My Camp Kitchen Chuck Box

• HTML tutorial

Rujack

Rank I

Traveler I

I’ve been thinking about making an aluminum box with 5052 and rivets. Not sure how that would hold up, but has anyone seen anything like that?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I’ve been thinking about making an aluminum box with 5052 and rivets. Not sure how that would hold up, but has anyone seen anything like that?
Not sure that it's 5052, might be thinner, but I've had one for over thirty years and it's rugged. Love it. To give an idea of dimensions, it will hold gallons of paint in the bottom and you can still close the trays and lids.

Be a fun project to design and make more for foodstuffs and cookware.

They make similar product for EMTs and rescue squads.

signkit.png

Reactions: Rujack

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Those look interesting, reasonable price as well. And I see some rivets!
Oh yeah, they're definitely riveted. I put my kit in back of my truck one time to drop the tailgate and cap back, but had to go back in for the key. Then got distracted when inside and when I finally came back out, got in my truck and promptly backed over my kit, crumpling one corner pretty good. Was able to straighten it out, though, and put in new rivets and made it all good again! Still have it, still use it.

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Here's the lnk.. err. linkafied : http://www.chrissystems.com/common/getfile.aspx/417032

If you don't type it perfect, all you get is dog pictures. Neat looking boxes though. Might be pretty handy to bolt onto one of my running boards.

-jim lee
You'd have to leave enough clearance behind the case for the lid to open properly; it's what keeps me from mounting some cases in some places, but it would be interesting to see how well they do fixed outside for long term.

I suspect these tack boxes may be lighter in gauge than the one I posted at top. Those go for up to 3-400 bucks ea some places nowadays - though I've seen them other places much cheaper in recent years. If I recall correctly, I bought mine for around $79 in the early 80s. Just went to check to see if I have it here to take some photos, but don't. Must be in my storage unit.

Here are a few more pics I found, though, of one exactly like I have, from D-Flite. It is 18" L, 10 5/8" wide, 12" tall:

aluminumsignbox-01.jpeg aluminumsignbox-02.jpeg

Here's a link to a whole mess of different riveted aluminum cases.

Here's a cool aluminum box I could see using in my van, either inside or out, though I'd dump the big handle:

aluminum-sales-kits-epic-f.png
Here's the link to the above: Solid Aluminum Binder Cover

As for other aluminum boxes, I have three Zarges cases that I love, too, that are Bear-Resistant. One this size, and two about half as tall:

roaddude_partnerstove22-0646.jpg

Hope you end up making something, @Rujack - I'm really interested to see how it comes out.

Last edited: