My Camp Kitchen Chuck Box

• HTML tutorial

KicknDirt

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Huntington Beach, CA
Member #

Hi All, there have been a number of request to show pictures and discuss my camp kitchen box. I had been for years doing all my kitchen stuff in a Rubbermaid tote, now for a starter this is fine, but for my OCD it was lacking organization! My dad had told me about his old Boy Scout Patrol Box. Much to my surprise when I looked on the internet for ideas and such it was a limited source. Most designs where very similar and not exactly what I had in mind.

Problem:: How to organize all my kitchen stuff and food?

Answer:: Well it may see real logical to just build something, but it took a while to arrive at that answer. I started the journey with a lot of research, form posts, social media digging, etc. I found a few small companies making wooden boxes similar to mine. I found a number of people who turned their Pelican cases into kitchen boxes. I tried that and found it was only slightly better then the Rubbermaid mess I was already dealing with. Granted there are some options for the pelican I didn't try like lid organizers and such. I do still use a pelican style case made by SKB cases for dry goods when I need extra space.

Once I figured out that buying what I wanted didn't exist, I actually approached SKB cases in Orange CA about it. I deal with them on a regular basis through my work so it seemed only natural. After some discussion it didn't seem like they understood the need, so time to venture out on my own.

I started the process by gathering ALL the stuff I wanted to put inside. My partner knock off stove, pots, pans, utensils, containers for food, etc. I laid it out in various storage configurations. I eventually came up with a diagram. From this I made a set of plans. Now on paper this seemed to be a modest size box, in reality it is pretty damn big and really needs to be a two person lift...... But I digress! I am lucky enough to have grown up in a family of contractors and carpenters so I do have some more advanced wood working knowledge. This is not quite a beginners box, but something more simple could be. I was able to use some very rare 1/2" Teak plywood, now this is not what I would recommend to use as it's almost impossible to find and super expensive. I have a bunch left over from my grandfathers old projects so I choose to use it. I was able to use my woodworking shop at my office for the build. It took me and my father who helped me along the way one long day to complete. I cut all the prices on a table saw. I used a narrow crown stapler and glue to assemble the box. It was pretty straight forward.

This is the result. The bottom shelf I store the stove on, it's a perfect fit. The two shelves in the right are for pots, pans, bottles, etc. the middle and top shelf hold cans, dry goods, chips etc. each door has shelves for spices, bottles, coffee stuff etc.

You can see here this is just finished with my contents in it. Pretty good.

This is the box closed, cheap Home Depot hardware, but it works fine.

Here is the box in use at camp. I use the top section ad my kitchen junk drawer.....cause we all need a junk drawer! I also bungy a roll of paper towels to the doors when in use.

This has made a massive improvement to the deployment of the kitchen stuff and having everything at the ready it's just great!

I still want to do some things like add a lid organizer and perhaps build another shelf on the left door, but it works for now so it's on the road.

I hope that helps, got questions..... Ask away! :)

kickkem

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Independence, MO
Member #

Hi All, there have been a number of request to show pictures and discuss my camp kitchen box. I had been for years doing all my kitchen stuff in a Rubbermaid tote, now for a starter this is fine, but for my OCD it was lacking organization! My dad had told me about his old Boy Scout Patrol Box. Much to my surprise when I looked on the internet for ideas and such it was a limited source. Most designs where very similar and not exactly what I had in mind.

Problem:: How to organize all my kitchen stuff and food?

Answer:: Well it may see real logical to just build something, but it took a while to arrive at that answer. I started the journey with a lot of research, form posts, social media digging, etc. I found a few small companies making wooden boxes similar to mine. I found a number of people who turned their Pelican cases into kitchen boxes. I tried that and found it was only slightly better then the Rubbermaid mess I was already dealing with. Granted there are some options for the pelican I didn't try like lid organizers and such. I do still use a pelican style case made by SKB cases for dry goods when I need extra space.

Once I figured out that buying what I wanted didn't exist, I actually approached SKB cases in Orange CA about it. I deal with them on a regular basis through my work so it seemed only natural. After some discussion it didn't seem like they understood the need, so time to venture out on my own.

I started the process by gathering ALL the stuff I wanted to put inside. My partner knock off stove, pots, pans, utensils, containers for food, etc. I laid it out in various storage configurations. I eventually came up with a diagram. From this I made a set of plans. Now on paper this seemed to be a modest size box, in reality it is pretty damn big and really needs to be a two person lift...... But I digress! I am lucky enough to have grown up in a family of contractors and carpenters so I do have some more advanced wood working knowledge. This is not quite a beginners box, but something more simple could be. I was able to use some very rare 1/2" Teak plywood, now this is not what I would recommend to use as it's almost impossible to find and super expensive. I have a bunch left over from my grandfathers old projects so I choose to use it. I was able to use my woodworking shop at my office for the build. It took me and my father who helped me along the way one long day to complete. I cut all the prices on a table saw. I used a narrow crown stapler and glue to assemble the box. It was pretty straight forward.

This is the result. The bottom shelf I store the stove on, it's a perfect fit. The two shelves in the right are for pots, pans, bottles, etc. the middle and top shelf hold cans, dry goods, chips etc. each door has shelves for spices, bottles, coffee stuff etc.

You can see here this is just finished with my contents in it. Pretty good.

This is the box closed, cheap Home Depot hardware, but it works fine.

Here is the box in use at camp. I use the top section ad my kitchen junk drawer.....cause we all need a junk drawer! I also bungy a roll of paper towels to the doors when in use.

This has made a massive improvement to the deployment of the kitchen stuff and having everything at the ready it's just great!

I still want to do some things like add a lid organizer and perhaps build another shelf on the left door, but it works for now so it's on the road.

I hope that helps, got questions..... Ask away! :)
What is the pot set on the right side of the picture? Looks pretty cool!

Reactions: T-88

chexmix

Rank III

Advocate II

Bay Area
I love it. I was a Boy Scout too and also remember them being also called a grub box. I've actually found lots of examples online (lots from scouting). These are some retro greatness, can't wait to build mine.

My only concern is weight, not for the rig but for making my wife lug. I'm thinking I'll build removable bins / drawers that can be removed easily.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: kickkem

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Ankeny, IA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

I think we have another thread like this somewhere too, but I didn't find it right away. I use a pelican 1640 (i think thats the model).. with the dividers and the lid organizer. Reminds me of this a little.

I just roll mine out to the end of the tailgate and use it, because its heavy and I don't want to take it out.. ha! The top 'layer' just pulls out, i set it on my table, and then i can access everything.

This picture is old, i have a lot more stickers on the thing now.. ha! Its always evolving.

whistlepunk

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Bend, Oregon, USA
First Name
DAVID
Last Name
LAVINSKI
Member #

Nice setup. Pretty much built the same style myself with a couple changes.
Instead of storage on top i made fold out leaves to create a work-surface and place to put the camp-stove. When not in use the camp stove slides in to the bottom with a cutting board. I also added a couple of drawers in the center for utensils and such.
While we have the same handles and hinges you have much better fit and finish, i build my first proof on concept and we have been using it since.
For some reason i do not have a lot of picture of it but here is one of my daughter using last spring at Alvord.

DSCF6443.JPG

theBROFESSOR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Conway, Arkansas
Member #

I think we have another thread like this somewhere too, but I didn't find it right away. I use a pelican 1640 (i think thats the model).. with the dividers and the lid organizer. Reminds me of this a little.

I just roll mine out to the end of the tailgate and use it, because its heavy and I don't want to take it out.. ha! The top 'layer' just pulls out, i set it on my table, and then i can access everything.

This picture is old, i have a lot more stickers on the thing now.. ha! Its always evolving.
Great idea. I was looking around and about to draw up a large design of a chuck box and then saw this. You just saved me a ton of time. lol thank you.

RobRed

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Prior to my Trekboxx system i had a traditional wood chuckbox for a minute but almost immediately went to a pelican case.

Pelican 1550

Way more details: Click Here

• Magma Products Gourmet Nesting 10-Piece Stainless Non-Stick Cookware
  • Sea-to-Summit 20L collapsible sink
  • Ikea LegitIm Cutting Board (9.5 x 13.5″)
  • LevelOne Collapsible Silicone Outdoor Camping Kettle (Orange)
  • Tiktaalik Field Knife Set
  • SnowPeak 450ml Double Wall Titanium Mugs with sippy lids, x2
  • GSI Outdoors Glacier Stainless Cup/Pot, x2
  • GSI Outdoors Infinity plates (packed in Eagle Creek Half Cube bag), x4
  • 42″ Telescopic Roasting Fork, x2
  • Oven Mitt
  • Bernzomatic mini butane torch
  • Kelty Cache large Box
    • Magma detachable pot handles, x2 (kept in REI tent stake bag)
    • REI poly Knife, Fork, Spoon, x6 plus Long Spoons x2 (kept in REI tent stake bag)
    • Various Spices in each TAP Plastic 2oz bottles, x18 (kept in Eagle Creek Half Cube)
    • Bottle of Tabasco, 2oz
    • Ipow silicone measuring Cups, .25C and 1.0C
    • Camp Suds, 4oz
    • Swingaway 407RD Can Opener
    • Kitchen Aid 5″ Chef Knife with case
    • Kitchen Aid 7″ Chef Knife with case
    • Oxo 9″ Tongs
    • Calphalon nylon Spatula/Flipper, small
    • Calphalon nylon 2-Piece Egg and Omelette Tool Set
    • Wooden Spoons, 10″ (x2)
    • Marinade Brush
    • MSR Brush Scraper (for cleaning dishes)
    • Disposable Sponges, x5
    • Zip-Lok bags, Quart size x15
    • Glad Kitchen Garbage Bags, 13 gallon x5
    • Microfiber cloth 12″x16″, x4 each
    • Lightning Strike Fire Starter
    • Vapur 1 litre Roll up Water Bottle

Reactions: JPM78130

interscope8

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Lafayette IN
Member #

Would you be able to provide plans or anything on the build of that chuck box? My mother does pop up trailer camping and has been talking about buying a chuckbox, I'd like to make one for her instead. Excellent info and build!

zachary

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

johnson city tn
Member #

Do you leave that in the bed of your truck, or pull it out when you're ready to cook? I've been thinking about making something similar, and placing it on a bed slide, removing the need to break my back taking it out of the truck bed.