US Southwest My annual September Mojave Road trip!

• HTML tutorial

my134Runner

Rank IV

Influencer II

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

I've been taking people out to the Mojave Road and Preserve for 20 + years. Although I'm no longer interested in large groups, I'm willing to take up to seven (7) trucks, thus avoiding having to get a NPS Special Permit.
This is my second trip of the year, first one is Always Easter weekend! This will be September 15-17 2023

Builder III

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Augustine
Last Name
Wheelister
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRVW409
Service Branch
Army
We (Overland Bound x National Park Service) had a great trail clean up this past March 23-24th where we removed miles of the black pipe that snakes through the Mojave Trail, erased miles of illegal (and destructive) trails through the lake bed, and installed a ton of the carsonite markers to help people know where to stay to protect the land.

It was a ton of fun!
We are having another cleanup at the end of October, maybe you can make it out!

Reactions: Mr_Mnml_Engnr

my134Runner

Rank IV

Influencer II

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

We (Overland Bound x National Park Service) had a great trail clean up this past March 23-24th where we removed miles of the black pipe that snakes through the Mojave Trail, erased miles of illegal (and destructive) trails through the lake bed, and installed a ton of the carsonite markers to help people know where to stay to protect the land.

It was a ton of fun!
We are having another cleanup at the end of October, maybe you can make it out!
Yeah, I wanted to go on that one, but it's hard to get away from work most of the time. I always hated seeing those black pipes or tubes all over the place, good job! I know Dave Nichols was out there for that as well. He has been in Guam for the last month or two and was in Guam when the fire broke out, luckily, it spared his ranch and house burning away from it.......so, unlike the poor people in Lahaina, he has a house to come home to.

my134Runner

Rank IV

Influencer II

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

Really, anyone else that would like to come along are welcome!! I thought these Rally Point postings were meant to draw more interest for the posted trips. Oh well........trip is still happening regardless!

my134Runner

Rank IV

Influencer II

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

Right on, we have have a couple people from work going, and hopefully my buddy JP who has been out with us probably a dozen or more times. I could easily have 20 + trucks if I only chose to join the Las Vegas 4Runner/Toyota club. But, they aren't forum based and I am Not on FB or any of that stuff. I do have Insta picture, but that's it on the unsocial media.......and I only joined that to look up a girl that went on a day trip with us before! Lol!
But, I am Not looking to take out big groups anymore, have had my fill......and I Hate going through the NPS's Special Permit process to get a permit. So, 8 (7) or under trucks is just fine. I'll be going back out into the Mojave NP After we're done with the Mojave Road on Sunday and spending an extra 3-4 days in one of my favorite cabins. So after whoever shows up for the first three days goes home on Sunday, I'm going back out! Taking one of my vacations!! Just the dog and I.....unless anyone else wants to hang out too. ;-)

my134Runner

Rank IV

Influencer II

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

Also, there will be NO FIRE WOOD ALLOWED!!! So, unless you plan on making a bunch of toothpicks with the wood, leave it at home! Since the Dome fire a couple years ago, as well as the 100k acre York fire a few weeks ago, I see no need to risk setting my park on fire!
That doesn't mean that we can't have a campfire........as I now only bring my propane firepit! So, in lieu of firewood, please bring a big white tank of propane!! If we have a couple of tanks, we can have a nice campfire every night, and I don't have to trip out watching hot embers crackle into the night.
Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr_Mnml_Engnr

my134Runner

Rank IV

Influencer II

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

The list so far.......
1: Robert and Cleo (dog) Trail leader 5th gen
2: Ryan Tacoma
3: JP and another Cleo (also a dog) Tentative....Work on call 5th TRDPro
4: Ramon LC200
5: Rene FJ
6: Paul Tacoma

Ramón & René

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Ramon
Last Name
Ortiz
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7BDW
The list so far.......
1: Robert and Cleo (dog) Trail leader 5th gen
2: Ryan Tacoma
3: JP and another Cleo (also a dog) Tentative....Work on call 5th TRDPro
4: Ramon LC200
5: Rene FJ
6: Paul Tacoma
We are taking our dogs too. They are Boston Terriers. One is called Hund and the other is Segundo.

my134Runner

Rank IV

Influencer II

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

We are taking our dogs too. They are Boston Terriers. One is called Hund and the other is Segundo.
Right on! Dogs are cool! I'm going to take Cleo and have her shaved again........I usually just try and get her de-shedded, but that really doesn't work well. I experimented for my Easter trip shaving her for the first time, and she looked funny, but there for sure was less dog hair, and in a few months, it all grew back and then some!!
Oh, and please bring a big white tank full of propane if you have one!! No firewood allowed, only propane fire pit!!!

Trbrilin

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Lake Havasu City, AZ, USA
First Name
Trudianne
Last Name
Bullard
Member #

Really, anyone else that would like to come along are welcome!! I thought these Rally Point postings were meant to draw more interest for the posted trips. Oh well........trip is still happening regardless!
I have a Toyota 5th gen lifted 4x with N/fab steps, not sliders, I will also be towing a Boreas xt., will this be ok?

Trudi

Attachments

my134Runner

Rank IV

Influencer II

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

I have a Toyota 5th gen lifted 4x with N/fab steps, not sliders, I will also be towing a Boreas xt., will this be ok?

Trudi
I’ve taken a group out with trailers before. Not sure what your trailer is capable of, but it’s pretty nice though!
We’ll have lots of rocky areas, Sandy areas, a steep decent on a radical off camber decent into Watson Wash, and a few go Fast areas to play in. So you’d need to be able to keep up in certain sections.
 You’re welcome to come play though.
Oh, nice garage btw!

my134Runner

Rank IV

Influencer II

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

I’d love to come, but I’ll be out of town. Also, unsure if a stock 2011 Silverado is off-road enough for the Mojave Road?
Well, could a stock truck
Make it, yes……I’ve taken stock Tacomas, 4Runners and Landcruisers out. A basic thing you will for sure need is a set of strong off road tires with an E rating for a strong sidewall to deal with the rocks.