My Case for the 5.9L Grand Cherokee (ZJ)

• HTML tutorial

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
There is a YouTube video where a guy made his zj into a manual and from the looks of it it runs fantastic . just search on YouTube manual transmission ZJ, I think the conversion has to be done but I don't think they come that way check it out. If they do they are a unicorn
The official claim is that they were indeed manufactured with a manual transmission. From the Wikipedia page:

Transmission choices included a four-speed automatic transmission (early production ZJs used the AW4 - the A500SE (later 42RE) replaced the AW4 during the latter half of the 1993 model year) or an Aisin AX15 manual transmission. Low demand for the manual transmission resulted in its discontinuation after the 1994 model year for North America but it remained on the option list for European ZJs (ZGs sold in Europe with the diesel powertrain retained the AX15).
I have heard this from other sources too, but have yet to come across one. So yes, a unicorn.

Being in Kali, I suspect that if I were to convert one then the smog techs would throw a fit. It is simpler to be happy with my XJ.

Reactions: KTM GRIZZLY

KTM GRIZZLY

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Apache Junction, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
Girard
Member #

The official claim is that they were indeed manufactured with a manual transmission. From the Wikipedia page:

I have heard this from other sources too, but have yet to come across one. So yes, a unicorn.

Being in Kali, I suspect that if I were to convert one then the smog techs would throw a fit. It is simpler to be happy with my XJ.
Lol your probably right on the smog. Cool info though. I only knew of one guy on YouTube doing the conversion himself. Stupid California laws

KTM GRIZZLY

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Apache Junction, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
Girard
Member #

They're probably sitting in somebody's Barn somewhere in the Midwest collecting dust or they already hit the junkyard