US Southwest My annual September Mojave Road trip!

• HTML tutorial

Trbrilin

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Lake Havasu City, AZ, USA
First Name
Trudianne
Last Name
Bullard
Member #

I’ve taken a group out with trailers before. Not sure what your trailer is capable of, but it’s pretty nice though!
We’ll have lots of rocky areas, Sandy areas, a steep decent on a radical off camber decent into Watson Wash, and a few go Fast areas to play in. So you’d need to be able to keep up in certain sections.
 You’re welcome to come play though.
Oh, nice garage btw!
Cool thanks!

Trbrilin

Rank II

Enthusiast I

First Name
Trudianne
Last Name
Bullard
Member #

FYI-The NPS indicates that the Mohave National Reserve is closed due to damage from Hurricane Hillary. Hopefully it opens before the event.

my134Runner

Rank IV

Influencer II

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

FYI-The NPS indicates that the Mojave National Preserve is closed due to damage from Hurricane Hilary. Hopefully it opens before the event.
It will be open, besides......we're going the back way in, no roads involved getting into the park!! Plus, I know someone too!! The roads will be open Sept. 1, we're going on the 15th. Plus my buddy Dave Nichols (NPS Ranger) already told me everything would be open. I'm going to try and go out there Sunday, may stop by his house for lunch or to just say hi (guess I better ask if he's going to be home). His ranch is right off of Cedar Canyon Road and not far from the area of the New York Mountains that just burned for the first time in history!
Plus, whoever takes care of their web pages are Always behind by a few days!!!
Anyway, we'll be fine. Let me know if you'd like to go. And, I already posted up that there's No Firewood Allowed, as we're using a propane fire pit. Don't need anymore fires out there!!! So, you can bring a propane tank if you want! :sunglasses:

Reactions: Trbrilin

Warhorse3

Rank II

Pathfinder III

Golden Valley, AZ, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Hickerson
Service Branch
USMC
My rig has what us humvee owners call "the vampire" right now, so I need to do a full fluid exchange and fix. I won't be ready this year, but please invite me again! I'd love to do this and I'm only like 30 miles from the start point!

Reactions: Trbrilin

Trbrilin

Rank II

Enthusiast I

First Name
Trudianne
Last Name
Bullard
Member #

FYI-The NPS indicates that the Mojave National Preserve is closed due to damage from Hurricane Hilary. Hopefully it opens before the event.
It will be open, besides......we're going the back way in, no roads involved getting into the park!! Plus, I know someone too!! The roads will be open Sept. 1, we're going on the 15th. Plus my buddy Dave Nichols (NPS Ranger) already told me everything would be open. I'm going to try and go out there Sunday, may stop by his house for lunch or to just say hi (guess I better ask if he's going to be home). His ranch is right off of Cedar Canyon Road and not far from the area of the New York Mountains that just burned for the first time in history!
Anyway, we'll be fine. Let me know if you'd like to go. And, I already posted up that there's No Firewood Allowed, as we're using a propane fire pit. Don't need anymore fires out there!!! So, you can bring a propane tank if you want! :sunglasses:
we will be there!

my134Runner

Rank IV

Influencer II

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

My rig has what us humvee owners call \"the vampire\" right now, so I need to do a full fluid exchange and fix. I won\'t be ready this year, but please invite me again! I\'d love to do this and I\'m only like 30 miles from the start point!
No worries, I go a minimum of twice a year, my other trip that I take people with me is Easter!! So in another 6-7 months, look for my Easter trip up!

my134Runner

Rank IV

Influencer II

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

It will be open, besides......we\'re going the back way in, no roads involved getting into the park!! Plus, I know someone too!! The roads will be open Sept. 1, we\'re going on the 15th. Plus my buddy Dave Nichols (NPS Ranger) already told me everything would be open. I\'m going to try and go out there Sunday, may stop by his house for lunch or to just say hi (guess I better ask if he\'s going to be home). His ranch is right off of Cedar Canyon Road and not far from the area of the New York Mountains that just burned for the first time in history!
Anyway, we\'ll be fine. Let me know if you\'d like to go. And, I already posted up that there\'s No Firewood Allowed, as we\'re using a propane fire pit. Don\'t need anymore fires out there!!! So, you can bring a propane tank if you want! :sunglasses:
we will be there!
Right on! Send me your cell info, name, who's going, etc. Thanks

my134Runner

Rank IV

Influencer II

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

It will be open, besides......we\'re going the back way in, no roads involved getting into the park!! Plus, I know someone too!! The roads will be open Sept. 1, we\'re going on the 15th. Plus my buddy Dave Nichols (NPS Ranger) already told me everything would be open. I\'m going to try and go out there Sunday, may stop by his house for lunch or to just say hi (guess I better ask if he\'s going to be home). His ranch is right off of Cedar Canyon Road and not far from the area of the New York Mountains that just burned for the first time in history!
Anyway, we\'ll be fine. Let me know if you\'d like to go. And, I already posted up that there\'s No Firewood Allowed, as we\'re using a propane fire pit. Don\'t need anymore fires out there!!! So, you can bring a propane tank if you want! :sunglasses:
we will be there!
Right on! Send me your cell info, name, who's going, etc. Thanks

my134Runner

Rank IV

Influencer II

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

New Updated list!

The list so far.......
1: Robert and Cleo (dog) Trail leader 5th gen
2: Ryan Tacoma
3: JP and another Cleo (also a dog) Tentative....Work on call 5th gen TRDPro
4: Ramon LC200
5: Rene FJ
6: Paul Tacoma
7: Trudi and Ken SR5 4Runner and bad ass trailer

my134Runner

Rank IV

Influencer II

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

Just a couple other things to know about my trips........We Pack all of our shlt out! And yes, that includes your actual shlt! If you don't already have one, I suggest a good portable toilet system. The PETT toilet system really is the best option!! I've been using mine for 20+ years.......and my fat ass hasn't broken it yet!!. You can also just ask the Internet, and type that in, you'll find deals on it anywhere. Especially that we'll be in a National Park......it's required.

The other thing, on all of our trips, we tend to do meals (dinner, breakfast) in a communal fashion which has always worked for us, no matter how big the group!! I usually would post up a meal planner and everyone would fill in what they're bringing, and we can share with everyone what we bring. No worries.......I'm sure just in my fridge alone, I'll have enough food for everyone x 10!!! I always seem to bring way too much! I usually cook either Big ass center cut Pork loin chops or boneless skinless Cajun breasts on Friday night, and for example......someone else can do a nice side dish or veggies, etc.....someone has appetizers, deserts, etc..... I'll have a big ass bottle of Bulleit 90+ proof Whiskey for cocktail hour as well!! And that's a special occasion also....as where I decided to camp Friday night (with a little advice from Ranger Dave) will basically be across the street from Ranger Dave Nichols' Ranch...........who just may be coming over from his ranch for dinner and Whiskey!! So, as long as he doesn't have any other personal or NPS related business to attend to, he will be our special guest for Friday!!!

Oh, the reason I probably don't need a menu on here, is that only three of us are on this forum, and the other three have been on this trip with me, two of them........for years and years.....the other, it's his second time! So, they already know what to do. And I'll generally set up tables close to the fire pit and we have an instant kitchen!!! On Sunday, we'll have to do the Soda Lake by pass, as it is impassable right now.....and for a while with the amount of water in it!! Think Burning Man 2023 bad!! So, no need risking getting any of us stuck in that crap!!! And the bypass actually shaves about an hour off of the trip across the lake any way!! Then we high tail across the Mojave Flood Plain to the Highlight of the entire trip.......Afton Canyon!!! I'f you've never been to Afton Canyon before, well.....it's awesome!! Think of mini Grand Canyon....and if the light is just right, the reds and orange and gray colors look incredible!!!

Last edited:

my134Runner

Rank IV

Influencer II

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

Oh, btw........in case you don't already know Dave, he is not only a NPS Ranger, he is also the Archeologist for the Mojave National Preserve.........as well as other National Parks that "borrow" him from time to time!! So, bring your questions with you, he can answer them all!! And, he also Lives in the Mojave NP........right off of Cedar Canyon Road.......so he'll be close by!! He's the only person that I personally know that knows his way around the park way better than even I do, I've only been going out there for the past 28 years, he's been going out there since the 1970's as a kid......And again, he Lives out there!!!

my134Runner

Rank IV

Influencer II

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

I was texting with Ranger Dave today, he may have to go out of the park next week, so he may not be available next Friday for dinner and drinks.

HeliPilot22

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Sacramento, CA, USA
First Name
Jacob
Last Name
Harcksen
Member #

If someone can’t make it, so there is enough room, I’m interested in going. Would be myself, my wife and two dogs. We did Death Valley last year and really want to try out Mojave road.

my134Runner

Rank IV

Influencer II

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

If someone can’t make it, so there is enough room, I’m interested in going. Would be myself, my wife and two dogs. We did Death Valley last year and really want to try out Mojave road.
No worries......I'm doing a roll call now for the people going that aren't members of this site. I'll hit you back as soon as I here the other commitments. Everyone that is here on OB are in.

my134Runner

Rank IV

Influencer II

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

I just talked to my buddy JP, he's out as he is going to Puerto Rico for a couple weeks the next weekend and can't swing both trips. So, Welcome!! What's y'all's names btw?