My Case for the 5.9L Grand Cherokee (ZJ)

• HTML tutorial

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
A few have asked (and many more wondered, I'm sure) why I would invest all this time and money into the Grand Cherokee (ZJ) platform. Let me start by saying, it would not be my first choice if it were my daily driver, or if I had kids. I'd want something newer, nicer, and bigger. However, as a tool for Overlanding (getting to those hard to get to places), these are my preferences:

1 - Solid front axle.
2 - Coil springs.
3 - Room to sleep inside.
4 - High power to weight ratio.
5 - Small & lightweight.
6 - Tight turning radius.

When you compare it to other popular "Overland" rigs, it stacks up pretty well...

Screen Shot 2017-07-02 at 8.22.07 AM.png

1998 ZJ (<100k miles), add 4.5" lift with 33's, 410 Gears, Air Lockers, Bumpers, Winch, Skids, Sliders, Rack, and Lights... <$20k + AAA Membership ;-)

Note: I would much prefer a diesel, with a frame, but not if it means giving up any of the above :-)

Last edited:

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Let me start by saying, it would not be my first choice if it were my daily driver, or if I had kids. I'd want something newer, nicer, and bigger.
Speaking just for myself, I think a ZJ would be just fine as a daily driver and with kids.

I say this as the owner and daily driver of an XJ (smaller and less powerful than your ZJ) who chooses the XJ over his larger, nicer and more powerful '02 2500 Suburban. The Suburban is great for long highway trips, but the XJ wins for everyday errands and such. The biggest issue is the challenge of finding a parking space. It is far easier to find a space to shoehorn in the XJ than it is to find a big enough spot for the Suburban.

I will grant that the parking issue probably would not take such priority if I lived in God's country.

If The Bride were in the market for another vehicle I would seriously consider a ZJ for her. She is okay with the XJ, but would probably prefer the upgraded amenities in the ZJ. For myself I would have to find a manual transmission ZJ, and I have yet to come across one of those anywhere. Rumor has it they exist, but I believe they are mythical, like unicorns and chukar.

Reactions: Kelly

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
I had a 96 ZJ with the 5.2l, it was comfortable on the road and great offroad. Ultimately I sold it because of ongoing reliability issues as it got older. From a packaging standpoint the only downside is that the spare tire is in the trunk and takes up a lot of space, moving it to the rear bumper would really help.

http://wwww.blankwhitepage.com/automotive/1996-jeep-grand-cherokee

Some things to look out for:
- It is common for the viscous coupler in the NV249 transfer case to fail and "lock up", which is not a problem offroad, but can cause some issues during tight turns on pavement.
- There are limited locker options for the rear aluminum D44, and it is hard to keep the diff cover sealed (peals up on rocks easily).
- The transmission is not the most reliable and requires special fluid.

If you put on larger tires and take it offroad then the front CV axle shafts and front CV driveshaft become common failure points. You can get replacements for both that use standard u-joints instead of CVs. Also the stock steering linkages are pretty weak and easy to bend, again there are good aftermarket replacements.

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
I had a 96 ZJ with the 5.2l, it was comfortable on the road and great offroad. Ultimately I sold it because of ongoing reliability issues as it got older. From a packaging standpoint the only downside is that the spare tire is in the trunk and takes up a lot of space, moving it to the rear bumper would really help.

- It is common for the viscous coupler in the NV249 transfer case to fail and "lock up", which is not a problem offroad, but can cause some issues during tight turns on pavement.
- There are limited locker options for the rear aluminum D44, and it is hard to keep the diff cover sealed (peals up on rocks easily).

If you put on larger tires and take it offroad then the front CV axle shafts and front CV driveshaft become common failure points. You can get replacements for both that use standard u-joints instead of CVs. Also the stock steering linkages are pretty weak and easy to bend, again there are good aftermarket replacements.
I'm installing the axles from my older Jeep. They already have ARB air lockers and 410 gears. I'll be doing an NP242 swap. Bummed to hear the transmission has trouble. But so did the one in my 95. I just had new steering box and all new steering linkage put on the whole jeep. Any idea if they'll fit the 98?

KTM GRIZZLY

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Apache Junction, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
Girard
Member #

Look into the knucklebone tire carrier I invested in one I'm waiting for it to arrive love the concept my spare is on my roof and getting a 33 inch tire from the roof to the ground when you're only 5 foot 8 is a little tough

KTM GRIZZLY

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Apache Junction, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
Girard
Member #

I love my 96 ZJ I'll keep building it because I love the platform and if you build it the right way it can be the ultimate off road vehicle, ZJ for life! But it does ( just empty every pocket) jeep! But I don't mind I use every penny spent and love it!

KTM GRIZZLY

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Apache Junction, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
Girard
Member #

Speaking just for myself, I think a ZJ would be just fine as a daily driver and with kids.

I say this as the owner and daily driver of an XJ (smaller and less powerful than your ZJ) who chooses the XJ over his larger, nicer and more powerful '02 2500 Suburban. The Suburban is great for long highway trips, but the XJ wins for everyday errands and such. The biggest issue is the challenge of finding a parking space. It is far easier to find a space to shoehorn in the XJ than it is to find a big enough spot for the Suburban.

I will grant that the parking issue probably would not take such priority if I lived in God's country.

If The Bride were in the market for another vehicle I would seriously consider a ZJ for her. She is okay with the XJ, but would probably prefer the upgraded amenities in the ZJ. For myself I would have to find a manual transmission ZJ, and I have yet to come across one of those anywhere. Rumor has it they exist, but I believe they are mythical, like unicorns and chukar.
There is a YouTube video where a guy made his zj into a manual and from the looks of it it runs fantastic . just search on YouTube manual transmission ZJ, I think the conversion has to be done but I don't think they come that way check it out. If they do they are a unicorn

Last edited:

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

#7, Buy in price.

They sell for pennies on the dollar in comparison to other Jeep models and many other common 4wd vehicles. Less money spent on the vehicle purchase frees up for upgrades / fixes. I regularly see drivable examples of both ZJ's and XJ's for under $3k...

KTM GRIZZLY

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Apache Junction, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
Girard
Member #

But I'm not sure if the swing out part is separate from the bumper or if they come as one unit because the price isn't that bad, but it might be the bumper and then you have to purchase the swing out part separate.

KTM GRIZZLY

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Apache Junction, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
Girard
Member #

And to be honest the reason I went with the tire carrier separate from the bumper versus the swing out bumper was because all the research that I've done people constantly had to recorrect the swing out carrier for sagging or reweld the bumpers to the body because of weight