My '94 F150 XL Build & Adventures

• HTML tutorial

Teague

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fairview, TN
Member #

With weather in the negatives, are you using more than reflectix for insulation? And what kind of tracks did you use for your drawers? I like the older F150s, nice truck.

Reactions: GRIMGPR and Anon

Anon

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

With weather in the negatives, are you using more than reflectix for insulation? And what kind of tracks did you use for your drawers? I like the older F150s, nice truck.
Thanks! I've put a lot of work into it so far over the past year. I'm only running the reflectix so far and it seems to be working well. Definitely makes a difference and doesn't allow moisture to build up on the surface of the canopy anymore which is nice in itself. I didn't use any tracks (technically) the "tracks" are in the pics. So to avoid to much friction sliding wood on wood, I laid down two metal strips (carpet seam transitions?) per drawer to allow them to slide better. I also waxed the hell out of the bottom of the drawer. This helps them slide significantly better. The stain caused them to stick a little bit, but it went away after using the drawers for awhile. Now, fully loaded, even my girlfriend who is a whopping 110lbs can pull out the drawer with a good tug. I think the main reason it was sticky though is I made the drawers just a little to wide to begin with. Either way, it made its ruts and works perfectly. I would not go back and use real tracks. They're spendy for heavy duty ones to handle as much weight as I carry. Much better for me to just run the wood with the metal sliders.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Anon

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Obviously, not exactly organized or fully loaded at the moment, but it works fantastically. I usually organize it per trip and take most stuff out that's of value in case my truck gets broken into.

Reactions: GRIMGPR

Anon

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

So, in turn of taking a break from the truck for a bit to save up some funds, decided to break out the 4 wheeler and go for a trip. Ended up riding back into Knik Glacier, AK with a buddy of mine. Overall, we rode for just over 50miles round trip. We ate lunch at the glacier after blazing a trail to get there and crossing a few frozen rivers in 4° weather. We also had a special surprise this trip and we're blessed to see well over 10-15 different moose, lots of mommas with babies, and even got to see a couple moose go at it and kick each other. Needless to say, it was a beautiful trip. I only wish I had my GoPro for this trip. Any of you end up in AK, this is one trip you've gotta make.

Note: it's a lot gnarlier in the summer due to the mud, but easier in the winter. Just a bit colder so you gotta choose your poison and plan wisely.

Here are some pics from the trip. [emoji1303]

Anon

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Got some much needed maintenance done the other day. Changed out the T-Case fluid, Front Dif, and converted to running Royal Purple. Next step will be to install my Shorty Headers I have laying around in the garage and will be regearing the axles to from 3.31 to 3.73 gears so I can run 33x11.5 tires and still have adequate power. [emoji1303]

Anon

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Well, with a wonderful tax return coming my way, I decided to get a head start on doing a much needed upgrade to the truck. Just went out and bought 2 33x12.5R15 Hankook Dynapro MT's [emoji1303] Upgraded from 31x10.5R15 BFG All Terrain KO's and the difference is beautiful.
Just have to wait for my tax return to buy 3 more tires and put on my 3" body lift.

Anon

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Finally got the tires on and she is lookin fiiiiine. Only had to trim my front bumper just a tad, but that's okay. Decided not to install my body lift and simply save up for a 4" suspension lift. Tax returns got me a new K&N Cold Air Intake and new body mounts to replace a couple rubber ones that are now starting to crack a little. All of which is in the mail now and will be updating as things come along!

ach078

Rank 0

Contributor I

I'm buying a 94 F150 off of a buddy of mine next week and I was thinking about making that into an overland vehicle but it would need a lot of work. The truck is in good shape has the 302 in it and less than 90K miles the biggest decision I need to make is do I want to convert it to a 4x4 or just use the 01 blazer I'm getting off him as well. Any thoughts or ideas?

Reactions: GRIMGPR and Anon

Anon

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

I'm buying a 94 F150 off of a buddy of mine next week and I was thinking about making that into an overland vehicle but it would need a lot of work. The truck is in good shape has the 302 in it and less than 90K miles the biggest decision I need to make is do I want to convert it to a 4x4 or just use the 01 blazer I'm getting off him as well. Any thoughts or ideas?

If the Blazer is 4x4 and you can afford a roof top tent, I would probably just stick with the blazer. I had an 01 Jimmy before this and they do great Offroad with minimal work. Just carry extra 4x4 actuators and learn how to install them. I got it down to under 5min to install one. Haha plus, better gas mileage in the Blazer.

Converting the truck to 4x4 is just to much work. I love my truck, but if you want a truck like I did, buy one that is already 4x4. Otherwise you're just spending a lot of unnecessary money in my personal opinion.

Reactions: GRIMGPR and ach078

Anon

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

The 01 Blazer also has a very strong frame. Ford frames are known to warp and flex. If anything,if you decide to keep the Blazer instead, just use the money you were going to on the Ford to make it 4x4 and upgrade the Blazer to D44's all around and get rid of the IFS and tiny rear axle.

Reactions: GRIMGPR and ach078

Anon

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Decided to order some small performance parts to give the truck a little extra mmph and to improve gas mileage a bit. I gotta say, I am NOT disappointed.

Just got done installing a K&N Cold Air Intake System and an AirRaid throttle body spacer.

Next on the list performance wise:

1) BBK 61mm Performance Throttle Body
2) Edelbrock Performance Air Intake Manifold
3) Install Headers and have custom true dual exhaust made with hi-flow cats.

One step at a time [emoji1303]

Anon

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Put the roof basket on and decided to see how well she flexed with the new tires. Not bad in my opinion for running 33's and no lift.

Decided to go with the Surco Safari Rack and I'm diggin it. Now, just to get the mounts for the accessories.

Anon

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Well, finally got a BUNCH of work done to the OBS. Just had my 4" Rough Country Lift Kit installed and I am not disappointed in the slightest. Has a nice smooth ride on road and is well equipped to handle off-road terrain. I also am now part of the 4.10 club. Had both axles regeared from 3.55 to 4.10 gears with a Posi in the rear end. No lockers yet, but this will do for now.

Decided to do a break in run to Jim Creek, AK just off the Old Glenn Hwy. Always a beautiful trip [emoji631]

Anon

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

For Memorial Day weekend, the lady, pooch and I all decided to head out to Lake Louis in AK for some fun. Got to break in the new suspension a bit (a lot) and do a bit of fishing. Needless to say, we all had a great time! Even got to mob my toy (1987 Subaru GL Wagon) around for its maiden voyage and she did pretty well despite blowing out a shock and shredding the timing belt lol

Anon

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Well, just got back from an amazing 2 week camping trip. Decided to travel my own state and play tourist a bit. Left from Anchorage, drove the Denali Highway, then into Fairbanks. From Fairbanks we hit Chena Hot Springs and enjoyed our time there. Camped at a few places in between all that and had a fantastic time.

After Chena we headed out and did some fishing on the Chena River and decided to test out the 4x4 a bit by driving down the river in water ranging from 1-3ft deep to our own little private island. Lunch was made and some fishing ensued. No boat needed [emoji1303][emoji631]

Lots of other stops here and there for fishing and to get off the pavement a bit and explore some trails. Eventually made it up to the Arctic Circle off of the Dalton Highway. With our ultimate goal being to make it to Deadhorse, we didn't stay long. We took our pictures and hit the road eventually making to Coldfoot.

Once in Coldfoot, we enjoyed the lovely price of gasoline at like $4.50gal and the restaurant that was there. Service was excellent and we enjoyed a much needed meal consisting of BLT's. It was then I noticed some play in the steering so we decided to pull in and make camp just outside of Coldfoot. Took a look underneath and my Tie Rod end was hanging onto dear life. Being in the middle of nowhere where even buying one tire can cost upwards of $400, we decided it was best to just turn around and try again another day. Breaking down was not an option and can get VERY expensive that far north in AK. No repairs and just a tow, can run $600+ depending on where you are and where you need to go.

The trip back was a nice babied limp all the way back to anchorage doing about 45-50mph. With more fishing of course and stopping at Denali national park. The trip did not disappoint and I recommend it to all overlanders who travel to AK.