US West My Annual Easter Mojave Road trip!!

• HTML tutorial

my134Runner

Rank IV

Influencer II

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

We are coming from Sonoma wine county, so we are planning on heading out Wednesday, gonna stay somewhere along the way Wednesday night, and maybe Thursday night at the avi (pending dog policy) and will meet yall on Friday morning.

Right on! Have a safe drive down. And again, unless you need to have extra gas for the ride down, bring your Scepter cans empty.......gas at the Smiths in Ft Mohave is $2-3.00 less per gallon than anywhere in Commiefornia!! Save $$$ where you can on a road trip!!!

• Love
Reactions: orange01z28

my134Runner

Rank IV

Influencer II

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

Also, for those new to my trips, we try to do meals (Dinner and breakfast) in a communal fashion. I normally would put up a meal planner, and everyone fills in what they are bringing for each dinner/breakfast and basically, cooking and or serving up so everyone gets to try something from everyone!! Needless to say........there's Never been anyone on any of our trips that has Ever gone hungry!!
I'll post up some of the stuff I'm bringing as soon as I figure it out. I mean, I pretty much already know, as I like to bring either giant boneless skinless chicken breasts and or even bigger Pork loin chops from Costco and marinate them in Cajun spices for a couple of days and usually make those Friday night. I think Ryen will bring steaks, not sure yet, but I know his family always has them in the freezer at home as his dad Loves to bbq steaks!!! I'll also have eggs, bacon, turkey sausages, cheese, well.........I'll have enough food just in my big fridge for maybe a month!!! Lol!! That, plus whatever I can squeeze into my front seat fridge, which is basically drinks, snacks and stuff for lunch that I don't have to grab out of the big fridge in the back!!!

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

Looking like we might see a little rain but it’s weird through the desert. You can get a forecast for Baker or Bullhead City that says rain but it’s still dry 5 miles away.

Best to just plan for it just in case. Still waiting on a few parts to fix my awning so I’ll probably bring a pop-up.

Also did we sort out the meal planning? Can probably hit a grocery store Friday morning either way but if mine involves meat I’d rather hit my butcher first.

my134Runner

Rank IV

Influencer II

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

How is the weather looking for the trip? What area do you usually search to see weather conditions?

Well, I'm pissed!! I Always pay Extra $$$$ for perfect weather!!!! So, someone needs to give me my $$$$ back according to the forecast!!! LoL!!! Here's the official forecast. The link will take you to the NPS Mojave site, scroll down to weather and hit the Extended forecast link.
I was watching the news and they talked about possible rain this weekend, and i'm like, really?!
I don't think it's going to be all that bad, we just come prepared is all!!! Won't be the first nor the last time we get rained on, and this will be nothing like the Easter when I had 20 trucks and 50 people several years ago......That was an Epic rain storm that won't soon be forgotten, and we survived!!!

Last edited:

my134Runner

Rank IV

Influencer II

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

Looking like we might see a little rain but it’s weird through the desert. You can get a forecast for Baker or Bullhead City that says rain but it’s still dry 5 miles away.

Best to just plan for it just in case. Still waiting on a few parts to fix my awning so I’ll probably bring a pop-up.

Also did we sort out the meal planning? Can probably hit a grocery store Friday morning either way but if mine involves meat I’d rather hit my butcher first.

Yeah, I already planned on bringing my pop up after watching the weather on the news. If it says rain in Las Vegas, it more than likely will mean rain out there!! Just come prepared!! And like you said, with an area so big and vast.........just like the Las Vegas Valley.........it could be raining in one area and perfectly dry in another!!!
But seeing that I don't have room for the shade tent, I'm going to have Ryan carry it in his Tacoma!! So, there's one, I think he said his other buddy in the 4Runner (last one I posted) also is bringing one, and if you bring yours, we'll have three, just connect them together and we'll be fine. Unless the rain is while we're driving........then who cares, we'll be in our trucks!! We'll just have to deal with wet dog smell for a while though (for those with dogs)! Lol!!!
I'll check with Ryan and see what he and his guests plan on bringing for food and I'll post up something soon.

my134Runner

Rank IV

Influencer II

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

Bad news, I'm gonna have to take a rain check and join you guys in September, something came up and is gonna delay our trip :( so I won't be able to join yall
Really.......at the very last minute?? :angry::rage: That really sucks, I was looking forward to hanging with y'all again, and representing Toyota120!! So what came up?

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

I hate to pile on but I just got off my morning call with my senior and I'm being told all hands on deck probably through Friday... Long story short, IT deployment that went really bad with a PM out on family leave and I've been volunteered to take lead until they're back. If they can get the fix through testing today to deploy tonight I think I'll be ok but I'm not particularly hopeful. Trying to see if I can find someone to cover or if I can do it from the hotel.

GRAK

Rank I

Contributor II

Out West
First Name
Zero
Last Name
Ultra
Haha same, I’m out, family stuff. What can u do. Have fun boys I’m jealous

my134Runner

Rank IV

Influencer II

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

I hate to pile on but I just got off my morning call with my senior and I'm being told all hands on deck probably through Friday... Long story short, IT deployment that went really bad with a PM out on family leave and I've been volunteered to take lead until they're back. If they can get the fix through testing today to deploy tonight I think I'll be ok but I'm not particularly hopeful. Trying to see if I can find someone to cover or if I can do it from the hotel.
Well, that is also terrible to hear with two days to go. Hopefully you can get it fixed and meet us, let me know..

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

Well, that is also terrible to hear with two days to go. Hopefully you can get it fixed and meet us, let me know..
Yeah the reward for hard work is often more work and it's not looking good. I think I'll have to count myself out on this one but hopefully they pull it out and I can make the drive early Friday. I'll let you know if things change for the better but... yeah, not hopeful.

my134Runner

Rank IV

Influencer II

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

Yeah the reward for hard work is often more work and it's not looking good. I think I'll have to count myself out on this one but hopefully they pull it out and I can make the drive early Friday. I'll let you know if things change for the better but... yeah, not hopeful.
Are you familiar with the area at all? I can give you coordinates to where I think we're camping and you can meet us there Sat. morning for breakfast! As with just the three tucks (ironically, we all work together) we're not going to be in a rush to hit the road Saturday morning (weather pending).....we have three shade tents for shelter from the rain and to cook and hang out under........so we'll be having a pretty good breakfast. Saturday with the route I'm taking, is going to be our shortest travel day from Friday camp to Saturday camp. Longest day is Friday, then Sunday is the second longest.
The good thing about the Mojave vs like DV, is that there are a hundred entry points and you can always get to where we're at pretty direct. And in September when we go out again.......you can do all three days.
And if you somehow have Monday off, you're welcome to come back out into the park to the Geer cabin and hang out Sunday night too!!! So.....there would be three days!!

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

Grew up a couple hours away so very familiar with the area but not looking like it's in the cards between wrapping this up and working through my own stuff I've ignored all week. You all have fun and I'll see if I can catch the next one.

The Josh

Rank II

Traveler III

Mark West Springs, Sonoma County, CA, USA
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Engberg
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K2JAE
Honestly a big part of cancelling is the weather, in Sonoma county we got 70inches of rain this winter so we are both absolutely over the rain, don't even want to deal with it for a day so it changes everything. Plus my wife is coming along and she was not happy with that news, I'm also seeing storm advisories so it's not looking good, we're gonna skip the Mojave portion and go to death valley after the storm passes. We're in Santa Barbara now probably Thur Sunday and will make our way east after the storm

my134Runner

Rank IV

Influencer II

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

Honestly a big part of cancelling is the weather, in Sonoma county we got 70inches of rain this winter so we are both absolutely over the rain, don't even want to deal with it for a day so it changes everything. Plus my wife is coming along and she was not happy with that news, I'm also seeing storm advisories so it's not looking good, we're gonna skip the Mojave portion and go to death valley after the storm passes. We're in Santa Barbara now probably Thur Sunday and will make our way east after the storm
How about instead of making up a lame excuse of something came up, just admit that you can’t handle the weather! Anyway, it’s sunny and 81 * right now! It’s beautiful out here!!

my134Runner

Rank IV

Influencer II

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

So how was the trip?

The trip was fine, actually.....epic!! As normal, got about an hour late start, but it was fine with only three (3) trucks instead of 6 (six).....so we made up some time. But because of the 100000 acre fire last year, camp spots have changed, so we travel a little extra and go down Watson's Wash into Camp Rock Springs......and then up to the site of the old school house over by the old Rock house and Governments Holes. During the day, weather was Great!!! 80*, not a cloud in the sky....but later the wind kicked up.....not too bad, just annoying enough to make cooking on the grill take a bit longer. Anyway, Ryan's passenger buddy was funny, as I was unaware that he had been getting pounded all day long and was flat out wasted by the time we got set up!! He brought along a small fold up shovel for some reason, and proceeded to start digging holes for no ap[parent reason!! LOL!! Then started digging up the fire pit, which I told him we were Not using, as we no longer bring fire wood on my trips, as we were going to break in my new Lava Box propane fire pit (replacing my other much bigger one)...... Then, after I get my big ass 6 person tent set up by myself (instant tent) I watched as Ryan, Matt (fu(ked up!) and Cody (by this time, also Fu(ked up) attempter to put up Ryans tent! So, two guys wasted out of their minds, and Ryan stone sober (3 guys) trying to set up a small like 3 person tent.....I watched for an hour to 1.5 hours just laughing my ass off.......as it was extremely comical.......not only could three guys Not set up a simple tent, they broke the shlt out of it!!! LOL!!!

It took them another hour to get a tarp tied off covering the bed of Ryan's Tacoma so they had at least a little shelter from the wind. Anyway, you should have been there, as it was funny as hell!! Anyway, my buddy NPS Ranger Dave Nichols finally made it over (his ranch is right across Cedar Canyon Road from our campsite.....and Then the party started!!!! So, as promised, I brought a Big ass bottle of Bourbon, and proceeded to get Ranger Dave pretty drunk(he was off duty and off for the weekend and lives across the street!!) and ate obviously, great food that I cooked!!!

Good, pretty fun night overall. Saturday morning, had breakfast and packed up, watching the storm coming in......we got moving, went to Government Holes, then up to Mid Hills campground for a few...then up Wildhorse Canyon and showed them some other views......and now it's raining.
Went over to Macedonia Canyon Road and now it's starting to get into a torrential storm........had a blast hauling ass down that road, once down......took the bypass road (too much stuff on my roof rack to fit under the railroad bridge)......a few minutes later, we had to get out and change my right rear tire as I either hiti a rock and blew the tire or hit a rock and bent the inside of my rim and blew the tire off the wheel! Anyway, it took three of us to change it in what could have been hurricane rain!!! I worked the Highlift, Ryan worked the lug nuts and the tire and Cody worked the spare and putting the flat back up. All in all, not bad time, but Soaked to the bone!!!!
Depending on what the weather was going to be like, our original plan was going to be to camp at Beale mountain.

I changed my plans when it was obvious that there would be no break in the weather, and I didn't feel like setting up a camp in that shlt! So, my plan was now to get us to shelter, so my new destination was to get us all across the Mojave Road to the Brannigan Mine cabins. Then, a real treat.....that rained turned into Snow!!! It so awesome and beautiful traveling in the Snowstorm!!! Just awesome!!!! Like I said, this trip was EPIC!!! It snowed and snowed and snowed!!! The trip was beautiful!!! Decided there was no point going to Aikens Mine or the Lava Tube, so hit up the Mojave Mail box, and Frog shrine.........and kept driving through the snow!! Eventually, the snow stopped and we got down across Kelbaker Road and over to the Branigan Mine Road and up to the cabins and both cabins were available!!! So, I got us out of the weather, had an incredible drive through snow.......and got us two houses to sleep in for the night!!!!!

So, weather......was really Not a problem, as our tour guide (ME) had an alternate plan that just worked out!! So see, those who bailed because of the rain should have trusted their tour guide!!!! We had not one, but two super clean habitable and heated cabins for the night!!!
I stayed in the bigger one, but if y'all had made it out, we could have but you guys in the small cabin and the rest of us could easily have fit into the bigger one!!

Easter Sunday, after breakfast and getting packed back up, we locked up the cabins (made sure they were left better than we found them) and headed back down to the Mojave Road. But, because of all of the rain Commiefornia has had......and the storm that we Just had.........Soda Lake remains closed, so we aired back up and headed to Baker. Got a little bit of $6.00 gas, $20 in lotto tickets and hit I 15 to Razor Road for the Soda Lake Bypass!!!
After a couple of miles of getting the crap beat out of us on that road, we aired back down again! Had some fun in the sand dunes for a little bit, then across the Mojave Flood plains to the Borax mines and climbed some hills and explored a bit, then over to the Afton Canyon bridge.......took pictures......then played in the streams of water all the way through the canyon!! It was literally the Most fun I've had driving through there in years!!!! What a blast!!!
The Water crossing going to the campground was a bit disappointment, as I'm not sure where all of the water went, especially when we were able to play in the water all the way through the canyon!!! Got to the campground, aired back up, changed air filter in my truck and hit the road!!!! We encountered another Huge storm on I 15, but I got off on Cima Road and headed up to Rileys Camp and to Geer Cabin (my favorite cabin out there) and of course.....more rain and snow for a couple more hours, but who cared........as I was at my home for the next four (4) days!!!! I got my flood lights out, one of my four EcoFlow Solar generators out and lit up the cabin, got heater running and we (me and the dog) were good to go!!!!

I stayed until Thursday and came home.....just in time to miss the 22* nights that would have been in store for us had we stayed!!!

THE END!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: