people out of snow banks or out of snowed in parking spots just on my way to work that morning. Sure, I got to work late, but it was a snowstorm. Most of my coworkers never made it in at all, android the ones that did make it in, I beat most of them.

The GMT 400 was a great platform, and that 5.7 liter 350 they had was bulletproof. I would have liked to have seen that 5.7 paired up with a 6 or 8 speed transmission. Would have gotten better fuel economy and kept that reliability
Yes very true. I think my 1996 burb gets better fuel then my 2005 z71 burb. I like it when everyone but a few has all new vehicles and I just keep right up with the. And even pull out a few new rigs along the way.

Logansrun01

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

First Name
John
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Yes very true. I think my 1996 burb gets better fuel then my 2005 z71 burb. I like it when everyone but a few has all new vehicles and I just keep right up with the. And even pull out a few new rigs along the way.
I am in california in the states